Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How to repair this crack?

Chats: 0

Default How to repair this crack?

Now that I know how to get pictures on here I can ask this. In order to fix this crack can I assume that this is going to be a full plug and redrill of the fingers? It obviously needs new inserts no matter what. I'm not sure what the cause was of this was. It happened the second game in at a house I never bowled at before and the bowling alley refused to fix it. They said improper drilling. I've never had this happen with upwards of 45 balls and the same guy drilled them all. Then again, this was my first reactive resin ball. I'm just curious on the repair method, this is the best fitting ball I have ever had and I don't want it altered a millimeter. Then I'm going to have it resurfaced.

Last edited by Phonetek; 01-14-2018 at 04:39 PM.

Super Moderator
    Blog Entries
    Chats: 554

Quote Originally Posted by Phonetek View Post
    Now that I know how to get pictures on here I can ask this. In order to fix this crack can I assume that this is going to be a full plug and redrill of the fingers?
    That's a bridge crack it's common. Yes the best fix is plugging the crack, But a DIY is possible I've done it before.

But you should ask the PSO first.

It obviously needs new inserts no matter what.
    I got to say I never seen a bridge crack travel into vinyl inserts like that. They must be pretty old to be that hard so yes they need replacing.

I'm not sure what the cause was of this was. It happened the second game in at a house I never bowled at before and the bowling alley refused to fix it. They said improper drilling.
    Nope house not responsible for that Bridge cracks usually happen because the bridge was too narrow, the bridge should be 1/4" wide at least. But if it's a old ball, it happens.

I've never had this happen with upwards of 45 balls and the same guy drilled them all. Then again, this was my first reactive resin ball.
    You were lucky, that was the only ball it happened to.

I'm just curious on the repair method, this is the best fitting ball I have ever had and I don't want it altered a millimeter. Then I'm going to have it resurfaced.
    As said plugging is the best, But you can DIY it. You fill the crack with super glue (its best if you have some superglue accelerator to speed the hardening)

Just a FYI: They do make a kit for patching small gashes etc. called Master Kwick Patch (basically it's just superglue and a accelerator)
    Last edited by bowl1820; 01-14-2018 at 06:32 PM.

Right handed Stroker, high track ,about 13 degree axis tilt. PAP is located 5 9/16” over 1 3/4” up.Speed ave. about 14 mph at the pins. Medium rev’s.High Game 300, High series 798

"Talent without training is nothing." Luke Skywalker

I've done the DIY on gouges using super glue. Pro shop guy taught me that one. Since I do plan on putting quite a few more games on it as it's a pretty good ball I should probably have the pro shop do it right. If he plugs it as you say he can drill it farther apart so hopefully it won't re-occur. I can't think that would change the grip as long as the span stays the same.

Yes, the crack and inserts are very old, it happened in about 2009 and the ball was about 10yrs old by then. Since then, sadly it's sat in extreme cold and heat for several years until now. I regret saying that bowling and equipment was a the bottom of my list of priorities. Everything I had sat neglected and having no choice, got left behind. I lost so much it's not funny. This and a blue hammer, my ratty tore up bag and my Linds are all I left. On the upside, I recently bowled with it and it works just fine even with the crack although just practice. I'll get it fixed before any official play or have new stuff by then. Too late to join any leagues now but once I'm good to go I may see about doing some pacing/subbing just to get some actual non-practice games in before next fall.

Somehow I missed the Kwik Patch in the post. That's pretty cool, they seem to have something for everything now a days. If I get a ball spinner which is on my wish list, I'd probably grab some of that too. It would only make sense to use while resurfacing a ball. I've very O.C.D about my stuff. Especially now.
    Last edited by Phonetek; 01-14-2018 at 06:54 PM.

Super Moderator
    Blog Entries

Somehow I missed the Kwik Patch in the post. That's pretty cool, they seem to have something for everything now a days.
    yeah they have a lot new stuff these days, But Kwik Patch has been around years.

Right handed Stroker, high track ,about 13 degree axis tilt. PAP is located 5 9/16” over 1 3/4” up.Speed ave. about 14 mph at the pins. Medium rev’s.High Game 300, High series 798

Quote Originally Posted by bowl1820 View Post
    yeah they have a lot new stuff these days, But Kwik Patch has been around years.
    LOL Fair enough, I guess it wasn't one of those things on the display rack at my pro shop. If it was I didn't pay any attention to it. Good to know it's out there though

Super Moderator
    Blog Entries

LOL Fair enough, I guess it wasn't one of those things on the display rack at my pro shop. If it was I didn't pay any attention to it. Good to know it's out there though
    Yeah that was one of those things you had ask for and get them to order it for you. Though over the years I've seen it once or twice in a proshop and at the distributor.

Chats: 55

I had a bridge crack on my Meanstreak Brawler last year. PSO just plugged the crack and replaced my finger grips. No redrilling or change necessary. Unfortunately, the ball got cracked all the way around it about 6 months ago...not from the bridge, just right around the middle. Too much heat and change of weather apparently.
    Proud member of bowlingboards.com bowling forums & winner of bowling ball give-away!
    High Series - 704; High Game - 290 (a long time ago) Current Average - 150

All fixed up. He pulled out the inserts, drilled out the crack and plugged it. All redrilled fresh with new inserts and it actually fits my hand PROPERLY. He even put it in his detox machine for 4 hours and did some wet sanding on it. New inserts are so soft, I can really feel them on my release, they are almost a little tacky feeling. It turns out, after he pulled out the inserts between the two holes there was nothing there for the bottom 2".

Apparently when it was drilled he drilled the holes toward one another with the bit and went through the bridge wall. No wonder it cracked, there was nothing really to support the bridge. I'm shocked I got so many games out of it before it cracked. It looks like it should have cracked the first time it hit the lanes.

He also threw new inserts in the blue hammer for me. He refused to take my money for any of it, kinda got me upset. If he don't want to charge for his time that's one thing but he didn't get inserts for free so at least charge me for them, not pay out of pocket for my balls. Next time I go in there I'm gonna shove a $20 in one of the holes of his measuring ball when he's not looking.

Chats: 32

Hopefully it lasts for a while. I've seen some crack on the bridge and still last a while and I've seen them crack the rest of the way around the ball.
    I am a proud member of Bowlingboards.com bowling forums and ball contest winner

Current arsenal

900 Global Badger Claw - Radical Ridiculous Pearl - Spare Ball Ebonite T Zone

It just needs to last long enough for me to get my new stuff which should be right around the corner now that I'm working.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast