Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Increasing ball speed for a 2-hander

Chats: 0

Default Increasing ball speed for a 2-hander

I am new to bowling 2-handed. I am into my 2nd season. Even though my ball speed has improved from when I bowled with my thumb in the ball, I am finding that with the large increase in rev rate, and the less volume of oil I typically bowl on, I am in a need for some more speed.

Any tips, drills, suggestions on how I can achieve this? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Bowling Guru
    Chats: 13

Quote Originally Posted by Smiley1994 View Post
    I am new to bowling 2-handed. I am into my 2nd season. Even though my ball speed has improved from when I bowled with my thumb in the ball, I am finding that with the large increase in rev rate, and the less volume of oil I typically bowl on, I am in a need for some more speed.

Any tips, drills, suggestions on how I can achieve this? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
    Traditionally bowlers regulated ball speed with changing the height of their push-away, generating a higher back swing and there for yielding a higher speed. Obviously the two hand approach limits the height of the back swing. You will have to increase ball speed by moving back on the approach and accelerating your steps. Or in the words of Dr. Who, "RUN!!!"
    John

Chats: 2

Thanks!
    There really is nothing to do with drill to increase ball speed. Being a 2-hander myself, most of it is in footwork and timing. I actually find that the faster my feet are, the slower the ball rolls. Try to develop a smooth approach, minimize any air time (trust me, no matter how hard you try to get rid of it, there is air between 3-4 step if you take a 5 step), and stay behind the ball. I have worked a ton in the last few years with my off hand placement. Further on top of the ball means more forward roll, which gets the ball to read a bit sooner, hand toward the side, ball picks up later down lane.

Biggest advice though, watch some videos, work on your timing, balance, and release. This will all help in picking that ball speed up.
    • Current Arsenal: Storm Timeless, Storm Phaze II, Storm Pitch Black, Storm Drive, Rotogrip Hot Cell, Rotogrip Show Off, DV8 Turmoil Pearl
    • High Game: 300 (3 11 in a row) / High Series: 799
    • Current Average: 202 / PAP: 5" over, 1/8" up
    • Rev Rate: 425rpm / 2-Hands

This is a multiple post from the other side. Check the other side as I responded there
    • Current Arsenal: Storm Timeless, Storm Phaze II, Storm Pitch Black, Storm Drive, Rotogrip Hot Cell, Rotogrip Show Off, DV8 Turmoil Pearl

I did, thank you for your response. I wasn't sure where to post so I posted this on 2 threads. Some read just one, I am sure others read multiple sections.

A lot depends on your age. I will tell you that I've never seen a bowler who changed to two-handed after the age of 35 who was able to develop the required ball speed. Besides the feet, it is very important for a two-hander to get into a position where the spine is parallel to the floor. This is something that, physically, only the young are able to do.

I am 46 years old. And other than the pain I had on my left side for about a month when I started last year, I am ok with how I feel now. I changed due to poor ball speed and a horrible looking delivery with my thumb in the ball....

Super Moderator
    Blog Entries
    Chats: 554

I did, thank you for your response. I wasn't sure where to post so I posted this on 2 threads. Some read just one, I am sure others read multiple sections.
    If you post the same or very similar question in multiple forums, it doesn’t increase your chances of getting help. Most of the forum community that regularly respond to help requests use the “What’s New?” link near the top of the forums.

We see your post no matter what forum you put it in. So please don't cross post on multiple forums.
    Last edited by bowl1820; 01-17-2018 at 10:56 AM.

Right handed Stroker, high track ,about 13 degree axis tilt. PAP is located 5 9/16” over 1 3/4” up.Speed ave. about 14 mph at the pins. Medium rev’s.High Game 300, High series 798

"Talent without training is nothing." Luke Skywalker

My sincere apologies.

Quote Originally Posted by RobLV1 View Post
    A lot depends on your age. I will tell you that I've never seen a bowler who changed to two-handed after the age of 35 who was able to develop the required ball speed. Besides the feet, it is very important for a two-hander to get into a position where the spine is parallel to the floor. This is something that, physically, only the young are able to do.
    Spine parallel to the floor? I've been bowling this way for as long as I can remember (I'll be 30 next month). If I tried to get parallel to the floor with my back, I'd fly over the foul line and have zero balance. It's still a lot of knee bend.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast