Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: League Payouts

Quote Originally Posted by GrumpyCatFace View Post
    Sounds like a pretty simple business decision.

- Fridays, you probably don't have leagues, because you'll make more from open bowlers.

- Weekdays, when the place would be empty, load up on leagues at half or 3/4 pricing. Make sure there's an incentive for winning.

If you figure half of the weekly "lane fee" take as an advertising budget, to pack your business, it would be a no-brainer. Enforce your no drinks rule, and make sure it's a fun time for people. Maybe on the "Men's League" night, tell some off-color jokes on the mic, and get the mood going. Set your music to the theme of the league - country/classic for Sr League, for example.

These things are not hard to figure out, but bowling center owners don't seem very business savvy types.
    You can't take what you know from your local center and apply it unilaterally. I've bowled league in Northern Ohio. I've bowled league in California. I've bowled league in North Carolina. Now I bowl league in Las Vegas. The centers in these four areas of the country have virtually nothing in common. It may be a little harder to figure out than you think!

Meh.. apply as needed to your business. If you've got a packed house of open bowlers every night, then there's no point to having a league at all. Might be time to expand the place, or build another one.

Around here at least, the places are completely empty all week, and have a moderate crowd on weekends - birthday parties, etc.

The business justification for a league is to get people in the place. It's doesn't need to be billed at full price, it's marketing. Those league bowlers will be in more regularly to practice, buy more accessories, and support the place better than open bowlers. Bill it at 75% or so, and keep the business viable, instead of bleeding them for every penny, and killing your sport.

Chats: 0

I have to agree with Rob on this one. Every center is different and it's not even geographic. For example: Saturday when I left work we were fully booked and for the rest of the night with reservations. On my way home I stopped at another center to fill out paperwork for one of the leagues I joined, there were a small handful of cars in the lot and maybe 5 or 6 lanes in use out of 30, nobody in the bar. The place was dead. Each center has to play to their strengths to stay out of the red.

Leagues are the bread and butter, it's definite money every week for the duration. Open bowling is very dependant on many things. If it's 70's or 80's and sunny outside chances are you'll be dead. If suddenly it starts pouring then you'll have a line at the door. I've seen it happen many times. Now that school is or has gone back depending on the area, that will have a big impact as well. Depending on open bowling is risky, leagues are a sure thing.
    Last edited by Phonetek; 08-27-2018 at 02:35 PM.
    Bowling Center Manager
    Arsenal consists of mainly 15# Motiv balls, I have several now and they are the bomb! Too many to list and carry. Still have a couple Hammer balls and my AMF RPM Swirl (old reliable) & 25+yr old Linds worth a mention
    Currently 535+ Rev Rate @ 19 MPH (This probably needs to be updated, I think I've toned each down a click or two these days. I'm letting the ball do more of the work as I get older.)

Pin Crusher

I did a little home work before posting.
    Our center has 14 adult leagues.
    It has 1200 league bowlers.
    Lineage from these leagues is about $400,000
    I am only guessing but have been told that should cover most of the expenses.
    Open bowling, party's etc. is probably $150,000
    The profit comes from food and alcohol.
    Friday night There is probably 100 people watching the 120 bowlers.
    2/3's of them drinking. Plus the people in the bar for karaoke.
    Party bowling places might make more for a while then the new thing comes along and they go broke like the local hot spots do.

Top heavy payoff leagues sound good for a while but if you don't make the top payoff in a few years you go away like many of those league do.
    More fair distribution league seem to keep teams for longer.

Sounds like leagues are the “bread, butter, cake, and icing” too.

People will only overpay for participation trophies so long.

This is probably a stupid question that I SHOULD know the answer to but who is supposed to provide the trophies? Is it the center, the league or USBC on a certified league? Personally I could care less about yet another chunk of wood, metal and plastic to sit on a shelf that I rarely look at. I have enough from years past and some have been in boxes in the attic for 20 years or longer. LOL
    Bowling Center Manager
    Arsenal consists of mainly 15# Motiv balls, I have several now and they are the bomb! Too many to list and carry. Still have a couple Hammer balls and my AMF RPM Swirl (old reliable) & 25+yr old Linds worth a mention
    Currently 535+ Rev Rate @ 19 MPH (This probably needs to be updated, I think I've toned each down a click or two these days. I'm letting the ball do more of the work as I get older.)

Quote Originally Posted by Phonetek View Post
    This is probably a stupid question that I SHOULD know the answer to but who is supposed to provide the trophies? Is it the center, the league or USBC on a certified league? Personally I could care less about yet another chunk of wood, metal and plastic to sit on a shelf that I rarely look at. I have enough from years past and some have been in boxes in the attic for 20 years or longer. LOL
    Lol if you’re referring to my comment, I meant the notion that you “might break even” after winning a bowling league, because every team needs a payout of some kind. Not physical trophies.

And apparently, the center needs to be paid full price for the bowling, and the “secretary” needs to draw a salary.

Pin Crusher

What are you talking about? Your bowling fee is lineage, prize fund including awards and sec. fee. You obviously don't know what a secretary/treasurer does.

Quote Originally Posted by fordman1 View Post
    What are you talking about? Your bowling fee is lineage, prize fund including awards and sec. fee. You obviously don't know what a secretary/treasurer does.
    I’m talking about all 3, actually.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast