Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Do you still buy "cheap" bowling shoes?

High Roller
    Chats: 0

Wasn't the current PSO but was the previous one that I had purchased all of my old equipment from 25-30 years ago. But I didn't quite believe him so thanks for confirming that for me!

Bowling Guru
    Chats: 13

Quote Originally Posted by bowl1820 View Post
    They don't matter! OMG. That better not have been the pso saying that!

For cheap universal shoes it might not, but for every else it does matter.
    Unless the pso was trying to talk him into really high end shoes where both the slide and traction soles can be changed.
    John

One big plus for replaceable soles/heels is the fact that you can pull out a fresh identical sole/heel when you accidentally step in liquid or powder. You can deal with the problem after competition is over instead of messing up your game.

Super Moderator
    Blog Entries
    Chats: 554

Quote Originally Posted by J Anderson View Post
    Unless the pso was trying to talk him into really high end shoes where both the slide and traction soles can be changed.
    Possibly

But not all of them will swap from right to left or left to right, Like my TPU-X's they have changeable slide and traction soles but they don't swap. So you still have to check to make sure, just in case you have to specify left or right handed shoes.

Right handed Stroker, high track ,about 13 degree axis tilt. PAP is located 5 9/16” over 1 3/4” up.Speed ave. about 14 mph at the pins. Medium rev’s.High Game 300, High series 798

"Talent without training is nothing." Luke Skywalker

Quote Originally Posted by bowl1820 View Post
    As important as a ball is, shoes are what get you to the line. If your not getting to the line good, it won't matter what ball your rolling.

Interchangeable sole shoes offer the most adjustment options and are the Cadillac of shoes. Do you need them?

That depends, if your bowling in multiple houses then yes they can make the difference. If your just bowling in one house then you don't necessarily need them but they can be useful at times. Especially if you have problem approaches at your center, like do to humidity issues

You should have shoes though that have a slide sole and a grip sole. They make them and they are not that much different in price than universal sole shoes.

Universal sole shoes are okay if your just a occasional bowler or beginner, but if your wanting to be more than that then you invest in shoes.
    Unless you don't slide. I take 4 baby steps and gently plant my left foot. With me, it's all about upper body and timing. Right or wrong, at this point in my life I have no aspirations of going pro. But there are a few pros out there that basically have no slide, so it's not totally unheard of.

Btw, I have an average pair of Dexters that look ok. I think they were around $50.
    Last edited by Eddy; 01-17-2018 at 03:50 PM.

Super Moderator
    Blog Entries
    Chats: 554

Quote Originally Posted by Eddy View Post
    Unless you don't slide. I take 4 baby steps and gently plant my left foot. With me, it's all about upper body and timing. Right or wrong, at this point in my life I have no aspirations of going pro. But there are a few pros out there that basically have no slide, so it's not totally unheard of.

Btw, I have an average pair of Dexters that look ok. I think they were around $50.
    Though with adjustable traction soles now available, a plant and shooter would have options for tailoring their footing.

but Yes, If your a true plant and shoot bowler then interchangeable soles are not necessarily needed.

In that case I would recommend a good quality pair of non-marking street shoes dedicated just for bowling. With street shoes you'd have a wider range of selection To get ones that would offer maximum support and comfort.

Right handed Stroker, high track ,about 13 degree axis tilt. PAP is located 5 9/16” over 1 3/4” up.Speed ave. about 14 mph at the pins. Medium rev’s.High Game 300, High series 798

"Talent without training is nothing." Luke Skywalker

Chats: 0

Quote Originally Posted by Eddy View Post
    I'm not a plant my left foot guy per say but I try to keep a minimal slide. The Linds I use have a perforated sole that help reduce the slide that's why I bought them. I'm tall so I have long legs, if I slide too much I'd fall, end up with a higher voice or rip my pants. My 4 steps start small and each progressively bigger with the slide step of course the largest. This gives me the best timing which by me using that method it would be extremely rare for me to get out of sync. That's just me though, I've never seen the gap between each step specifically being taught, just something I consciously worked on until it became second nature. I adjust the length of my steps depending on how hard I need to throw, they still stay progressive though. My ball speed comes from my foot speed not my arm. I'm not saying it's right or wrong but it works well specifically for me but the shoes are an integral part of it being successful. I swear by my Linds and I personally would get myself a cheaper wedding ring before cheaper bowling shoes. Again, I will stress that's just for me but may not make sense for you.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12