Thread: Ball weight change?

Default Ball weight change?

Hey everyone! New member here. I wanted to discuss an issue I’ve been having lately. I’ve been bowling 2 years or so years now. Back then I would alternate between 2 handed and one handed and now I’ve commited myself to one handed bowling. At the moment I own a 14 lb Storm Phaze (drilled for 2handed bowling), 15 lb Snap Lock (which is my main ball I use daily), and a 14 lb Spare Ball. So the issue that I’ve been having is that after during my 3rd game of bowling my arm + wrist tend to give up/fatigue. My average isn’t that high being 165-180. Game 1 167, Game 2 176 Game 3 113. I want to be able to practice more and increase my score so that later in the future I would join a league and feel comfortable.

So what would you all recommend? I’ve been looking into a new bowling ball and I’ve been interested in the Brunswick Quantum Black and should I get it at 14lbs so that I’ll be able to last longer while playing?

Thank you - Chris

Cranker
    Chats: 0

Without seeing you bowl and knowing nothing about you physically its really hard to recommend a weight. You need to bowl with a weight that is comfortable for you. If you are saying by the 3rd game your wrist and arm are fatigued, its possible going 14lb will help but I would recommend you get some coaching or go to your PSO and tell him your issue. Maybe they can correct something in your form to help with the fatigue or recommend the proper weight of ball.

Bowling Guru
    Chats: 13

Quote Originally Posted by larossho View Post
    Hey everyone! New member here. I wanted to discuss an issue I’ve been having lately. I’ve been bowling 2 years or so years now. Back then I would alternate between 2 handed and one handed and now I’ve commited myself to one handed bowling. At the moment I own a 14 lb Storm Phaze (drilled for 2handed bowling), 15 lb Snap Lock (which is my main ball I use daily), and a 14 lb Spare Ball. So the issue that I’ve been having is that after during my 3rd game of bowling my arm + wrist tend to give up/fatigue. My average isn’t that high being 165-180. Game 1 167, Game 2 176 Game 3 113. I want to be able to practice more and increase my score so that later in the future I would join a league and feel comfortable.

So what would you all recommend? I’ve been looking into a new bowling ball and I’ve been interested in the Brunswick Quantum Black and should I get it at 14lbs so that I’ll be able to last longer while playing?

Thank you - Chris
    First of all, make sure that your spare ball and the snap lock fit properly. Poor fit is one of the most common reasons for premature fatigue. Second, have a qualified coach check your technique. A ball like the Snap Lock doesn’t require a lot of physical effort to make it hook. It’s my guess that either your fit is off or you’re trying too hard to make the ball hook.

If your coach and or the PSO agree that 15# is the right weight for you, you shoulg get rid of the 14# equipment, and get a 15# spare ball and Quantum. Switching from one weight to another for different shots is never recommended, even though you can find lots of bowlers who say they do it all the time with no problems.

If you don’t like the idea of having to spring for two new balls just get the Quantum in 14#, have the Phaze drilled for a one hand approach and get rid of the Sure Lock.
    John

It’s really hard talking to a coach and our pro shop guy since they only show up on league day and they’re constantly busy. If I remember correct the coach I spoke to said it’ll be 20-25 bucks an hour. Idk maybe more it was ridiculous how much he was charging. I’m 22 years old and weight about 150 pounds. I’m not too thin or too big just slim I guess.

If there’s any way that I could show you a video of me bowling well then that’ll be great. Well I have my spare ball in a sarge easter grip which fits really comfortable and my Snap Lock is a traditional fingertip grip

Bowling Guru
    Chats: 13

It’s really hard talking to a coach and our pro shop guy since they only show up on league day and they’re constantly busy. If I remember correct the coach I spoke to said it’ll be 20-25 bucks an hour. Idk maybe more it was ridiculous how much he was charging. I’m 22 years old and weight about 150 pounds. I’m not too thin or too big just slim I guess.
    Around here $25/hour for coaching would be a 50% off sale. At 150 pounds and assuming average height, I would think you should be able to use a 15 pound ball. There are two ways of gauging if you can handle a given weight ball. One is to hold the ball, arm hanging straight down at your side, and try to cup your wrist for at least 10 seconds. If you can’t easily hold that position, you need to go down in weight. The other test is to hold your hand out, palm up, and have some one hold the ball just above it, almost touching it. They will let go and your hand should not be forced down more than a fraction of an inch.

If there’s any way that I could show you a video of me bowling well then that’ll be great. Well I have my spare ball in a sarge easter grip which fits really comfortable and my Snap Lock is a traditional fingertip grip
    There is a thread on this forum abouthow to post a video. A view from the rear with the camera foucused on your bowling shoulder, and one from the side that shows your full approach are needed.

One other thing, if you are practicing by yourself on a single lane, your Snap Lock may be burning up the line you are playing. This may account for some of the third game drop.
    John

Quote Originally Posted by J Anderson View Post
    Around here $25/hour for coaching would be a 50% off sale. At 150 pounds and assuming average height, I would think you should be able to use a 15 pound ball. There are two ways of gauging if you can handle a given weight ball. One is to hold the ball, arm hanging straight down at your side, and try to cup your wrist for at least 10 seconds. If you can’t easily hold that position, you need to go down in weight. The other test is to hold your hand out, palm up, and have some one hold the ball just above it, almost touching it. They will let go and your hand should not be forced down more than a fraction of an inch.

There is a thread on this forum abouthow to post a video. A view from the rear with the camera foucused on your bowling shoulder, and one from the side that shows your full approach are needed.

One other thing, if you are practicing by yourself on a single lane, your Snap Lock may be burning up the line you are playing. This may account for some of the third game drop.
    Yeah I’ll figure out tomorrow how to post a video. Btw I should’ve added that I’m 5’8 in height. That third game btw I did feel my arm/wrist feeling fatigue. I ended up using 2 hands to finish the game... I’ll try those tips out tomorrow when I go bowling. it’s pretty late here atm.

Thank you though for the tips. I honestly really appreciate it!!!