Thread: (Video) Help/feedback requested

Default (Video) Help/feedback requested

(Shots in video are at 0:28, 1:00, 1:45, 2:28, 3:00, 3:40, 5:10, 5:46, 6:25, 7:50, 8:20, 9:00)

Video of a recent game I wasn't too happy with. I'm wildly inconsistent and might shoot 210 or might shoot 130, depending on how things are going.
    That thumbnail is a good indication of how this was feeling. To me, I don't look powerful or balanced, and the ball seems way to far from my slide foot.
    I was noticing during this session something that's been a problem for me lately: my hand is turning way too early, which might lead to a release that loses the ball right, or one that pulls, and often on that's rotating around the thumbhole. If you look at the shots at 3:00, 8:20, and 9:00, I tried to open my hand a bit more to keep it behind the ball in the backswing and maybe through release, and it looks like that exaggerated a different issue - my backswing is coming back behind my body, which then might be leading to an out-to-in swing coming through. In golf, we called this "over the top", and if you were lucky you could play a controlled fade that day, otherwise you were just fighting either a big slice or a terrible pulled duck hook. I may see if I can do something in the mirror at home to see if I can get a better feel for where the ball should be in my backswing (I did try, and it feels really good behind my back, and not so good behind my head, so more work is needed).

Any other notes or feedback is appreciated. (Like, for example - this is a four-step delivery, but am I holding the ball too long before starting my backswing?)

This looks like some good info, https://www.bowlingball.com/BowlVers...e-bowling-ball, specifically:
    Making sure you keep the inside bone of your bowling elbow tucked closely toward your torso during your forward swing will help you from turning your whole arm as well as rotating your fingers while releasing the bowling ball, regardless of your release technique.

Teen Masters Skill Experience
    A series of ten Teen Masters Skill Experience videos designed to help you master the skills necessary to compete at your best from the experts at the Kegel Training Center.

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...rWOiv31xttCKuQ

Master these drills start with week #4 then #5 then #6 then #2 then #3. You can watch week #7 ,#8,#9 and #10 as you go along to help with your game.

I'll take a look, thanks!

Bowling is comprised of a whole lot of physical components that work together to create a successful result. When you look at the individual components separately, you are not getting a true picture. Your original post that refers to your backswing coming behind your back and the timing of your push away gives me the distinct impression that what you are trying to do presents are very real danger of really screwing up your bowling. Find a qualified coach. In one lesson he or she can get you going in the right direction. It's worth every penny that you spend.

Bowling Guru
    Chats: 13

Quote Originally Posted by mishatx View Post
    (Shots in video are at 0:28, 1:00, 1:45, 2:28, 3:00, 3:40, 5:10, 5:46, 6:25, 7:50, 8:20, 9:00)

Video of a recent game I wasn't too happy with. I'm wildly inconsistent and might shoot 210 or might shoot 130, depending on how things are going.
    That thumbnail is a good indication of how this was feeling. To me, I don't look powerful or balanced, and the ball seems way to far from my slide foot.
    I was noticing during this session something that's been a problem for me lately: my hand is turning way too early, which might lead to a release that loses the ball right, or one that pulls, and often on that's rotating around the thumbhole. If you look at the shots at 3:00, 8:20, and 9:00, I tried to open my hand a bit more to keep it behind the ball in the backswing and maybe through release, and it looks like that exaggerated a different issue - my backswing is coming back behind my body, which then might be leading to an out-to-in swing coming through. In golf, we called this "over the top", and if you were lucky you could play a controlled fade that day, otherwise you were just fighting either a big slice or a terrible pulled duck hook. I may see if I can do something in the mirror at home to see if I can get a better feel for where the ball should be in my backswing (I did try, and it feels really good behind my back, and not so good behind my head, so more work is needed).

Any other notes or feedback is appreciated. (Like, for example - this is a four-step delivery, but am I holding the ball too long before starting my backswing?)

First, this is not a great video to try to analyze. I assume this was shot with a smart phone propped up on something behind you. the camera needs to be higher, focused on the back of your right shoulder, and in portrait mode. There should also a side view taken from your right, camera in landscape mode and with some one actually holding the phone/camera, panning to keep you in the center of the frame. It is hard to gauge timing and release issues without this view.

From what I could see you do have too much side tilt by the end of the approach, and the back swing does appear to vary a great deal.

Finally, I agree with Rob that you would be better served by finding a good, i.e. USBC certified, local coach.
    John

I'm aware that this isn't ideal video for analysis - I didn't take it for that purpose. It's just after looking at it I thought I'd see if I could badger out some free advice.

And yes, I'm aware that a coach is the right answer (I considered putting that disclaimer in my original post), but right now I'm a sneak-a-few-games-in-during-a-lunch-break-a-time-or-two-a-month bowler, so the time and money commitment for lessons is silly since I might find myself not going bowling again for 6 months.

And Rob, don't misunderstand me - I'm not trying to breakdown the swing into individual parts, but rather, starting with the presenting issue (release position), view the swing as a whole working backwards to see where things start to have issues. The swing plane issues seemed obvious, but as I was watching the video while making the post I was somewhat wondering out loud if there was something happening in the pushaway that was leading to issues, or something else an experienced set of eyes might notice (you'll never carry well if you stand on your feet! Start there!)