Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New member-bowling ball suggestions

High Roller
    Chats: 0

Default New member-bowling ball suggestions

Hello all. New guy here but started bowling about 35 years ago. Started around 1980 in 5th grade and bowled until about 2002 until an elbow injury forced me to give it up. I was about a 195 bowler when I quit. Around early 90's I bought a new Brunswick Cobalt Rhino and used that until I left but threw all of my stuff away after that. Decided to give it a try again so looking for suggestions. I am a lefty and use a fingertip grip. I throw a traditional stance about 16-17 MPH. I stand with my left foot just to the left of the third dot (about board 27) and throw over the first arrow on the left. No fancy wrist work. Just a natural straight motion with a straight follow through. My balls always have a nice even arc the whole way though but am not opposed to something that bites harder. Definitely don't want any less hook. Probably looking at a 15lb ball. I have always used 16lb but was told nobody uses those anymore. I have been a Brunswick guy but am open to others. Found a Brunswick Quantam Black brand new pretty cheap. How are these? Decent or outdated?

I have a fat thumb (and left handed) so hard to find others with a similar pattern for me to try. Did talk to a guy the other night that has an old Ebonite from about 2010 he said I could have Forget which ball but he is a serious bowler with a huge hook so probably a decent ball. I could use this short term but need something made for me. Tuesday night I bowled a 168, 150 and 192 using a teammates ball that is a right-hander so was happy with that.

Been away for so long and have had guys telling me my old ball from 20 years ago wouldn't be any good today anyway soooo. In fact, Tuesday night was the first time I ever bowled competitively on synthetic lanes.

Thanks and I know it is a vague question but just looking for a direction

Bowling Guru
    Chats: 13

Quote Originally Posted by boatman37 View Post
    Hello all. New guy here but started bowling about 35 years ago. Started around 1980 in 5th grade and bowled until about 2002 until an elbow injury forced me to give it up. I was about a 195 bowler when I quit. Around early 90's I bought a new Brunswick Cobalt Rhino and used that until I left but threw all of my stuff away after that. Decided to give it a try again so looking for suggestions. I am a lefty and use a fingertip grip. I throw a traditional stance about 16-17 MPH. I stand with my left foot just to the left of the third dot (about board 27) and throw over the first arrow on the left. No fancy wrist work. Just a natural straight motion with a straight follow through. My balls always have a nice even arc the whole way though but am not opposed to something that bites harder. Definitely don't want any less hook. Probably looking at a 15lb ball. I have always used 16lb but was told nobody uses those anymore. I have been a Brunswick guy but am open to others. Found a Brunswick Quantam Black brand new pretty cheap. How are these? Decent or outdated?

I have a fat thumb (and left handed) so hard to find others with a similar pattern for me to try. Did talk to a guy the other night that has an old Ebonite from about 2010 he said I could have Forget which ball but he is a serious bowler with a huge hook so probably a decent ball. I could use this short term but need something made for me. Tuesday night I bowled a 168, 150 and 192 using a teammates ball that is a right-hander so was happy with that.

Been away for so long and have had guys telling me my old ball from 20 years ago wouldn't be any good today anyway soooo. In fact, Tuesday night was the first time I ever bowled competitively on synthetic lanes.

Thanks and I know it is a vague question but just looking for a direction
    15# will be less stress on your arm and wrist. There are still people using 16# especially at the pro level, but most local shops carry a very limited selection at that weight.
    Any thing you buy whether new or used should be drilled to fit you. Most pro shops can do a decent job doing an oval thumb.
    John

High Roller

yeah, definitely going to get anything drilled specifically for me. Just saying that to 'test' different ones is hard because not many have a ball I can fit or grip.

Any opinions on that Quantam Black?

Chats: 32

It hits good better than average I'd say pretty strong on the backend but it can suffer somewhat from over/under as most polished balls do.
    I am a proud member of Bowlingboards.com bowling forums and ball contest winner

Current arsenal

900 Global Badger Claw - Radical Ridiculous Pearl - Spare Ball Ebonite T Zone

High Roller

when you say over/under what are you referring to? missing your mark by a board or two? sorry but i'm not up on much on technical terminology. I was just pretty good at hitting the pins with the ball...lol. i guess because back when I bowled we didn't have forums or Google to research this stuff. We just showed up and bowled. I research everything now, hence my being here

Super Moderator
    Blog Entries
    Chats: 554

when you say over/under what are you referring to? missing your mark by a board or two? sorry but i'm not up on much on technical terminology. I was just pretty good at hitting the pins with the ball...lol. i guess because back when I bowled we didn't have forums or Google to research this stuff. We just showed up and bowled. I research everything now, hence my being here
    A Over/Under reaction is where the ball skids too much in the oil and hooks too violently in the dry, You can see this alot with polished balls. That's why sometimes you sand a ball to even out the reaction.

You can also have "Over/Under conditions", also called wet/dry on the lanes which can cause a similar reaction.

Tech Talk: What is an over/under reaction?
    Last edited by bowl1820; 01-11-2018 at 05:12 PM.

Right handed Stroker, high track ,about 13 degree axis tilt. PAP is located 5 9/16” over 1 3/4” up.Speed ave. about 14 mph at the pins. Medium rev’s.High Game 300, High series 798

"Talent without training is nothing." Luke Skywalker

High Roller

Thanks. Spent some time watching videos on drilling, etc. Never learned any of that. Gonna talk to the pro shop at our bowling alley. I just don't want him steering me into a 'bargain' ball that he needs to get off his shelf. I used to know what balls were good and what were junk but after 15 years I have no idea. Found the Quantam Black on eBay brand new. Bid is about $20 plus $20 shipping but if he is going to charge me $60 to drill it then I am probably further ahead buying one from the pro shop for about $150 with free drilling.

Super Moderator
    Blog Entries
    Chats: 554

Any opinions on that Quantam Black?
    Take a look at Laneside review of the Q.Black.
    (Laneside does some good reviews and have a couple of different styles of bowlers rolling the ball.)

Right handed Stroker, high track ,about 13 degree axis tilt. PAP is located 5 9/16” over 1 3/4” up.Speed ave. about 14 mph at the pins. Medium rev’s.High Game 300, High series 798

"Talent without training is nothing." Luke Skywalker

High Roller

Nice! Man I have a lot of catching up to do.

Thanks!

High Roller

PSO has a Black Widow Gold that he thinks will be a good ball for me. Thoughts on those? Last week I got a Storm Sync from a fellow lefty and drilled pretty close for me. First game with it last week was a 244 but then threw a 123 and a 187. Tonight was bad. 161, 148, and 167. Ball wasn't the problem, bowler was. I really like thi Storm but when it starts to dry up I struggle with it. Has tons of backend. I like it when lanes are normal but just a bit much when they dry up.

Also picked up a Hammer Spike, Hammer Bad A$$, Columbia Oath, and a Hammer Absolut Curve. Long story. Anyway, these are all used and drilled for a righty so if I used any of them I would need to have them redrilled. Shop charges $70 to redrill with new tips so not sure it is worth it. Thinking about having one of the Spikes redrilled to use on drier lanes though. Then my next new ball will be a hard hooking ball for more oily conditions?

Thoughts or opinions on the Black Widow Gold?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast