Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: League Payouts

Chats: 0

Default League Payouts

I'm in a non-sanctioned league that has never had any prizes, but they're considering building a small prize fund. The proposed payout structure is paying out every team and from what I can tell that's pretty standard in bowling. Some people favor a structure that would only pay the top few teams in order to have bigger prizes without paying more each week.

What's the reasoning behind paying out all teams? My best guess is that it's to prevent teams from not paying later in the season when they're clearly out of contention for the top spots. Is there another reason?

Chats: 32

Partially to make sure teams don't quite but it also feels better when everyone gets something. You will notice some leagues have more top heavy payout schedules most big money leagues tend to pay more towards the winners than the lower finishers.
    I am a proud member of Bowlingboards.com bowling forums and ball contest winner

Current arsenal

900 Global Badger Claw - Radical Ridiculous Pearl - Spare Ball Ebonite T Zone

Super Moderator
    Blog Entries
    Chats: 554

Quote Originally Posted by PBizme View Post
    What's the reasoning behind paying out all teams? My best guess is that it's to prevent teams from not paying later in the season when they're clearly out of contention for the top spots. Is there another reason?
    As Amyers said everybody likes to get something, They don't want to fell like they are paying into a prizefund and not get anything themselves And that's a consideration, a team feels it's out of contention and not going to get anything yeah they can quit then the prizefund is short.

As for the structure of the prizelist, You don't want it too top heavy, but you don't want it too flat either.

Top heavy the lower places feel slighted, Too flat and there's no incentive to compete to move up in the standings.

Sometimes if you don't have a lot of money in the prizefund, You could do a flatter prizelist just add a cheap trophy & plaque to 1st&2nd place. You could also see if you can get local business's to donate thing's for prizes that team places could also win.

Right handed Stroker, high track ,about 13 degree axis tilt. PAP is located 5 9/16” over 1 3/4” up.Speed ave. about 14 mph at the pins. Medium rev’s.High Game 300, High series 798

"Talent without training is nothing." Luke Skywalker

Pin Crusher

Being in a non Certified league is risky. You have no assurances that you will get anything even if you win. It would be better if the prize fund is really small to have a night out for the league at a nice restaurant of bar. Honor the best team and bowlers at the banquet or have it at a hall.

Chats: 10

In one of my leagues, weekly rate is cheap, $10. No matter what everyone gets the same amount of money, mostly from the 50/50. In my other league, 50/50 is split evenly and then each teams winnings are slightly different based on where they are in the standings. But it’s never a huge difference. I joined a new league this year and not sure how it will be done.
    In my bag: Roto Grip UFO, Roto Grip Hyper Cell Fused and Roto Grip Hustle hyb

League High Series: 745 (12/23/19) High Game: 300 (11/23/15)

Proud member of BowlingBoards.com

I just finished my first league - a sanctioned fall league.

On the treasurers report, it shows that they took 2/3 of the money for “lane fees”. Is this typical?

Super Moderator
    Blog Entries
    Chats: 554

Quote Originally Posted by GrumpyCatFace View Post
    I just finished my first league - a sanctioned fall league.

On the treasurers report, it shows that they took 2/3 of the money for “lane fees”. Is this typical?
    If your referring to the lineage that the league pays the house, That's sounds pretty close it would depend on what the house is charging for lineage, any extra monies added.

Example:

Here the "League Fees" (The amount you pay each night to bowl) is $15 a night. The breakdown is $11.50 Lineage, .50˘ Secretary Fee, $3.00 for the Prizefund.

There are 32 four player teams and we bowl for 36 weeks, Total fees $69,120.00 - So Lineage:$52,992.00, Sec. $2304.00, PF $13,824.00 + (other added monies) PF total: $14,592.00

So $52,992.00 is about 2/3rds or little more

Right handed Stroker, high track ,about 13 degree axis tilt. PAP is located 5 9/16” over 1 3/4” up.Speed ave. about 14 mph at the pins. Medium rev’s.High Game 300, High series 798

"Talent without training is nothing." Luke Skywalker

Wowza. So we paid $17/wk, and $12 to the house. That’s $4 a game, which isn’t terrible, but I guess I’d better take advantage of the free bowling.

High Roller

We paid $17.50 per night. 5 man teams 17 teams. So roughly $53,000 into fund. My team got $2.90/game each. Not sure what other teams got but should be close.
    Arsenal "15# Global Eternity Pi-45x4.5x40" "15# 900 Global Xponent-60x4.5x40" "15# 900 Global Zen Soul-60x4.5x40" "15# Roto Grip Idol Helios-90 x 2.25 x 45" "15# 900 Global Altered Reality-50x3.625x30" "15# Brunswick Uppercut-80x3.625x35" "15# Brunswick Igniter-70x5.5x35" "15# Raw Hammer Pearl 45x5.75x40" "15# Brunswick T-Zone"
    Rev Rate about 270 @ about 15.5 MPH at the pins* High Game: 290 - High Series: 733. PAP: 5 1/8"x1" up; tilt 20*, rotation 75*. YTD highs - 290-733
    Oh, and LEFTY!!!

Quote Originally Posted by bowl1820 View Post

So $52,992.00 is about 2/3rds or little more
    Now does everyone see why leagues are a bowling centers bread and butter? $4 a game would be considered our "regular price". I believe but don't quote me that leagues at our house pay $3 a game. Regardless, more or less leagues fill the lanes for us in the fall in most cases even $2 it's guaranteed money for us. On the same night without a league we definitely wouldn't fill the lanes with open bowlers every week. Not to mention open bowlers rarely buy bowling supplies, tape, new skin and such. In addition to the bar money. That's why we take good care of our leagues. Oh and league bowlers never pay shoe rental and $2 a game for open bowling (guests included) unless we have a cheaper special.

As far as prize funds, it seemed to me that each league was different. Some brought in trophies, others trinkets or free bowling balls and some did nothing no money, no prizes. One in particular last Thursday divided it on a percentage, first place got the most. They paid extra per week toward prize money and also threw the money from pots that nobody had won like the mystery pot on the pile. First - third place got trophies, they passed out plaques and patches for the high scores, most improved bowler award, high average, most strikes in a row and so on. Like all our leagues it was un-certified but they seemed to take care of the prizes pretty well. I'm happy to say they also took very good of their bartender (me) as well. It sucks I have to wait all summer for these guys to get back together. They were a bunch of goofs but they were fun. I'm tempted to jump on the pile and join them next year because it would be fun but since they tip great I think I'd rather work it instead.
    Bowling Center Manager
    Arsenal consists of mainly 15# Motiv balls, I have several now and they are the bomb! Too many to list and carry. Still have a couple Hammer balls and my AMF RPM Swirl (old reliable) & 25+yr old Linds worth a mention
    Currently 535+ Rev Rate @ 19 MPH (This probably needs to be updated, I think I've toned each down a click or two these days. I'm letting the ball do more of the work as I get older.)

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast