Thread: drilling question

High Roller
    Chats: 0

Default drilling question

So today threw one of the 'extra' balls i got last week. its a Hammer Spike. its 'supposed' to be drilled for s righty. the pin is just above the ring finger (for a righty) and the small hammer imprint is centered between the finger and thumb holes but slightly off to the right of the holes. not sure what the hammer log is? does that indicate the weight block or something? Anyway, threw it today and the thumbhole was pretty tight (just barely) so didn't put it all the way in. everything else about the grip felt good so tonight i got a drill bit and slightly enlarged the backside of the thumbhole (the thumbnail side).

My question is 1) both fingers seem to be the same distance from the thumb measuring with my tape measure 2) now the pin is just above my ring finger 3) the small hammer logo is still slightly to the right of the line from my ring finger to my thumbhole. Can anything be implied by this other than the fact that i am too cheap to get it done right? lol. i plan to have them fit me up Tuesday night for one of my other balls and get it redrilled. my plan is to use these 2 balls the rest of this year then buy a brand new one for next season.

throwing the spike today i was getting a ton of speed and a bunch of revs. i normally throw about 15.8-16.7MPH with the Storm Sync 16 lb ball that is left handed but not drilled for me. today i was throwing this 15lb Spike almost 18MPH and i was trying to slow it down. it was riding a pretty straight line down the first arrow then broke hard right right before the pins. for the Spike supposed to be more for drier lanes this ball played long and with a big backend. the lanes had more oil than they have lately on league night. i have only been back at it for 3 weeks and have yet to get any oil back on my ball. today i was getting a nice oil track. the track was about 1" to the right of the thumbhole where i remember my old ball being 15 years ago.

thoughts? why is this ball rolling so nice for me if it is a righty? if i am happy with it any reason to get it redrilled for me? Will ask the PSO tuesday and will ask about getting the Absolut Curve plugged and drilled for me too (unless i am extremely happy with this one). i still need to glue the grips in this ball so will get glue tomorrow. Super Glue Gel? Any thoughts on slowing this ball down? Do i need to? if it is reacting as it should and i am comfortable do i need to slow it down?

Bowling Guru
    Chats: 13

How can the pin be just above the ring finger for a righty, and als just above your middle finger?
    John

Yes, it indicates the weight block or something. Hopefully you have a good PSO, cause you seriously need lots of help... and someone to explain bowling balls to you.

Super Moderator
    Blog Entries
    Chats: 554

Quote Originally Posted by boatman37 View Post
    So today threw one of the 'extra' balls i got last week. its a Hammer Spike. its 'supposed' to be drilled for s righty. the pin is just above the ring finger (for a righty) and the small hammer imprint is centered between the finger and thumb holes but slightly off to the right of the holes. not sure what the hammer log is? does that indicate the weight block or something?
    That's a pretty standard layout for a righty.

The Pin locates the top of the core, The little hammer logo is the Center of Gravity (CG).

My question is 1) both fingers seem to be the same distance from the thumb measuring with my tape measure 2) now the pin is just above my ring finger 3) the small hammer logo is still slightly to the right of the line from my ring finger to my thumbhole.
    If your a lefty then the pin is over your middle finger not "your" ring finger.

Right handed Stroker, high track ,about 13 degree axis tilt. PAP is located 5 9/16” over 1 3/4” up.Speed ave. about 14 mph at the pins. Medium rev’s.High Game 300, High series 798

"Talent without training is nothing." Luke Skywalker

High Roller

oops. sorry about that. the pin is just above my middle finger (lefty).

the last ball i had drilled was about 1990. my old PSO would just measure my hand in the fitting ball and drill it. no mention of CG or pins or anything so not sure what he did. my average when i quit 15 years ago was 193 but right now just trying to get my form back. i am pretty inconsistent right now. when i bowled years ago my strength was my spares. i would go a whole series with maybe 1 or 2 opens all night. now i'm leaving about 10 opens a night but that will get better. its only been 3 weeks since my return.

all this PAP and CG talk is all new to me. i bowled from about 1980 till about 2002 and never heard these mentioned...lol. but then again we didn't have Google and youtube, or forums like this to learn this stuff. the new PSO has mentioned this stuff so he seems to know his stuff. my last ball was a Brunswick Cobalt Rhino. that ball had a smooth arc the whole way down the lane. the Storm Sync i'm using now rolls pretty straight until the end of the oil then breaks hard right, same as the Spike does.

Bowler

if you are going to have multiple balls drilled, Ramflex (inside the AMF in Mt Lebo) and Dufs (inside the Brunswick in West Mifflin) will probably work a deal with you. Duf is a Hammer rep so he will know his stuff. I have nothing but good things to say about Ramflex. The driller is a PBA bowler as are his two sons that work there. i got 5 balls done a couple years a go and they gave me a break on the price. I think I paid $30 per ball for plug and redrill and tips. extra $30 for them "rejuvenate" the used balls thereafter

High Roller

Sounds like a pretty good deal. I will see what my PSO says tomorrow night. As of now I am only planning to get one redrilled for myself and my step-son that you met will probably get one redrilled too. My son may at some point too but with him working 2 jobs and having a girlfriend I doubt he will be in a hurry to do anything bowling related. He wasn't there yesterday because he had to go out to dinner with his girlfriends family...lol.