Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Do you still buy "cheap" bowling shoes?

Default Do you still buy "cheap" bowling shoes?

In the last 2.5 months, I have learned more about bowling than I have in the last 40+ years. The one thing I never thought about was buying shoes. I've had a pair of Dexters (I don't even know the model) for at least 10 years and I am sure that I only paid about $35 for them back then. Well, after sticking my toe on the approach several times, I finally broke down and bought a pair of Dexter Pro Am II's, which I hope to try out tomorrow.

However, going forward, would I be better served to get shoes with changeable soles? I am not looking to do more than bowl the occasional league but, I am wondering if the cost savings would be more, over time, if I went with a better shoe.

Super Moderator
    Blog Entries
    Chats: 554

As important as a ball is, shoes are what get you to the line. If your not getting to the line good, it won't matter what ball your rolling.

Interchangeable sole shoes offer the most adjustment options and are the Cadillac of shoes. Do you need them?

That depends, if your bowling in multiple houses then yes they can make the difference. If your just bowling in one house then you don't necessarily need them but they can be useful at times. Especially if you have problem approaches at your center, like do to humidity issues

You should have shoes though that have a slide sole and a grip sole. They make them and they are not that much different in price than universal sole shoes.

Universal sole shoes are okay if your just a occasional bowler or beginner, but if your wanting to be more than that then you invest in shoes.

Right handed Stroker, high track ,about 13 degree axis tilt. PAP is located 5 9/16” over 1 3/4” up.Speed ave. about 14 mph at the pins. Medium rev’s.High Game 300, High series 798

"Talent without training is nothing." Luke Skywalker

JP, The Pro Am II shoes have a slide shoe and a gripping shoe for right handers. One of our senior bowlers bought a pair and they're darn good shoes. They're just not the Cadillac version with all the fixins... I think you'll be just fine with those and they'll last you a good long time.
    Last edited by djp1080; 01-14-2018 at 09:40 PM.

High Roller
    Chats: 0

Good question. Just started back up last week after a 15 year break and used house shoes...horrible. I used to have a pair of Hydes. Looking to buy another pair but mentioned left handed shoes and was told that didn't matter anymore.

Super Moderator
    Blog Entries
    Chats: 554

Quote Originally Posted by boatman37 View Post
    Looking to buy another pair but mentioned left handed shoes and was told that didn't matter anymore.
    They don't matter! OMG. That better not have been the pso saying that!

For cheap universal shoes it might not, but for every else it does matter.

Right handed Stroker, high track ,about 13 degree axis tilt. PAP is located 5 9/16” over 1 3/4” up.Speed ave. about 14 mph at the pins. Medium rev’s.High Game 300, High series 798

"Talent without training is nothing." Luke Skywalker

Bowling Guru
    Chats: 13

Quote Originally Posted by jaypeesmith View Post
    In the last 2.5 months, I have learned more about bowling than I have in the last 40+ years. The one thing I never thought about was buying shoes. I've had a pair of Dexters (I don't even know the model) for at least 10 years and I am sure that I only paid about $35 for them back then. Well, after sticking my toe on the approach several times, I finally broke down and bought a pair of Dexter Pro Am II's, which I hope to try out tomorrow.

However, going forward, would I be better served to get shoes with changeable soles? I am not looking to do more than bowl the occasional league but, I am wondering if the cost savings would be more, over time, if I went with a better shoe.
    Since you are planning on “the occasional league”, the ProAm IIs should be fine. The exception would be if the bowling center is very erratic in its maintenance of the approaches, where they go from normal to getting slowly stickier, and then suddenly, all the approaches are slick. Then you might need changable soles even though you always bowl at the same center. My own experience is that certain chains are more likely to have sticky spots or slippery spots randomly scattered on different approaches. A lane that is perfectly fine for a shot up the track may find you sliding past the foul line going for the ten pin.
    John

Quote Originally Posted by J Anderson View Post
    Since you are planning on “the occasional league”, the ProAm IIs should be fine. The exception would be if the bowling center is very erratic in its maintenance of the approaches, where they go from normal to getting slowly stickier, and then suddenly, all the approaches are slick. Then you might need changable soles even though you always bowl at the same center. My own experience is that certain chains are more likely to have sticky spots or slippery spots randomly scattered on different approaches. A lane that is perfectly fine for a shot up the track may find you sliding past the foul line going for the ten pin.
    Gotta love the approaches where some idiot used Baby powder on their shoes or worse they made a pile on the floor. The other is when they track in water or spilled something in the bowling area that you didn't realize you stepped in. Yes, Baby powder is illegal and shouldn't even be allowed in the bowling alley people still do it. The liquid scenario is more frequent. I don't know how many times I had to take my shoes off and visit the mens room to hold my shoes under the hand dryer. Otherwise one way you fall on your butt the other way on your face. Neither is fun.

Chats: 10

When i first started, I bought a cheap pair of Dexters, plain black tennis shoe looking. Didn't care for them that much. Went and bout the SST10 I believe and worked well till the sole was splitting. Went with 3G Tour Ultra and love them. I never use different soles between the 3 houses I bowl as, but very comfortable and the toe guard was much needed. Going on year 2 with them and no complaints. Well worth the money.
    In my bag: Roto Grip UFO, Roto Grip Hyper Cell Fused and Roto Grip Hustle hyb

League High Series: 745 (12/23/19) High Game: 300 (11/23/15)

Proud member of BowlingBoards.com

SandBagger

I got my shoes about 14 years ago. They were $80 Dexters. Non-replaceable soles. While I have had some issues with them on synthetic lanes, I almost never bowl on anything but wood approaches these days and I have absolutely no sticking problems on them. For me, then, a simple pair of shoes is all I need. I might consider getting a slightly better pair if I were to bowl in different centers that have the synthetic approaches.
    Averages: Right (THS):215 | Left (THS):175 | Sport:166 |High Game:300 | High Series:815
    Arsenal: Storm Tropical Storm, 900 Black Ops, Motiv Tank

Quote Originally Posted by djp1080 View Post
    JP, The Pro Am II shoes have a slide shoe and a gripping shoe for right handers. One of our senior bowlers bought a pair and they're darn good shoes. They're just not the Cadillac version with all the fixins... I think you'll be just fine with those and they'll last you a good long time.
    Thanks for the insight. I'm hoping they work out for me.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast