Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: bought a bunch of balls tonight

High Roller
    Chats: 0

Weighed the balls tonight just because I was told they were all 15 but some felt heavier. Anyway:

Bad A$$ = 15.0 lbs. (has a balance hole and never redrilled)
    Storm Sync (the one I have been using) = 16.0 lbs. (never redrilled)
    Spike1 = 14.2 lbs. (redrilled)
    Spike2 = 14.2 (has a balance hole and redrilled)
    Columbia Oath = 14.2 lbs. (never redrilled)
    Hammer Absolut Curve = 15.4 lbs. (never redrilled)

These were weighed with my digital bathroom scale so may be off slightly but were all weighed at the same time in the same place so comparisons should be equal. I added whether they have balance holes or ever been redrilled just as an FYI.

I was told they were all 15 lb except the Storm. Are the 14.2's actually 14 lb or is that just the variance?

Another question...if they are drilled for a rightie will there be a problem having them plugged and redrilled for a lefty? My concern would be if we are flipping the holes around (I assume you would have to to get the weight block in the correct position for lefty vs. righty?) would there be an issue if the ball now rolls over the old plugged thumb hole? Not sure if this would happen or not but just thinking out loud.
    Last edited by boatman37; 01-24-2018 at 10:57 PM.

Bowling Guru
    Chats: 13

Quote Originally Posted by boatman37 View Post
    Weighed the balls tonight just because I was told they were all 15 but some felt heavier. Anyway:

Bad A$$ = 15.0 lbs. (has a balance hole and never redrilled)
    Storm Sync (the one I have been using) = 16.0 lbs. (never redrilled)
    Spike1 = 14.2 lbs. (redrilled)
    Spike2 = 14.2 (has a balance hole and redrilled)
    Columbia Oath = 14.2 lbs. (never redrilled)
    Hammer Absolut Curve = 15.4 lbs. (never redrilled)

These were weighed with my digital bathroom scale so may be off slightly but were all weighed at the same time in the same place so comparisons should be equal. I added whether they have balance holes or ever been redrilled just as an FYI.

I was told they were all 15 lb except the Storm. Are the 14.2's actually 14 lb or is that just the variance?

Another question...if they are drilled for a rightie will there be a problem having them plugged and redrilled for a lefty? My concern would be if we are flipping the holes around (I assume you would have to to get the weight block in the correct position for lefty vs. righty?) would there be an issue if the ball now rolls over the old plugged thumb hole? Not sure if this would happen or not but just thinking out loud.
    I have two balls that were originally drilled for another right handed bowler that were plugged and redrilled to fit my left hand. In neither case does my track cross a plugged finger or thumb hole. I suspect this should hold true for you as well, but looking at the position of the pin to the original holes the previous owner had a some what different layout on these balls. Most of the time the pin is just above or just below the finger holes and not very far from the centerline of the grip. On both of these balls the pin is above and to the right of the ring finger whe looking down at the ball with the thumb hole closest to you. The current drilling has the pin just over ring finger.
    John

High Roller

Thanks. Good to know. My PSO was trying to talk me out of redrilling these and wanting me to buy a new ball. I think I would be better off using one of these old ones for the rest of the year just to get back into form after a 15 year break. The Storm I am using now is drilled for a lefty but not for me and my forearms are a little sore from my ring and middle finger. I think I am having to grip the ball too hard. I think this is also causing some of my inconsistency as I am constantly fighting the ball and not able to have a fluid motion through the ball. At least getting one drilled for me will let me concentrate on my form and release. I notice this because when I use a teammates right-handed 15 lb'er I feel much more relaxed. Might run to the shop tonight to drop one of those off to get plugged. Our team has a bye next week so that would be a good time for me to experiment.

Bowler

Well after getting back into bowling a couple of weeks ago and having absolutely no equipment my wife found somebody selling a Hammer 4 ball roller bag along with 6 bowling balls. I wasn't really interested in the balls but did need a bag so made an offer on the bag and it was accepted. Went to pick up the bag tonight and threw out a number for everything and it was accepted so ended up with the following:

(2) Hammer Spikes (blue/orange)
    (1) Hammer Bad A$$ (pin just below the right finger hole)
    (1) Hammer Absolute Curve (pin above and slightly right of the right finger hole)
    (1) Brunswick Ultra Zone
    (1) Columbia Oath

Oh...and the bowling bag

They are all supposed to be 15# and all drilled for fingertip with inserts. The Zone is cracked and chipped near the finger holes so likely no good and I am not putting anything into it to try to fix it. They are supposed to be right handed but not sure about that. Smaller span with smaller fingers so I can't use any of them as is.

My plan is to give 2 of them to my youngest boys (28 and 24 so not that young...lol). They aren't really into bowling but do go occasionally and who knows, if they have better equipment maybe they will get into it. Might take one of them to have set up as a spare ball as my Storm Sync has way too much hook for spares. Probably sell whatever is left.

So they are 'supposed' to be drilled right handed but all of them the right side finger is further away than the left? Most are drilled with the pin just above the right finger hole. The guy was a pretty good bowler. Looked him up and saw articles of 800's online. Didn't meet him. Dealt with his wife but she said he is a righty and she should know...lol. I can use a right handed ball for spares, mainly just something with less hook on it. Might take one of those and get new inserts and have them redrill the thumb hole.

I plan to buy a brand new first ball before the start of next season but for now I will make do with what I have.

So of those balls which would likely be the straighter ball that I could set up for spares? The Columbia Oath?

P.S.-these balls are all used up pretty good so they aren't something I would want as my primary equipment at my level. The bag alone was worth what I paid for everything so the balls were pretty much free.

EDIT:
    Well my son came home and took the Absolute Curve so that one is off the table. He bowled in youth leagues when he was younger but only till he was about 8 and threw a straight ball then.
    the bad *** has an aggressive back end. I have one and love it. but you have to really go after 10 pins. I would recommend another ball for spares tbh

High Roller

Same with the Storm Sync i'm using now. Rolls pretty straight until about 5' from the pins then turns hard. forget 7 pins (i'm a lefty). i use a teammates ball for the 7's...lol

If the ball is round you can use it. I roll many that are as old or older than this set. Decide which weight you want and pick one to have plugged and redrilled. A correct fit for you is essential (and more important than the layout).

I would think about finding a different PSO. I personally have several good ones near me. i wouldn't want to work with someone who is pushing to sell me a new ball, when a plug , redrill and resurface is all you need right now. I also don't want someone who talks down other PSO's to try and gain business. I have two that i use that are great. My favorite spends time working with me to guide me to get what I want. His helpfulness is so good and his skill is top notch. He believes I will buy balls and services based on how helpful he is. And that is true.

High Roller

I think the comment about the old PSO was more tongue in cheek. The old PSO used to run the shop the new one runs and the old PSO still bowls in our league. I think his comment was as much about how long ago I had my last ball drilled (about 1990) and how everything has changed. As far as a new ball, his point was why spend $70 getting an old ball redrilled when he could get me a cheap brand new one for about $120. problem is I don't want a 'cheap' ball. I'm a firm believer in 'you get what you pay for' and would rather wait until U am more comfortable with bowling again before buying a brand new ball.

Cranker

for about $120. problem is I don't want a 'cheap' ball. I'm a firm believer in 'you get what you pay for' and would rather wait until U am more comfortable with bowling again before buying a brand new ball.

I think you should definitely wait until you buy a new ball but don't get hung up on the prices. There are plenty of awesome balls that are considered mid-range or entry level. A few years ago all the Storm and Rotogrip staffers were throwing the Haywire which is considered a mid range ball. Diana Zavjalova won her first USBC Queens tournament a few years ago throwing an Ebonite Cyclone which is considered entry level.

Chats: 32

Price of a ball doesn't really apply much to performance. A lot of the expensive balls are heavy oil monsters that aren't needed for what you see on league night.
    I am a proud member of Bowlingboards.com bowling forums and ball contest winner

Current arsenal

900 Global Badger Claw - Radical Ridiculous Pearl - Spare Ball Ebonite T Zone

High Roller

I feel so lost in todays bowling world...lol. Thats one reason I want to wait to get a new ball. To give me time to get re-acclimated to it and to get more familiar with the new style balls versus what was out 25 years ago when I bought my last one.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast