Thread: Anyone use a Urethane ball as their main ball?

Default Anyone use a Urethane ball as their main ball?

Urethane seems to be making a little comeback it seems. I picked up a Blue Hammer urethane (with a modern core) and love it so far. I just shot a 250 with it in only my second game using it. It doesn't have the backend that resin balls have, but all I have to do is lay it down over 2nd arrow with some hand, and it stays around the pocket without over-reacting.

I may give it a go as I'm kind of liking the straighter-to-the-pocket approach right now. But like other things I've tried, it may not last. Thoughts?

Chats: 0

Nothing wrong with going more down and in rather than bellying it out there. Sometimes you're better off. I've been out of it for a while until now so I don't really know, did urethane ever really die? Heck I still see plenty of polyester plastic balls out there. They all have a purpose and it depends on how you throw and the shot you are shooting on most to determine if it's your main.

Cranker

I have the Pitch Black and the surprising thing for me is how early it starts to read. It gives me a nice smooth arcing motion to the pocket and I've thrown some big games with it but I'm not a big rev guy so a resin ball usually works better for me.

Quote Originally Posted by JasonNJ View Post
    I have the Pitch Black and the surprising thing for me is how early it starts to read. It gives me a nice smooth arcing motion to the pocket and I've thrown some big games with it but I'm not a big rev guy so a resin ball usually works better for me.
    I'm hearing a lot about the Pitch Black, but since I have 7 balls, I'm probably not getting any more. I would love to try it though

SandBagger

At another center, I would use a 900 Global Boo Yah as my go-to ball. I'm at a different center now and it doesn't work nearly as well for the the current lane conditions, so it is now for an occasional game.
    Averages: Right (THS):215 | Left (THS):175 | Sport:166 |High Game:300 | High Series:815
    Arsenal: Storm Tropical Storm, 900 Black Ops, Motiv Tank

Chats: 2

All I use in my home center is urethane for the most part. Picked up a Hot Cell to start off the year and a pitch black a few weeks ago to help get through the heads toward the last game. Most resin balls in my home center are just too much. Could get away with migrating left, but there is only so much left you can move. If I do switch, its to my Timeless and that's about it.
    • Current Arsenal: Storm Timeless, Storm Phaze II, Storm Pitch Black, Storm Drive, Rotogrip Hot Cell, Rotogrip Show Off, DV8 Turmoil Pearl
    • High Game: 300 (3 11 in a row) / High Series: 799
    • Current Average: 202 / PAP: 5" over, 1/8" up
    • Rev Rate: 425rpm / 2-Hands

My alley is old, it still has most of it's original equipment and wood lanes that date back to the 80's. They still have old SD tvs.

The point is the alley still is very playable with older equipment. I've been rocking an old columbia yellow dot and have an easy time getting it to hook. Out of my last 30 odd games, I have a 172 average with that ball and only that ball. It's a nice slow arching hook, very elegant and nice to watch. Easy to pick up spares with too.

On Wednesday I'll be adding the Brunswick True Motion urethane to my arsenal.

While I won't rule out it could be the first ball out of my bag, its main purpose is to bridge the gap between my strong equipment and my BTU.

It'll also be good for long and flat patterns.

Sometimes I can use my Blue Hammer urethane ball as my first ball depending on how the lanes are. You can make a urethane work by changing the surface. If you put a 500 surface on it it should work pretty good as far a hooking. It will depend on what kind of revs you have also. If you want to use it for spares instead of a plastic ball put a 4000 surface on it for less hook. So surface changes can make it do what you want depending on your house alleys.
    Arsenal: Raw Hammer Orange/Black Hybrid 14lbs, Blue Hammer urethane 14lbs, Columbia 300 Lava Ball Plastic 14lbs, Highest scratch series 710 Bowling 38 years Never hit that 300 game. Highest game 276, had 11 strikes and one spare in the middle of that game.

Chats: 2

Quote Originally Posted by Hammer View Post
    Sometimes I can use my Blue Hammer urethane ball as my first ball depending on how the lanes are. You can make a urethane work by changing the surface. If you put a 500 surface on it it should work pretty good as far a hooking. It will depend on what kind of revs you have also. If you want to use it for spares instead of a plastic ball put a 4000 surface on it for less hook. So surface changes can make it do what you want depending on your house alleys.
    I'm pretty fond of both of mine being at 1000 grit, but yes, surface will make urethane move. Urethane is designed to move on friction though, so the lines you play aren't necessarily one's you would normally play. I have 2 urethane balls, a hot cell and a pitch black, almost drilled identical except one is asym and one is sym. I usually will start the night with my Hot Cell and game 2 make the switch to my Pitch Black and play the same line all night. However, I am usually 2-4 boards right of anyone else on the pair.
    • Current Arsenal: Storm Timeless, Storm Phaze II, Storm Pitch Black, Storm Drive, Rotogrip Hot Cell, Rotogrip Show Off, DV8 Turmoil Pearl
    • High Game: 300 (3 11 in a row) / High Series: 799
    • Current Average: 202 / PAP: 5" over, 1/8" up
    • Rev Rate: 425rpm / 2-Hands