Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Drilled my ball without seeing me throw.

Default Drilled my ball without seeing me throw.

I am considering getting a new ball in the next month or so but I am wondering if I should wait.

Here's my quandary. Last fall, after a long layoff, I just got back into bowling. Previously, I had never bowled with a fingertip grip. In fact, the ball I had prior to this was drilled at a Dick's Sporting Goods (I know, right?)

At any rate, I went to a shop last fall and they measured me, drilled my ball and sent me on my way.

I later bought a second ball online and, using the measurements of the first ball, they drilled the second for me.

However, none of this was done by ever seeing me bowl a frame.

So, for those who regularly purchase balls, what is your procedure for getting a ball drilled? I feel silly even asking this but, this question has been nagging me for a few weeks.

Any insight on this would be greatly appreciated.

Chats: 32

Your PSO should really watch you throw and should every time before buying a ball otherwise how to they know how your game has changed. In all honesty if your newer to the game and just getting into bowling (which I'm guessing since you had a ball drilled at Dick's lol) it wont hurt anything. The pso watching you throw is so they can tailor the reaction to your personal game and how you bowl. if your a newer bowler this wont matter much as your game is still evolving
    I am a proud member of Bowlingboards.com bowling forums and ball contest winner

Current arsenal

900 Global Badger Claw - Radical Ridiculous Pearl - Spare Ball Ebonite T Zone

Bowling Guru
    Chats: 13

Quote Originally Posted by jaypeesmith View Post
    I am considering getting a new ball in the next month or so but I am wondering if I should wait.

Here's my quandary. Last fall, after a long layoff, I just got back into bowling. Previously, I had never bowled with a fingertip grip. In fact, the ball I had prior to this was drilled at a Dick's Sporting Goods (I know, right?)

At any rate, I went to a shop last fall and they measured me, drilled my ball and sent me on my way.

I later bought a second ball online and, using the measurements of the first ball, they drilled the second for me.

So, for those who regularly purchase balls, what is your procedure for getting a ball drilled? I feel silly even asking this but, this question has been nagging me for a few weeks.

For a first ball or a spare ball, it’s only about the fit. For the second ball, they need to see your current ball go down the lane a few times to figure out the best layout.
    John

Super Moderator
    Blog Entries
    Chats: 554

Quote Originally Posted by jaypeesmith View Post

As J.A. said your first fingertip ball is more about fit. An since you had just came back to bowling and had just used a conventional grip before, watching you bowl really wouldn't help.

The PAP on a conventional ball won't be the same as one on a fingertip ball. Borrowing a fingertip and rolling it wouldn't help either, because someone new to fingertip won't have a stable PAP for awhile.

Now depending on when you got the second ball, they could have watched you bowl and get your PAP then. It would just kind of depend.

Now if your going to get another ball now, then I would bring it up with the PSO. If you have the option to go to another proshop, Wouldn't hurt to go talk to them and compare.

Right handed Stroker, high track ,about 13 degree axis tilt. PAP is located 5 9/16” over 1 3/4” up.Speed ave. about 14 mph at the pins. Medium rev’s.High Game 300, High series 798

"Talent without training is nothing." Luke Skywalker

Chats: 2

About 2 years ago I switched PSO's to a guy 2.5 hours away from me (the closest one that isn't my terrible in-house PSO). He'd seen me bowl a few times, but I just gave him my PAP and grip sizes and had him punch things up for me. Everything he has drilled for me has been awesome. However, with the latest ball (Storm Pitch Black), I catch the middle finger with my flare. Not a huge issue for me as the ball rolls extremely consistent, just very annoying lol. I'm a pretty high track guy anyway, so any slight change in my PAP could have affected it. Next ball he does, I'm going to just check my PAP myself (not too hard to do), and resend him the things he will need.
    • Current Arsenal: Storm Timeless, Storm Phaze II, Storm Pitch Black, Storm Drive, Rotogrip Hot Cell, Rotogrip Show Off, DV8 Turmoil Pearl
    • High Game: 300 (3 11 in a row) / High Series: 799
    • Current Average: 202 / PAP: 5" over, 1/8" up
    • Rev Rate: 425rpm / 2-Hands

Super Moderator
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by chip82901 View Post
    About 2 years ago I switched PSO's to a guy 2.5 hours away from me (the closest one that isn't my terrible in-house PSO). He'd seen me bowl a few times, but I just gave him my PAP and grip sizes and had him punch things up for me. Everything he has drilled for me has been awesome. However, with the latest ball (Storm Pitch Black), I catch the middle finger with my flare. Not a huge issue for me as the ball rolls extremely consistent, just very annoying lol. I'm a pretty high track guy anyway, so any slight change in my PAP could have affected it. Next ball he does, I'm going to just check my PAP myself (not too hard to do), and resend him the things he will need.
    Since your a high track, your pin most likely is too low.

Draw a line from your PAP through the ring finger hole to the track (This shows the flare safe zone). If the pin is below that line your more likely to track/flare over the holes.

More info here scroll down to flare safe zone:
    http://www.bowlingboards.com/entries...wling-Notes-02

Right handed Stroker, high track ,about 13 degree axis tilt. PAP is located 5 9/16” over 1 3/4” up.Speed ave. about 14 mph at the pins. Medium rev’s.High Game 300, High series 798

Chats: 2

Quote Originally Posted by bowl1820 View Post
    Since your a high track, your pin most likely is too low.

Draw a line from your PAP through the ring finger hole to the track (This shows the flare safe zone). If the pin is below that line your more likely to track/flare over the holes.

More info here scroll down to flare safe zone:
    http://www.bowlingboards.com/entries...wling-Notes-02
    He followed Storm's high track safe zone procedures. He's been drilling Storm balls since they started and is a storm rep. No clue why I'm catching the fingers other than something has changed. I'm almost certain it's something I've changed in my game.
    • Current Arsenal: Storm Timeless, Storm Phaze II, Storm Pitch Black, Storm Drive, Rotogrip Hot Cell, Rotogrip Show Off, DV8 Turmoil Pearl
    • High Game: 300 (3 11 in a row) / High Series: 799
    • Current Average: 202 / PAP: 5" over, 1/8" up
    • Rev Rate: 425rpm / 2-Hands

Chats: 1

Quote Originally Posted by chip82901 View Post
    He followed Storm's high track safe zone procedures. He's been drilling Storm balls since they started and is a storm rep. No clue why I'm catching the fingers other than something has changed. I'm almost certain it's something I've changed in my game.
    But he is human, and we do make mistakes at times. Just have him check it again, or get a second opinion.
    Style: Power Stroker/Tweener - 16.5 - 17.5 mph, PAP 4 1/2 x 0

In the bags:
    Retooled with 15 lb equipment.

In the Bag: Radical Ludicrous, 900Global Honey Badger Claw, 900Global Honey Badger, DV8 spareball

In the Bullpen : Radical Quick Fix, Radical Katana

The archives: Ebonite Grey Wolf (first 300), Red Wolf (first 700). Just can't let them go.

I am a proud member of Bowlingboards.com bowling Forums

High Roller
    Chats: 0

I bought a new ball Tuesday night. My PSO just measured my hand and fingers. I didn't have any balls that fit me. I had been using one drilled for a righty. He did look at that ball but obviously couldn't gather much from it. He looked around the shop to see if he had any lefties that were close to me but no luck there either. He did say the ball I bought was perfect for a lefty. Its a Hammer Black Widow Gold. The CG is a few inches down from the pin and the MB is at about the 7:00 position when looking at the drilling pattern. He was going to drill it with the CG right in the center of the grip. He said with the MB where it was that would work good for me. There was no mention of PAP but maybe because he had nothing to go off of? It will be drilled pin up but not sure if he will center it above the fingers or offset it to one side. I will find out Tuesday.

Last week I saw him watching and recording a fellow bowler then marked the track and used a plastic tool to lay over the ball. Then he verified the edge of the tool lined up with something. I didn't really see if it was tape, the pin, or the CG or what though.

Super Moderator
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by boatman37 View Post
    Last week I saw him watching and recording a fellow bowler then marked the track and used a plastic tool to lay over the ball. Then he verified the edge of the tool lined up with something. I didn't really see if it was tape, the pin, or the CG or what though.
    probably a armadillo, you can see it being used here . You line it up with the oil track and it locates your PAP.

Armadillo
    Last edited by bowl1820; 02-01-2018 at 04:02 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast