Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Spare balls

Chats: 0

Default Spare balls

If you had a choice between a highly polished urethane ball or a polyester (plastic) ball which would you choose and why? Considering neither would hook much would what would the real difference be besides price?

I've been using the Storm Mix urethane ball for quite a while. I originally began using my old Brunswick Black Beauty 16 lb. ball as my spare ball when I came back to bowling again. A couple of years later I thought I'd try a lighter ball and bought a White Dot. Used it for a season or so and decided that it somehow didn't feel right. Also, noticed that it was getting a bit scratched up. Then I bought a Storm urethane ball without a weight block, just the pancake. I've used it for years now and it's held up much better. Tended to like it as it hugged the edge of the lane a little bit and kept it out of the ditch on 10 pins every now and then.
    Just recently I bought a 14 lb. Mix and asked the PSO to add a half oz. of side weight on the left to help keep the ball straighter. It did exactly what I was hoping for. This ball is jet black, shiny, straight and plan to use it for years to come. I'll not use it on any surfaces that I'm not familiar with or on wood lanes. It should last as long as I'm still able to bowl. Done buying spare balls... Now the only thing I'll have to do is perhaps polish it up every now and then and change out the finger grips, too...

Where are there wood lanes here in the Chicago burbs, you're south burbs right? I'd love to shoot on real wood again and take my kid to show him the difference. When I get this move done in Feb I'll be in the west burbs very close to Fox Bowl, Wheaton and Lisle lanes. I don't know about Wheaton or Lisle but Fox is synthetic.

Bowling Guru
    Chats: 13

Quote Originally Posted by Phonetek View Post
    If you had a choice between a highly polished urethane ball or a polyester (plastic) ball which would you choose and why? Considering neither would hook much would what would the real difference be besides price?
    My coaching mentor, Ron Hatfield, would say that every bowler should have a polyester ball with a pancake weight block to use on spares.

Personally, I use a Storm Mix that I bought before meeting Ron. I have gone from using an old conventional grip rubber ball (1975-2008), a Hammer Black Widow (part of 2009, almost impossible to throw straight), Columbia 300 White Dot (2009-2010) to the Mix. The White Dot worked fine but started chipping around the finger holes, and the advise from the pro shop as well as from several other bowlers was that it was not worth fixing, just get a new one. Figuring that urethane would be less brittle I went with the Mix.

The down side of the mix is that even when you think you've released it perfectly straight, it will hook a bit. As djp 1080 said, this can give you a little extra miss room to the outside. On the other hand, it takes some away to the inside.
    John

Chats: 32

Depends mostly on style. Urethane will hold up better but if you tend to be lower speed or rev dominate Urethane will hook more than plastic. I can hook a plastic ball all over the lane so trying to shoot spares with urethane is out for me.
    I am a proud member of Bowlingboards.com bowling forums and ball contest winner

Current arsenal

900 Global Badger Claw - Radical Ridiculous Pearl - Spare Ball Ebonite T Zone

Wheaton Bowl is half and half. Their lanes are quite old. The back half is wood. It scratches up things more quickly than well oiled synthetic lanes.
    Regarding going straight with urethane it made a heck of a difference with the bit of side weight on the left side. Rather than drilling it up with the CG in the middle of the grip. The CG is just offset to the left side of the grip center. Worked out very well.

Ringer
    Blog Entries
    Chats: 1

Depends on the bowler. High Rev bowlers should definitely use polyester because of the motion they will be able to create with the urethane ball. I personally have gone back and forth and seemed to have settled on polyester. The reasoning for me is that the urethane ball does not give me enough useful variety (the motion is obviously different than other reactive equipment, but I rarely find the instance where it makes the most sense) vs. the consistency of the polyester piece (especially when playing extremely short sport shots).
    Currently in the arsenal: Roto Grip Hyper Cell (@2000), Hammer Gauntlet Fury (@1000 polished), Roto Grip Idol (@2000), Storm IQ Tour Emerald (@1500 polished), Storm Phaze 4 (@1500 polished), Hammer Cherry Vibe (@1500 polished), Hammer Black Widow Urethane (@1000), Jet Blackbird

Quote Originally Posted by Amyers View Post
    Depends mostly on style. Urethane will hold up better but if you tend to be lower speed or rev dominate Urethane will hook more than plastic. I can hook a plastic ball all over the lane so trying to shoot spares with urethane is out for me.
    I am on the higher end of the spectrum with ball speed. As far as revs I can go either way, my "normal" release isn't a buzz saw but if need be I can slow it down and crank it up or flatten out my wrist which is what I do on spares. I don't know if I'd flatten it out enough to use a freshly sanded soft urethane to not take a left turn though. A polished one, I'm not so sure.

Quote Originally Posted by djp1080 View Post
    Wheaton Bowl is half and half. Their lanes are quite old. The back half is wood. It scratches up things more quickly than well oiled synthetic lanes.
    Regarding going straight with urethane it made a heck of a difference with the bit of side weight on the left side. Rather than drilling it up with the CG in the middle of the grip. The CG is just offset to the left side of the grip center. Worked out very well.
    I doubt I would put any side weight on a spare ball if anything a tad of reverse side weight. From what people say on here about modern balls side weight is rather irrelevant because the cores are going to make the ball react the way they are meant to. That said, I'm not going to claim I fully understand that yet. Then again, they may just be talking about reactive resin balls. I don't know if urethane or plastic has changed that much over the past decade.

Wheaton bowl 1/2 and 1/2 huh? I can honestly say I've never shot on that. They were either wood or synthetic never both. I'm going to live very close to Wheaton so I'll definitely check them out just because. Fox will be my lanes of choice for my new house because they offer sports leagues unless I find better money somewhere else.

Pin Crusher

I use a pitch black for the 6-10 and 10 only. Just flatten out my wrist and go right at them. Everything else I use my strike ball. Sports and PBA leagues just seem to mess up your timing and at my age and with my knees I don't need anything new to think about.

Quote Originally Posted by fordman1 View Post
    I use a pitch black for the 6-10 and 10 only. Just flatten out my wrist and go right at them. Everything else I use my strike ball. Sports and PBA leagues just seem to mess up your timing and at my age and with my knees I don't need anything new to think about.
    Pitch black, that's urethane I assume? What is the finish you have on it?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast