Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Most ridiculous PSO I have ever seen

Cranker
    Chats: 0

$50-60 is about average cost for drilling with inserts, $90 is just outrageous.

Chats: 256

That is a PSO that is not going to be in business for very long. Those prices are absolutely ridiculous and out of line. He is what gives bowling a bad name.

$35 for a set of inserts? They can be bought on line for $1.50 each. I certainly wouldn't give him a cent of my business.

If you have a PSO you like within driving distance, stick with him. If nothing else, start with the guy you like and when your fit on the ball is good, use Bowlingball.com's drilling services for any future purchases. They can fit from a drill sheet your PSO can provide, or you can send in the ball that fits well and they can copy the specs from it. Your specs would then be on file with them for any future purchases.
    High Sanctioned Scratch Game - 300(12) Hi Sanctioned Scratch Series - 822(3)
    2016/17 Book Average=221, 2017/18 Composite Average=223
    Equipment in the bag - Storm Crux Prime, Storm Physix, Roto Grip Idol, Roto Grip Idol Pearl, Roto Grip Hyper Cell Fused, Storm Sure Lock, Storm Drive, Roto Grip Winner Solid, Roto Grip Haywire, Storm Fever Pitch, Roto Grip Red ball spare.

Rev Rate 400. Speed 18 at heads, 16.5-17 at pins. Axis tilt 10, Axis Rotation 55. PAP 5 5/8 x 5/8 up

Super Moderator
    Blog Entries
    Chats: 554

What it looks like he's doing is tacking on a labor change (of $90-$100) over what would be the regular cost anywhere else.

Like this $95 labor + $35 for two new inserts.

I could see $35 for a plugging the fingers, drill and 2 new inserts to fix the the bridge.

For those prices if there was no one closer, I buy a KMT personal ball jig (its about $400) and drill them myself.

Right handed Stroker, high track ,about 13 degree axis tilt. PAP is located 5 9/16” over 1 3/4” up.Speed ave. about 14 mph at the pins. Medium rev’s.High Game 300, High series 798

"Talent without training is nothing." Luke Skywalker

That is crazy. There is a shop that I recently started going to and they charge about $80, but this includes grips and a thumb slug. If you buy the ball from them, drilling, grips and slugs are included. For comparison's sake, I think the most they would charge for the balls you listed is $235 plus tax.

With the prices you've quoted, it's almost as if he doesn't want the business.

The guy reminded me of a dentist I visited once to have a tooth yanked. It literally took 10 minutes $350. I was in awe and I complained, $350 for ten minutes? She could do 6 in an hour that's 2100 bucks an hour LOL I told her that was crazy, she said "If this is what you spend per year then it's only $30 a month, how is that expensive?" I gave her a few more colorful slurred comments and left never to return. The moral is, just because you CAN charge what you want doesn't mean you always should.
    Even charging more because it was bought somewhere else may pay some business expenses, charging less you have a better chance of repeat business which pays MORE business expenses. Bottom line is, the guy is local to me. I need my ball fixed and resurfaced plus another ball needs to have the thumb plugged and redrilled. Then my son is getting his ball and in a month I'm probably getting 2 maybe 3 new balls. That's just for starters, my wife wants a ball and maybe my daughter too. That's the business he WOULD have gotten had he not been a moron and was reasonable. His way I'd be in for hundreds just in labor. No way I can afford that. If it weren't for the prices online I wouldn't be buying anything, at most maybe 1 ball for my son and none for me, wife or daughter if it were only from a PSO. So in essence he is getting more business because I didn't buy it from him.
    IMO Kids balls should be free or done free or cheap regardless where it came from. Youth bowling is hurting as it is, charging full price adds insult to injury. Again, repeat business....if a kid is happy with his ball he will go to that guy for years. Besides what does PSO tell a kid if he got a ball for Christmas? "Santa didn't buy it here so empty your pockets so you can use it" That's pretty cold

An update. I went out to visit my mom this morning. I was chatting about bowling with her and she told me one of the PSO's I used to go to years ago is still around and she still talks to him. She just had a ball redrilled by him recently because she had a bowling outing for work. Didn't know mom was even bowling anymore. So, I figured on the way back I'd stop in. Well this was night and day from my other experience. First of all, he will drill my son's ball for free regardless of where I get it from, $5 for inserts. $20 to fix my cracked reactive with ball and replace the finger inserts. He does charge adults for drilling balls not bought from him $40 only if they have never been drilled before. Plug and redrill is the same price bought from him or not. For me new balls are "Don't ask don't tell where I bought it" and he'll do them $20 each inserts and thumb plug included. He gave me permission to tell about it but not mention his name since he doesn't do this for everyone.
    Anyway, I looked at those same balls quoted in my original post and they were still of course higher than online but nowhere near the same markup. I didn't write down the prices though sorry. Suffice it to say I didn't start to hyperventilate when I seen the prices. On top of that, since I am teaching my son he wants me to bring him in tomorrow for a fitting. He's gonna hook him up with a demo ball like you guys were talking about with the changeable inserts that is his to use anytime until I can get the money to get his permanent ball. They are gonna keep it behind the counter for him. I don't know which particular ball model other than it's urethane and made by Hammer.
    He walked me out to the owner of the lanes, we talked for a bit. When I bring my son in for a fitting tomorrow the owner wants to meet my son. He said he's giving him 3 free hours a week to bowl shoes included every week until fall leagues start. It's quite a drive to get there from our current house but we will be there every week no matter what. He also wants me to sub for two different teams one on Friday men's and one Wed mixed both fees already prepaid for the rest of the season starting next week. Okay so THIS is what I'm talking about. These are obviously two guys who care about not only the sport of bowling but the youth and taking care of customers. Although I was looking for something more local, I'd be an idiot to not utilize their graciousness despite the long drive. The PSO knows how I am and knows he will be getting a lot of business from me in the future. I guess I won't be going to Jim's after all and especially not that moron I mentioned in the original post. I told him about the other guy I went to the other day and he said he's heard a lot about that guys behavior and prices. That guy hasn't been a PSO for long and won't be for much longer. The bowling alley isn't going to renew his lease because of the problems he has caused. He constantly offends people and rips them off. Good riddance to someone who gives bowling a bad name like that. At least this proves there are still some excellent PSO's out there

Chats: 256

Good to hear. When you find a good one stick with him.
    High Sanctioned Scratch Game - 300(12) Hi Sanctioned Scratch Series - 822(3)
    2016/17 Book Average=221, 2017/18 Composite Average=223
    Equipment in the bag - Storm Crux Prime, Storm Physix, Roto Grip Idol, Roto Grip Idol Pearl, Roto Grip Hyper Cell Fused, Storm Sure Lock, Storm Drive, Roto Grip Winner Solid, Roto Grip Haywire, Storm Fever Pitch, Roto Grip Red ball spare.

Rev Rate 400. Speed 18 at heads, 16.5-17 at pins. Axis tilt 10, Axis Rotation 55. PAP 5 5/8 x 5/8 up

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12