Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Spare balls

Bowling Guru
    Chats: 13

Quote Originally Posted by Phonetek View Post
    I doubt I would put any side weight on a spare ball if anything a tad of reverse side weight. From what people say on here about modern balls side weight is rather irrelevant because the cores are going to make the ball react the way they are meant to.
    While the Mix is a ball that is currently produced. it does not have a modern core. Finger, thumb, and side weight are all all the driller can play with.
    John

Pin Crusher
    Chats: 0

Pitch black, that's urethane I assume? What is the finish you have on it?
    It is mostly dull but shines from all the oil it has picked up going cross alley at the 10. Factory finish.

Quote Originally Posted by fordman1 View Post
    It is mostly dull but shines from all the oil it has picked up going cross alley at the 10. Factory finish.
    Whoa whoa whoa wait a minute here. This may be better for a different thread but I'm sure this has been around for a bit so it's likely old news. I just looked up that Pitch Black on Bowlingballs.com to check it out and under the specifications for this ball it said "Fragrance" it listed none. I know that urethane has a distinct smell especially when you sand or scuff it but something tells me that's not what they are talking about. Are you telling me they make balls with particular scents like all these candle wax cubes my wife buys? Why in all things that are holy would such a thing even exist? I know I've bowled with some guys with some serious BO problems but I doubt a "April Fresh" bowling ball would help that. Might as well stick a Bounce dryer sheet in your bowling towel when you wipe the ball. LOL Wow, of all the gimmicks..... have ball sales really gotten so bad to where they had to do this? Some bowling shirts that smell like banana for all the sweaty gorillas out there I can see, even scented odor eaters for shoes but bowling balls seriously? It's hilarious!

Super Moderator
    Blog Entries
    Chats: 554

Are you telling me they make balls with particular scents like all these candle wax cubes my wife buys?
    Yes that's a Storm/Roto marketing gimmick, they've been doing it for about 18 years now. Use the forum search function, it's a horse that's been beat to death, there's several threads about it and making fun of it.
    Last edited by bowl1820; 01-29-2018 at 06:22 PM.

Right handed Stroker, high track ,about 13 degree axis tilt. PAP is located 5 9/16” over 1 3/4” up.Speed ave. about 14 mph at the pins. Medium rev’s.High Game 300, High series 798

"Talent without training is nothing." Luke Skywalker

My apologies, it just caught me off guard. I've been all over this forum and haven't seen mention as of yet. I guess next time I'll search first before posting about it. Back to our regularly scheduled programming regarding spare balls.

SandBagger

I use the typical pancake block polyester. I get way too much hook with urethane.
    Averages: Right (THS):215 | Left (THS):175 | Sport:166 |High Game:300 | High Series:815
    Arsenal: Storm Tropical Storm, 900 Black Ops, Motiv Tank

Chats: 1

I've used both, I had an old Manhattan Urethane that I started using as a spare ball. If I got a bit slow with my speed, it would hook. The polyester is much more forgiving, if I throw it slower, or hit up on it, it usually doesn't affect the ball motion that much.
    Style: Power Stroker/Tweener - 16.5 - 17.5 mph, PAP 4 1/2 x 0

In the bags:
    Retooled with 15 lb equipment.

In the Bag: Radical Ludicrous, 900Global Honey Badger Claw, 900Global Honey Badger, DV8 spareball

In the Bullpen : Radical Quick Fix, Radical Katana

The archives: Ebonite Grey Wolf (first 300), Red Wolf (first 700). Just can't let them go.

I am a proud member of Bowlingboards.com bowling Forums

I have two balls for the purpose. A Columbia White Dot and a Storm Natural Pearl. The Storm is urethane with a decent core in it. During league play with fresh oil it doesn't move much when going for end shots. If the lanes are dry, the Storm can move well enough to be a strike ball and then the White Dot gets used for end shots.

The Natural Pearl is out of production as far as I know, I lucked into it in the used rack at the local pro shop. It's been great. I picked up all six ten pins I had to roll at last night, so clearly if I do my part it does its.

Bowler

Quote Originally Posted by J Anderson View Post
    My coaching mentor, Ron Hatfield, would say that every bowler should have a polyester ball with a pancake weight block to use on spares.

Personally, I use a Storm Mix that I bought before meeting Ron. I have gone from using an old conventional grip rubber ball (1975-2008), a Hammer Black Widow (part of 2009, almost impossible to throw straight), Columbia 300 White Dot (2009-2010) to the Mix. The White Dot worked fine but started chipping around the finger holes, and the advise from the pro shop as well as from several other bowlers was that it was not worth fixing, just get a new one. Figuring that urethane would be less brittle I went with the Mix.

The down side of the mix is that even when you think you've released it perfectly straight, it will hook a bit. As djp 1080 said, this can give you a little extra miss room to the outside. On the other hand, it takes some away to the inside.
    this is my spare ball http://www.gebhardtsbowling.com/bowl...r-bowling-ball

any idea if "High Density Bullet Core" is the same as a pancake block?

https://www.bowlingball.com/products...free-sack.html

is that indicated anywhere? I am just trying to make sure I can identify because I am helping a couple people in my league get their first balls / first spare balls
    Last edited by mattmc82; 02-02-2018 at 10:17 AM.

Bowling Guru
    Chats: 13

Quote Originally Posted by mattmc82 View Post
    this is my spare ball http://www.gebhardtsbowling.com/bowl...r-bowling-ball

any idea if "High Density Bullet Core" is the same as a pancake block?

https://www.bowlingball.com/products...free-sack.html

is that indicated anywhere? I am just trying to make sure I can identify because I am helping a couple people in my league get their first balls / first spare balls
    I am pretty sure it is. Not nearly as popular as T-Zones or White Dots as a spare ball, but I do know a few people who use it.
    John

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12