Thread: Question about what's legal during game play these days

Chats: 0

Default Question about what's legal during game play these days

I'm sure this has been covered at some point on this site but I haven't run across it as of yet so forgive me. I know back in the day during league or tournament you were allowed to wipe your ball with a towel of course. I'm a bit fuzzy but I "think" you were allowed to use regular alcohol to wipe it too? I'm not sure if you were only allowed to do that prior to it starting or only if you had some foreign debris on the ball. I can't remember if you were able to do it otherwise. Before or after you were allowed to scuff, sand or polish. Again, don't quote me because my ol brain don't work as well as it used to. I can't even remember if you could use those cloth cradles between shots although I never bothered with them.
    I see they now have micro-fiber towels and shammies. Would it be a safe assumption that you can also use those like any other towel before each shot? I would also assume you still cannot scuff, sand or polish once play began? So what are the rules these days, what can you do and use once play had started? We didn't have all the doo-dads and chemicals like they have today. Personally I've always believed in the "less is more" philosophy but that's obviously an outdated way of thinking now. I'm soon to buy all new stuff. I want to have the best game plan ahead of time on what I need to buy and the proper things to buy. I'd like to buy everything in one shot rather than shop at the pro shop every day.

Super Moderator
    Blog Entries
    Chats: 554

Quote Originally Posted by Phonetek View Post
    So what are the rules these days,
    2017-2018 USBC Playing Rules
    http://usbcongress.http.internapcdn....18Rulebook.pdf

Commonly Asked Questions – Rule 18.
    18/1 When may I alter the surface of my bowling ball?
    a. Cleaning – Cleaners approved for use any time may be utilized before, during or after
    certified competition; cleaners approved for only before and after competition may only be
    used during these times. The use of a ball spinner is prohibited during competition.

b. Sanding – You are permitted to sand the surface of your bowling balls prior to certified
    competition; however, the use of abrasives is strictly prohibited once the first ball is thrown
    in the competition.

c. Polishing – You are permitted to polish the surface of your bowling ball prior to certified
    competition. However, once tournament or league play begins, the use of a ball spinner is
    strictly prohibited.

Approved Cleaners and Polishes
    http://usbcongress.http.internapcdn....ner_polish.pdf

Non-Approved Cleaners and Polishes
    http://usbcongress.http.internapcdn....ner_polish.pdf

Note: Certified competition begins when the first ball is rolled for score by "anyone in the league or tournament"

Also you can't use the ball polishing machine (Lustre King) once certified competition begins and yes Micro-fiber towels and leather shammys are okay to use.

Unless otherwise provided by League or Tournament rules.
    Last edited by bowl1820; 01-12-2018 at 06:25 PM.

Right handed Stroker, high track ,about 13 degree axis tilt. PAP is located 5 9/16” over 1 3/4” up.Speed ave. about 14 mph at the pins. Medium rev’s.High Game 300, High series 798

"Talent without training is nothing." Luke Skywalker

All I can say is that has got to me the most thorough and intelligent answer I have ever seen. I am surprised to see Simple Green as an anytime use cleaner. Then again, I couldn't picture keeping a soaked towel with anything on it at the ball return.

Quote Originally Posted by bowl1820 View Post

Also you can't use the ball polishing machine (Lustre King) once certified competition begins[/I]
    They're still around? Btw, thanks for the LMGTFY.

These days Pro shops are charging $5 a pop to polish/scuff up a ball. And it takes all of maybe 1 minute. I bought my own spinner, thank you very much. As much as I maintain my ball surfaces, it will pay for itself soon.

Super Moderator
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Eddy View Post
    They're still around? Btw, thanks for the LMGTFY.

These days Pro shops are charging $5 a pop to polish/scuff up a ball. And it takes all of maybe 1 minute. I bought my own spinner, thank you very much. As much as I maintain my ball surfaces, it will pay for itself soon.
    The Lustre King type machines are still around, Lustre King is just the old Brunswick brand.

Brunswicks is now called the Ballworx Ball Polisher.

The ball polishers like those are okay for your Plastic and urethane ball, but I'd only put a resin ball in one if it was a emergency.

Ball spinner is always a good investment.

Right handed Stroker, high track ,about 13 degree axis tilt. PAP is located 5 9/16” over 1 3/4” up.Speed ave. about 14 mph at the pins. Medium rev’s.High Game 300, High series 798

Super Moderator
    Blog Entries

Just for reference:

World Bowling Statutes and Playing Rules
    http://www.worldbowling.org/wp-conte...2016-03-31.pdf

4.10 Bowling ball, altering surface

4.10.1 Bowling ball surface adjustments by hand are acceptable between games provided they are
    done in the designated area and that the adjustment procedure does not delay the bowler‟s
    next turn. Use of chemicals see 2.10.1.

Altering the surface of the bowling ball, besides what is mentioned in 4.10.1, is allowed in a
    designated area only during the official practice session, during the practice session
    immediately preceding a competition round, and between competition rounds.

Altering the surface of the bowling ball during a game is not allowed.
    If the surface is adjusted during a game the penalty is zero pinfall in that game

Super Moderator
    Blog Entries

PBA Rulebook
    https://www.pba.com/Content/images/m...BARuleBook.pdf

11.7.2 Altering the Surface of a Ball.
    If the surface friction of the ball is altered by sanding or polishing, the entire surface of the ball must be sanded or polished in a uniform manner.

a. A player may not alter the surface of a ball in any way during any round in which he or she is
    competing including any position round.

b. Each match during a championship round finals shall be considered a separate round.

Just when I thought you had given a complete answer you come up with more. Your last name should be Wiki. Thanks again Bowl1820