Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Finger Insert Questions?

Chats: 0

Default Finger Insert Questions?

With my recent issues of finger pain and finding out my inserts were worn to the point of being way to big it made me realize I should have changed them a long time ago. I've never changed them for any reason besides when I was still a growing child and grew out of the insert size.

1. Just how ofter should you change them?

2. Do soft/super soft ones wear faster?

3. What brand would you recommend?

4. I've seen the ones that are textured on the inside, do those actually help?

5. When putting them in whats the preferred glue to use?

Super Moderator
    Blog Entries
    Chats: 554

Quote Originally Posted by Phonetek View Post
    With my recent issues of finger pain and finding out my inserts were worn to the point of being way to big it made me realize I should have changed them a long time ago. I've never changed them for any reason besides when I was still a growing child and grew out of the insert size.

1-When they are worn, But most charts say about every 60 games. so about 2-3 times a season.
    2-Yes
    3-Vise and Turbo are the two main brands either one is fine and are the easiest to get.
    4-Depends on the feel your wanting, but the texture wears off.
    5-Super Glue, the Gel is the easiest and is less messy to use, remember to use super glue sparingly.

Note: Insert sizes can vary slightly from brand to brand/type to type and the way in which the insert sizes are listed differs between brands. So if you find one that fits good, you should try and stay with that brand&type.

If you find a set of grips that fit good, buy a extra set or two from the same batch. That way you have them on hand, so you can put them in yourself or have the pso put them in.

Also most insert types come in half sizes, so you should be able to fine tune the fit.

How sharp or dull the drill bit is the PSO's used to drill the holes can affect the feel of the size or if one shop used a 31/32" vs a 61/64" bit can make the same size grips feel different.

If you go in to get grips put in, have them put in without gluing them first. Try your fingers in to see how they fit and adjust if needed.

Loctite Gel Super Glue in the small tubes is pretty good. The tube has a tiny hole in the tip that allows you to put a very small drop in and the gel doesn't spread as much as regular super glue and doesn't set up quite as quickly.

You want to put the glue a little farther down in the hole. (It's felt that gluing close to the surface promotes cracking)

I glue the bridge side first, then the high side and cut it flush with a razor blade (some like to push the high side of the grip down to make it flush, But I feel pushing the high side of the grip down deforms the hole slightly.)

I'd only glue 3 sides (aka:3-6-9 method), leaving the finger nail side unglued that way you have the option of using shims if needed later.

Have a small bottle of acetone to wipe off any glue that might run out (if using a liquid glue), plus you can use a little on a rag to smooth the edge of the grip if you trim it off.
    Last edited by bowl1820; 01-26-2018 at 10:30 PM.

Right handed Stroker, high track ,about 13 degree axis tilt. PAP is located 5 9/16” over 1 3/4” up.Speed ave. about 14 mph at the pins. Medium rev’s.High Game 300, High series 798

"Talent without training is nothing." Luke Skywalker

Well that explains it, I probably have at least 500 games on them and that's a low guess. I gotta say, that is a very detailed set of answers that I think I'm going to print out and keep.
    Last edited by Phonetek; 01-26-2018 at 10:41 PM.

Cranker

Well that explains it, I probably have at least 500 games on them and that's a low guess. I gotta say, that is a very detailed set of answers that I think I'm going to print out and keep.
    Bowl1820 is a walking Bowling Encyclopedia. Although that's probably dated. So maybe a Bowling Alexa\Google Assistant\Siri. =P

Quote Originally Posted by JasonNJ View Post
    Bowl1820 is a walking Bowling Encyclopedia. Although that's probably dated. So maybe a Bowling Alexa\Google Assistant\Siri. =P
    I know right? He's quite the Bowlipedia.

One more question and it may be a silly one but if I look like an idiot then so be it. In my thinking about inserts, there various types, various brands with different traits. What I am thinking about doing is buying several different ones and trying them out. Then when I find the ones I like then buy them in bulk to save some money. If I want to experiment, is it one of those deals that once you take them out they are trash or can you re-glue them. Is there a way to extract them safely so as to not trash them just in case? I seen the tool for extracting them but I don't know what it does to them in the process. I know I put to much on them to not glue them even for a couple frames, they WILL fly out. As I said before, been there done that!

When the inserts loses it tightness!

Yes

Don't have a favorite

They may help a little If you need help with adding revolutions.

Super Glue

Yep, pretty much a mirror of what Bowl1820 said just a Cliff's notes version. LOL That's okay though, it's all good, screen space is free. Given my hand issues I'm going with soft as I can get even though I'll have to change them more often. I'll consider it as a "bowling expense". As far as getting textured ones, I'm not going to do that, I'm satisfied with my rev rate and adding more will likely do more harm than good. What I really want to know is if you can take them out and re-use them later? Refer to previous post for details.

Chats: 2

1-I change mine about every 50-60 games. If you use more than one ball fairly often, change all your grips at the same time to maintain a consistent feel.

2. I prefer softer grips for feel. Just a personal preference.

3. I've tried Vise, Turbo, some other brands. I recently switched to Ultimate Inserts this year and have been in love since. Soft and durable.

4. Some guys like the texture, some guys like the power lifts. Myself, I prefer just regular ovals. It's all a preference thing. Try it all and see which one feels best.

5. Some companies say not to use super glue as it damages the coverstock by how it hardens. When I purchased my Ultimate Inserts this year (before they were bought by Brunswick), I bought the glue from easy-strike. They had 3 different consistencies upon ordering, thin, medium, and thick. I went with the medium, but I wish I would have went with the thick.
    • Current Arsenal: Storm Timeless, Storm Phaze II, Storm Pitch Black, Storm Drive, Rotogrip Hot Cell, Rotogrip Show Off, DV8 Turmoil Pearl
    • High Game: 300 (3 11 in a row) / High Series: 799
    • Current Average: 202 / PAP: 5" over, 1/8" up
    • Rev Rate: 425rpm / 2-Hands

Chats: 32

Yep, pretty much a mirror of what Bowl1820 said just a Cliff's notes version. LOL That's okay though, it's all good, screen space is free. Given my hand issues I'm going with soft as I can get even though I'll have to change them more often. I'll consider it as a "bowling expense". As far as getting textured ones, I'm not going to do that, I'm satisfied with my rev rate and adding more will likely do more harm than good. What I really want to know is if you can take them out and re-use them later? Refer to previous post for details.
    I've had some I was able to get out and remove with the tool and reuse I've also torn some up. Unless they are just very new I don't worry about it as they are a few dollars

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast