Thread: Anyone still wear the old school brass heel plates on their bowling shoes?

Chats: 0

Default Anyone still wear the old school brass heel plates on their bowling shoes?

I didn't even realize I still had them on my Linds. I had a few different pairs of heel plates with different nick names of the times. Currently they are just my name. Since Linds are still so retro looking, I'll keep the heel plates on them for posterity. I wonder if you can still get them made today?

Super Moderator
    Blog Entries
    Chats: 554

Quote Originally Posted by Phonetek View Post
    I didn't even realize I still had them on my Linds. I had a few different pairs of heel plates with different nick names of the times. Currently they are just my name. Since Linds are still so retro looking, I'll keep the heel plates on them for posterity. I wonder if you can still get them made today?
    I've ran across ads for them off-n-on so they can still be found, but that's like having your name engraved on your ball. It was fad years ago, but you don't really see it done these days.

Right handed Stroker, high track ,about 13 degree axis tilt. PAP is located 5 9/16” over 1 3/4” up.Speed ave. about 14 mph at the pins. Medium rev’s.High Game 300, High series 798

"Talent without training is nothing." Luke Skywalker

Quote Originally Posted by bowl1820 View Post
    I've ran across ads for them off-n-on so they can still be found, but that's like having your name engraved on your ball. It was fad years ago, but you don't really see it done these days.
    Okay I'm gonna sound completely out of touch by saying this but......SERIOUSLY!?! Name engraving on the ball is fading out? Oh come on! Let me guess, your name in big letters on the back of a bowling shirt are out too these days?

Super Moderator
    Blog Entries

Okay I'm gonna sound completely out of touch by saying this but......SERIOUSLY!?! Name engraving on the ball is fading out? Oh come on! Let me guess, your name in big letters on the back of a bowling shirt are out too these days?
    Well if your a little kid, engraving is still cool.

But most players quit that years ago, not having a name on it helped when you tried to sell it or trade it in (back when proshops took trade ins, which thats kind of died off too) it was one less thing that had to be plugged.

As for shirts if your in tournaments or pba name is okay.

As for leagues, well not so much these days. Having Your name or company branding on shirts, a lot of people just think your being pretentious.
    Last edited by bowl1820; 01-10-2018 at 05:36 PM.

Right handed Stroker, high track ,about 13 degree axis tilt. PAP is located 5 9/16” over 1 3/4” up.Speed ave. about 14 mph at the pins. Medium rev’s.High Game 300, High series 798

LOL Nope I'm far from being a little kid. Wow, talk about taking all the fun out of it. I may for-go my name in huge letters on the back of the shirt but I did see a nice polo that Hammer makes I'm probably gonna get. Gotta at least have something comfortable that looks good to bowl in. As far as the name on my ball....hmmm well by the time I'm done with them nobody would want them. I liked having my name on it because so many people tend to have the same ball, easier to find it on the lazy susan. =) As far as looking pretentious I guess that's one of those things where people make judgment calls before getting to know someone. Possibly a good way to filter out idiots?

SandBagger

My guess is that back in "the day" people only had one or maybe two bowling balls and they kept them for a long time. Engraving the name would be natural. Nowadays, people replace their equipment so fast it's not worth personalizing it.
    Averages: Right (THS):215 | Left (THS):175 | Sport:166 |High Game:300 | High Series:815
    Arsenal: Storm Tropical Storm, 900 Black Ops, Motiv Tank

Quote Originally Posted by TCJ View Post
    My guess is that back in "the day" people only had one or maybe two bowling balls and they kept them for a long time. Engraving the name would be natural. Nowadays, people replace their equipment so fast it's not worth personalizing it.
    With the prices now? That shocks me. Then again, funds have been tight for our family for some time. If I made the money I once did, dropping a few hundred now and then wouldn't be a big deal. At this point when I get my new stuff I will throw them until they become ovals unless something drastically changes

Bowling Guru
    Chats: 13

I think you need to post a picture of these shoes. I’ve been bowling at least one league per year since 1975, and don’t recall ever seeing shoes with name plates on the back.
    John

Super Moderator
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by J Anderson View Post
    I think you need to post a picture of these shoes. I’ve been bowling at least one league per year since 1975, and don’t recall ever seeing shoes with name plates on the back.
    The little brass heel plates were just little accesssories you could buy and add to your shoe. You tacked them on with a little nail.

Heres a company that sells them, trophy shops use to sell them also.

http://www.customnames.com/lacetags.html

Last edited by bowl1820; 01-11-2018 at 12:19 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by bowl1820 View Post
    The little brass heel plates were just little accesssories you could buy and add to your shoe. You tacked them on with a little nail.

Heres a company that sells them, trophy shops use to sell them also.

http://www.customnames.com/lacetags.html

Okay so you beat me to it while I was typing the reply LOL