Thread: Backswing.....

Default Backswing.....

Tonight, I rolled much better the first game - shot 256, then second game dropped to a 176, had 2 splits but couldn't consistently get to pocket (was mostly high). Chuck was there (my coach) and he pointed out to me in the 8th frame, that I was back to the high back swing again, which during the first 7 frames I was coming around the ball again (track line) was near lable if not on it.

Once I went back to the shorter arm swing, the same ball which was coming high, flushed up to the pocket everytime, ended with 247. I think we nailed something on the head tonight with my track lines - when the high backswing, it causes me to come around the ball too early, thus not staying behind the ball long enough - maybe this was caused from my old days of cranking (or what I called ripping the coverstock off the ball) for so long. The more stroker video I watch, the more I pay attention to backswings, they are much lower or more straighter through the pend swing, but finishing looks like it's varies from person to person, some are straight arm, some bend at the elbow.

What's the physical part of the backswing meant for? I always thought backswing came from starting position of hand in front to increase firmness or speed of ball when necessary??? Though, I do see many people start different heights and positions and pick up speed during upswing or loft.

I'm focusing on this now, since the dropping of the ball has reached an all time low, the past few league nights. I can only remember 3 or 4 times I dropped it, mostly during 10 pin approaches now, but that is another focus point later. My 10 pins have fell off percentage wise since not dropping and keeping low backswing but the ball is rolling much better and consistently not getting over/under reactions, and other people noticed it this past 2 league nights.
    Last edited by Iceman; 02-13-2009 at 04:09 PM.
    Visionary Bowling Staff Representative &
    Member of BowlingBoards.com Bowling Forums

Chats: 3

Don't know. I always change the height I hold my ball at, to vary my speed. I don't force the backswing...in fact, I have no idea how far back I go.
    I used to force the backswing when I started bowling and it seemed to throw my timing off. I hold my ball at chest height...and I usually have to slow down because I've got so much speed my ball doesn't have time to react.
    High Game-279
    High Series-733
    Righty, Tweener, I proudly use products from Storm, Etonic, and Robby Revs.

I'm a proud member of BowlingBoards.com Bowling Forums

Quote Originally Posted by Jord_84 View Post
    Don't know. I always change the height I hold my ball at, to vary my speed. I don't force the backswing...in fact, I have no idea how far back I go.
    I used to force the backswing when I started bowling and it seemed to throw my timing off. I hold my ball at chest height...and I usually have to slow down because I've got so much speed my ball doesn't have time to react.
    Have you ever tried with the high starting position to shortened backswing? I just wonder if that is possible to do? It sounds possible, but also sounds like it would defeat the speed purpose.

Chats: 3

There's a higher starting position than chest height?
    Sometimes it feels like my backswing comes up short...but I power through my forward swing and follow through.
    I should video tape myself....now I'm curious as to where the speed comes from.
    High Game-279
    High Series-733
    Righty, Tweener, I proudly use products from Storm, Etonic, and Robby Revs.

I'm a proud member of BowlingBoards.com Bowling Forums

Quote Originally Posted by Jord_84 View Post
    There's a higher starting position than chest height?
    Sorry, maybe I should have clarified - but using your regular starting position, no matter what position you start hand at, shorten the backswing (If that cancels out reason on higher hand position if your looking for speed)

This sounds like an oxy moron, but it is curiously abstract.

Having a high start position and a short backswing sounds like it would work, but wouldn't be plausible enough to work unless you've done it for a while and got it down stat.

My swing starts at the knee, if not a little lower because of the amount of bend my knees have, and my arm only goes back far enough for the ball to clear my back, and I try to keep my arm straight when i throw and crank the ball as hard as I can.

Doing that leads to most of my strikes, if not leaving 1 or 2 pins behind.

To clarify - I use low hand position to start, short backswing. Keeps me from coming around ball to early while I adapt to stroking instead of cranking. What Jord was stating, was she raises her hand position to get additional speed if necessary, I just wondered if a higher start position to get the speed, would be cancelled out by the shorted backswing.

Strokers use finesse to get strikes, accuracy and less revs - this is what I'm aiming for - a more controlled less stressed approach, I cranked or high rev'd for 10+ years, I just ran out of gas way to early.

I just saw about the speed increase and wondered if it would cancel out, anything can work, just fundamentally would it still keep speed up. I haven't thought that far ahead - if I need more speed how would I get it, if I raise my hand up, my backswing would be longer - using the pend swing. otherwise,it will be forced swing to control back and forth and god only knows what that would turn out to be like.

Chats: 0

The starting position of your swing counts at the time where your arm is extended. What is the ball height at your extension? This will determine how much back swing you have if you just let it fall back. Try to keep the same elevation at your extended arm and let it swing straight back. You will be consistant at hit your target. Good luck.
    Bob from Colo Spgs

Chats: 0

back swing is something I've never been too concerned with. The only things I think about are keeping my arm straight, and my hand behind the ball...beyond that, I typically don't have to worry about it too much. I will adjust the starting position of my ball to increase/decrease the speed, but that is very rare that I find a need for that.

I find that I'm in pretty good shape (strong) so I need to start with a real low ball position to ensure my speed stays down. I really like to swing through the ball and send it donw the lane wwwaaaaay to fast.

Last week I was nice and relaxed, with a smooth release and bowled a 700, so it works for me. I think thats how backswings are...everyone has one, and they are all different
    High Game 289 (quite a few)
    High Series 719
    High average 195

HOLIDAY!!! YOU'RE WEARING YOUR STREET SHOES!