Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: My son's training

Chats: 0

I haven't updated this in a while. My son is progressing quite well. He's been bowling his butt of since I work at the bowling alley. 25 games one day 20 another. I'll give him one thing, he's got stamina that I don't have. His new equipment is on a UPS truck as I type this and will either be here today or tomorrow. Although he's been using a house ball and shoes I have to say he's come a very long way very quickly. When we started you seen his scores were well under 100. Just a few weeks later he's getting anywhere from 100-140 every game now. Last week he threw his first strike, Sunday he got his first turkey then 4 in a row in another game. He's doing great on cross lane spares which I didn't expect. His crowning achievement was picking up a 4-7-10 which I about fell over when he did it. At this point I have to say that was luck but still quite cool to see. He's bursting with confidence now.

He still has some approach issues to work out but most of them are because of the house ball not fitting properly causing him to do improper movements to keep from dropping the ball. I'll likely get his ball drilled either tomorrow or Thursday. I made sure to point out that his scores will likely drop again until he trusts the grip on his new ball. He does get the house ball to hook pretty darn good all things considered. I can't wait to find out how he will roll a 12lb fingertip.

Since he has a lane at his disposal just about anytime he will be able to make great jumps with his skill level. I fully expect him to be able to hold his own quite well by the time fall rolls around. However the other night his 10 yr old sister whooped his butt with a 138 to his 112 without bumpers. She no longer wants to use them. (atta girl!) She was a spare making machine. She does a 4 step approach as well and actually throws more of a hook than he does and it's not a backup ball. Hmmm....I may have two bowlers in the midst. Something tells me I'll be ordering her a ball soon. She seen the one with hearts all over it at the pro shop and fell in love with it.

I gotta say as a father this is very exciting to see my kids so into this wonderful sport.

That is awesome to read! Happy to hear that both your kiddos are enjoying it!
    If you or your company would like to advertise on BowlingBoards.com, PM me.

Add this to your signature to show your support for BowlingBoards.com and the Bowling Forums

I am a proud member of Bowlingboards.com bowling Forums

Chats: 32

Quote Originally Posted by Phonetek View Post
    I haven't updated this in a while. My son is progressing quite well. He's been bowling his butt of since I work at the bowling alley. 25 games one day 20 another. I'll give him one thing, he's got stamina that I don't have. His new equipment is on a UPS truck as I type this and will either be here today or tomorrow. Although he's been using a house ball and shoes I have to say he's come a very long way very quickly. When we started you seen his scores were well under 100. Just a few weeks later he's getting anywhere from 100-140 every game now. Last week he threw his first strike, Sunday he got his first turkey then 4 in a row in another game. He's doing great on cross lane spares which I didn't expect. His crowning achievement was picking up a 4-7-10 which I about fell over when he did it. At this point I have to say that was luck but still quite cool to see. He's bursting with confidence now.

He still has some approach issues to work out but most of them are because of the house ball not fitting properly causing him to do improper movements to keep from dropping the ball. I'll likely get his ball drilled either tomorrow or Thursday. I made sure to point out that his scores will likely drop again until he trusts the grip on his new ball. He does get the house ball to hook pretty darn good all things considered. I can't wait to find out how he will roll a 12lb fingertip.

Since he has a lane at his disposal just about anytime he will be able to make great jumps with his skill level. I fully expect him to be able to hold his own quite well by the time fall rolls around. However the other night his 10 yr old sister whooped his butt with a 138 to his 112 without bumpers. She no longer wants to use them. (atta girl!) She was a spare making machine. She does a 4 step approach as well and actually throws more of a hook than he does and it's not a backup ball. Hmmm....I may have two bowlers in the midst. Something tells me I'll be ordering her a ball soon. She seen the one with hearts all over it at the pro shop and fell in love with it.

I gotta say as a father this is very exciting to see my kids so into this wonderful sport.
    Congrats Phonetek it's a lot of fun to watch them as they grow in the sport. I've been lucky with mine my youngest daughter has two state championships and a trip to Jr. Gold Championships under her belt. The oldest has one state title which I never really thought I'd see as she doesn't take the game very seriously. We have a lot of fun with it and it's great seeing the kids compete.
    I am a proud member of Bowlingboards.com bowling forums and ball contest winner

Current arsenal

900 Global Badger Claw - Radical Ridiculous Pearl - Spare Ball Ebonite T Zone

Ringer

very nice to hear. I hope I can get my boys out on the lanes more. they enjoy it but many times would rather play the video games.

Quote Originally Posted by bdpeters View Post
    very nice to hear. I hope I can get my boys out on the lanes more. they enjoy it but many times would rather play the video games.
    When they come to work with me they can bowl all they want, shoot pool free or pig out on food but under no circumstances do I give them quarters to pump into arcade games LOL

Quote Originally Posted by Amyers View Post
    Congrats Phonetek it's a lot of fun to watch them as they grow in the sport. I've been lucky with mine my youngest daughter has two state championships and a trip to Jr. Gold Championships under her belt. The oldest has one state title which I never really thought I'd see as she doesn't take the game very seriously. We have a lot of fun with it and it's great seeing the kids compete.
    He has to work hard to get good enough for that but I am certainly gonna do my best to get him there. I'd love to see that. My daughter too if she continues her interest. Unlike my jerk father, I'll make sure never to miss a single match. All the years I bowled my dad never once seen me, even the two televised tournaments I was on he didn't watch. If it wasn't hunting, fishing, his buddies or beer he had no interest. I won't be that way that's for sure, it's too important. Besides, I'm already proud of them now, I can only imagine how it will feel when they get really good.

High Roller

Quote Originally Posted by Phonetek View Post
    He has to work hard to get good enough for that but I am certainly gonna do my best to get him there. I'd love to see that. My daughter too if she continues her interest. Unlike my jerk father, I'll make sure never to miss a single match. All the years I bowled my dad never once seen me, even the two televised tournaments I was on he didn't watch. If it wasn't hunting, fishing, his buddies or beer he had no interest. I won't be that way that's for sure, it's too important. Besides, I'm already proud of them now, I can only imagine how it will feel when they get really good.
    hmmm....sounds familiar. my dad bowled alot in his younger years and worked at his uncles center then after moving here when i was a baby he worked here. but his fast cars, fast women, and beer were always more important than me. i promised myself i would never do that so i don't miss any of my kids stuff and the youngest is 23 now

So my son got his new ball and we picked it up from the PSO tonight and went to throw a few games. Rather odd to see when he threw it that he put zero turn on the ball at all whatsoever. It's all forward roll. I never realized a fingertip could be thrown that straight. It's the complete opposite of what I expected to see which would have been a spinner. A few times it was a slight backup ball. I tried to help him turn it and he understands what I'm telling him but having issues actually doing it. Maybe when he sees it on video he may see what I'm talking about.

One thing to note though, he was doing well hitting his target and picking up spares so he wasn't unhappy. He says having his own ball feels so much better, he can feel the difference. He said even though it's 12lbs it feels lighter than the 10lb house balls because this actually fits. He's very happy with the ball itself, he didn't even want to leave it on the ball return while he went to the bathroom so he put it in his bag. LOL A little goofy but I'm glad he's happy. I just have to figure out how to help his release.

Chats: 32

It will take time to develop it did with mine. Show him proper behind the ball hand positioning and give him time. it will come around.
    I am a proud member of Bowlingboards.com bowling forums and ball contest winner

Current arsenal

900 Global Badger Claw - Radical Ridiculous Pearl - Spare Ball Ebonite T Zone

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12