Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Severe finger pain

High Roller
    Chats: 0

My PSO charges $60 for plug/redrill and $10 for inserts so not far off what you were quoted. All 3 holes with inserts is $70. Not sure what it would be if it were only the 2 finger holes but probably at least $50-60

I called my guy who I always used to go to just to see what he'd charge me. Thirty bucks. I'm not sure if that's "my price" or what he'd normally charge. Either way that's more like it. I'll be dropping my ball off by the weekend.

Cranker

Quote Originally Posted by Phonetek View Post
    I called my guy who I always used to go to just to see what he'd charge me. Thirty bucks. I'm not sure if that's "my price" or what he'd normally charge. Either way that's more like it. I'll be dropping my ball off by the weekend.
    Cool, hopefully the new grip will make a huge difference. Also don't be shy to go back to the PSO until the grip is just right. Let us know how you make out this weekend.

Quote Originally Posted by JasonNJ View Post
    Cool, hopefully the new grip will make a huge difference. Also don't be shy to go back to the PSO until the grip is just right. Let us know how you make out this weekend.
    Oh I will, I'm dropping it off Saturday but I won't likely pick it up until later next week but I'll let you know. I know other than the pitch being done improperly that the ball was drilled properly to fit my hand many years ago. Since that was an early reactive ball I doubt the PSO knew then about not drilling reactive balls for lift because that's how balls were drilled then. I know my hand has changed since, I weigh at least 40lbs less than I did back then so it's obvious. I'm curious to see how much more back end the ball will have when it fits again. Last night it was moving like an old Black Knight polyester ball, not like the reactive resin ball it is. Basically with that grip I might as well have kept my ring finger out because that's how it was moving. I'm very excited now. I still think I might as well go get a physical, It's been about a year so I'm due. I'll have her take a look at my hands too to see if there are any signs of arthritis. It can't hurt so I'd rather err on the side of caution.

Hey another thing my PSO said was what a few of you mentioned earlier in this post. He asked me the weight and I told him 16lb. He said exactly what you guys said about 15's. He doesn't even stock 16's anymore because the 15's are designed to hit as if they were 16's if not better. I gotta say guys, this is a real genuine surprise to me. He said everyone switched because one it's easier on the body and two you can get a better rev rate. This is really intriguing to me hearing this, I never would have thought. So not only did I hear it from you guys but my PSO as well and I trust anything and any advise he gives me. He's never done me wrong and I know he won't in the future. He did say he'd fix my 16lb ball if I want him to but he'd hook me up with a used 15lb reactive ball for the same price, drilling included. So with that offer I'd be a fool to not go that route instead and get something comparable to what I have until I can afford my upcoming arsenal. Plus I have a 15lb original black Hammer that my wife used to use that I can have redrilled for a spare ball. With her back problems she has now it's way too heavy for her. So I guess I'll be back in business for while.

For what it's worth:

I started bowling again last year after a 15 year layoff. I always used power lift fingertip grips and so naturally used them in my new equipment.
    It wasn't long before I experienced terrible finger joint pain after each bowling session. I have since changed the grips from power lifts to standard ovals and the after bowling pain has stopped. I was lucky to find the cure so easily.

Maybe this will help somebody...

I'm going to go with ovals. I don't remember if they were ovals or lifts when they first got put in. They are so worn down it's too difficult to tell. Since lift isn't really the name of the game anymore I see no need for anything else than ovals. Only decision I need to make now is soft or super soft?

Cranker

I will say if you can physically throw a 16lb ball exactly like you could a 15lb then just on physics alone the 16lb ball would be better. Unless your name is EJ Tackett most people can't throw them the same so the increased speed and rev rate they gain from dropping 1lb more than compensates for the weight loss.

Everything comes down to how things feel I suppose. I tend to like the softest finger grips. From what I've found out it seems the black and the clear Vise style grips are the softest. So I bought the clear ones. The standard grips our PSO used was with lifts. I ordered the grips O/PO which is ovals and power ovals. The power ovals aren't as exaggerated as the power lifts. One of my balls seemed to feel a little strange and had the PSO put the power oval up on the ring finger and it feels a bit better.
    Most times I have them put in with ovals up my preferred way. Bought a batch of 10 of each size. Not expensive on-line. Got them from Gebhardt's.

Quote Originally Posted by JasonNJ View Post
    I will say if you can physically throw a 16lb ball exactly like you could a 15lb then just on physics alone the 16lb ball would be better. Unless your name is EJ Tackett most people can't throw them the same so the increased speed and rev rate they gain from dropping 1lb more than compensates for the weight loss.
    One thing I certainly don't need a speed increase, I don't know the mph because where I bowl doesn't record that but I get comments all the time from people on how hard I throw. I'm tall and very skinny so people don't expect it I guess. It's something I don't try to do it just is what it is and the way it's always been. To me it doesn't seem like I'm throwing that hard. I have long legs and that's where the speed comes from not my arm. Not knowing the mph I know I'm on the higher end of the spectrum. If the 15 ends up going faster I'm going to need the extra revs to keep it from deflecting but were only talking 1 pound so I can't think it would be that bad. I did have a 14 for a while I'd mess around with and THAT did deflect and it was very obvious with my leaves.

Quote Originally Posted by djp1080 View Post
    Everything comes down to how things feel I suppose. I tend to like the softest finger grips. From what I've found out it seems the black and the clear Vise style grips are the softest. So I bought the clear ones. The standard grips our PSO used was with lifts. I ordered the grips O/PO which is ovals and power ovals. The power ovals aren't as exaggerated as the power lifts. One of my balls seemed to feel a little strange and had the PSO put the power oval up on the ring finger and it feels a bit better.
    Most times I have them put in with ovals up my preferred way. Bought a batch of 10 of each size. Not expensive on-line. Got them from Gebhardt's.
    I've always used the white lifts except for the last ball which was my first and only reactive ball. I'm assuming they are ovals but given how worn they are they may have been lifts but there is no way to tell. The PSO couldn't even tell. I'm only guessing though since it's reactive resin they shouldn't have been lifts. The only non-white ones I tried were the blue Steve Cook's vise grips when they came out. I was 14yrs old and bowling in a televised tournament and they flew out of the ball in the 2nd frame. I bought the ball right before the match so I don't know if he didn't use enough glue, the wrong glue or it just didn't dry but it was embarrassing. For what it's worth, they felt great but I never used them again. Now that my hands are beat to death and have 32 more years on them than they did then comfort is much more paramount at this time. I see some online called 10th Frame super soft whites but I'm a little leery because they are $1. I'd probably have to change them way more often. The clear Vise seem they would be better but it would be more difficult to see the ball roll. I guess I could sacrifice seeing the roll for comfort. I never thought all this would be so difficult LOL

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast