Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: week 1 good. week 2 very sore

High Roller
    Chats: 0

Default week 1 good. week 2 very sore

So after a 15 year break decided to jump back in 2 weeks ago. The first week back used house shoes and a teammates 15lb ball. Bowled decent, no issues. Last week used house shoes again and a 16lb ball I got from another bowler. Had trouble with my shoes sticking all night and many times had to do the one foot hop at the line to keep from falling. The one time I tweaked my knee and it was sore the rest of the night (not really pain, just noticeable). Also had trouble with the ball the 2nd game after it dried up and was fighting it and somehow 'yanked' my elbow. Same elbow that I injured 15 years ago that forced me to quit.

So ordered a new pair of shoes that should be here today so hopefully that solves that. Not really sure what I am looking for here but after week 2 my knee hurts, elbow hurts, shoulder sore. Ugh. I was fine after week 1. Would the shoes cause all of that?

Chats: 2

Quote Originally Posted by boatman37 View Post
    So after a 15 year break decided to jump back in 2 weeks ago. The first week back used house shoes and a teammates 15lb ball. Bowled decent, no issues. Last week used house shoes again and a 16lb ball I got from another bowler. Had trouble with my shoes sticking all night and many times had to do the one foot hop at the line to keep from falling. The one time I tweaked my knee and it was sore the rest of the night (not really pain, just noticeable). Also had trouble with the ball the 2nd game after it dried up and was fighting it and somehow 'yanked' my elbow. Same elbow that I injured 15 years ago that forced me to quit.

So ordered a new pair of shoes that should be here today so hopefully that solves that. Not really sure what I am looking for here but after week 2 my knee hurts, elbow hurts, shoulder sore. Ugh. I was fine after week 1. Would the shoes cause all of that?
    If you can't get into any timing with sticking or anything in your approach, then yes, shoes can cause that. I know that when I go to other houses and I can't find the right sole/heel combo to use and I go with "close enough", I indeed hurt the following day, usually in my knee and hip areas. I've had people that use house shoes and house balls ask me how to raise their average before, and the first thing I tell them is to get a pair of shoes. Doesn't have to be top of the line, but get your own. It leads to consistency, and consistency leads to higher scores.
    • Current Arsenal: Storm Timeless, Storm Phaze II, Storm Pitch Black, Storm Drive, Rotogrip Hot Cell, Rotogrip Show Off, DV8 Turmoil Pearl
    • High Game: 300 (3 11 in a row) / High Series: 799
    • Current Average: 202 / PAP: 5" over, 1/8" up
    • Rev Rate: 425rpm / 2-Hands

Bowling Guru
    Chats: 13

Quote Originally Posted by boatman37 View Post

First of all, bowling is an athletic endeavor, even if most of us don’t look very athletic. Muscles that are warmed up and loose are less likely to get hurt.

Shoes that fit right and slide right should keep your knee from getting tweaked again.

Elbow and shoulder pain were probably not caused by the house shoes. It may be that 16 pounds is too heavy. It might be that the fit that seems “close enough”, isn’t, but although I think that would show up as finger or wrist pain. The last possibility is that in trying to deal with the changing lane conditions you did something wrong with your swing.

As someone else posted here recently, “bowling should not hurt.”
    John

Chats: 32

Some stiffness could be expected but not pain. The shoes may help with the knee pain I agree as the others posted here probably had to do with the 16 lbs ball weight and not being fitted for you. If you intend to do this regularly buy an inexpensive ball that is drilled to fit you.
    I am a proud member of Bowlingboards.com bowling forums and ball contest winner

Current arsenal

900 Global Badger Claw - Radical Ridiculous Pearl - Spare Ball Ebonite T Zone

High Roller

Thanks. The knee is 'soreness', I definitely strained or kinked it or something. The elbow was probably from me trying to get the ball too far outside. My wrist and forearm are a little sore but I am chalking that up to using muscles I haven't used in awhile. Shoulder is just being itself. It's always sore after anything physical.

Shoes should be here today. I'm a lefty so had to order them. The shoes I used the first week weren't too bad. The ones last week were sticking bad. I kept going to the powder box to try to get some slide and even thought about switching shoes at the counter but was too lazy...lol. Hopefully the new shoes help.

High Roller

Yeah, this ball was mainly to get something I could use until I get one. Definitely plan to get my own drilled for me. I do understand the importance of that. I had 3 or 4 guys offer me their old bowling balls but I declined all but the one because it was a lefty and fit 'good enough' to use for now. The ball has a small crack near the thumbhole anyway so isn't a permanent solution. Problem is I needed ball (probably 2), shoes, and bag so trying to pick the stuff up a little at a time. Shoes are out of the way. Hoping to get a bag this weekend so next is the ball.

After 15 years off, you're going to feel some aches and pains. I just came back after 20 years off, and let me tell you, I hurt just about every part of my body that can be hurt from bowling. My shoulder, knee, hamstring, finger joints, back, and so on. Take about 7 Ibuprofen a day for a bit, and I can almost guarantee you will feel much better when you're less inflamed. Those pills are the reason I am still bowling 6 months later after coming back from such a long layoff.

I was a gym rat when I started back up and was in fantastic shape, but it did not prepare me for bowling specific movements.

Give it some time and don't over do anything, and you should eventually get to where you want. Unless you injure your elbow again. But I wish you the best, and all the luck in the world.

High Roller

Thanks and yeah, definitely sore. Still sore even after a week. Bowl again tomorrow night but have new shoes now so that should help the knees at least

Bowling is a lot more strenuous on the body than one would think. Your throwing a 15-16 lb ball using 3 fingers bending, twisting and stretching multiple parts of your body around 60-70 times in a 3 game series. Throw in a few decades of age beyond teen years and BAM there you go, a recipe for pain. Some of your pain is coming from doing things wrong, some resulting from inadequate equipment. I hate to say it, you'll still get pain when you do everything right even with proper fitting equipment. Good news is, the more you do it the less it will be once your body gets used to it. No pain no gain I guess. Once you get all your equipment taken care of, doing some stretching exercises prior to bowling would help. Until then, Advil is your friend, just not too much or it will trash your stomach.

Bowling Guru
    Chats: 13

Quote Originally Posted by Phonetek View Post
    Bowling is a lot more strenuous on the body than one would think. Your throwing a 15-16 lb ball using 3 fingers bending, twisting and stretching multiple parts of your body around 60-70 times in a 3 game series. Throw in a few decades of age beyond teen years and BAM there you go, a recipe for pain. Some of your pain is coming from doing things wrong, some resulting from inadequate equipment. I hate to say it, you'll still get pain when you do everything right even with proper fitting equipment. Good news is, the more you do it the less it will be once your body gets used to it. No pain no gain I guess. Once you get all your equipment taken care of, doing some stretching exercises prior to bowling would help. Until then, Advil is your friend, just not too much or it will trash your stomach.
    I think we need to distinguish between real pain and just being sore. Sharp pain is your body's way of saying, "Hey Stupid, cut that out!" Chronic pain is it saying "something's wrong, take me to the doctor." Most of the time if you do something physical that you are not used to, you will be sore for a day or two afterwards. If you're still sore more than a week later something might be wrong.

With equipment that fits properly and using good technique, bowling should not hurt. Will you feel a bit sore after bowling 5 or 6 games? Probably. Should you be in pain? Absolutely not.
    John

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast