Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Best Storm balls for the following:

Super Moderator
    Blog Entries
    Chats: 554

Quote Originally Posted by RobLV1 View Post
    The fact that you are indicating a layout as 5 x 4 x 3 says that you have a lot to learn. Take a look at the Dual Angle System to begin to understand what layouts can do, or can't do as the case may be.
    There's nothing wrong with using a Storm Pin Buffer layout, for every dual angle there's a matching pin buffer layout. Dual angle is just easier to map out on the ball.

5X4X3 is a 50°x5x45° dual angle layout
    Last edited by bowl1820; 01-31-2018 at 05:21 PM.

Right handed Stroker, high track ,about 13 degree axis tilt. PAP is located 5 9/16” over 1 3/4” up.Speed ave. about 14 mph at the pins. Medium rev’s.High Game 300, High series 798

"Talent without training is nothing." Luke Skywalker

Chats: 0

Quote Originally Posted by bowl1820 View Post
    There's nothing wrong with using a Storm Pin Buffer layout, for every dual angle there's a matching pin buffer layout. Dual angle is just easier to map out on the ball.

5X4X3 is a 50°x5x45° dual angle layout
    Thank you bowl1820
    Hammer Purple Urethane. Storm Surge Hybrid, Storm Pitch Purple, Roto Grip Hyper Cell.
    2 Storm Surge Pearl 4x4x2 and a no flare, ,Roto Grip Hot Cell, Roto Grip Haywire.
    2020/2021, Hi Average 219, Hi Game 289, Hi Series 771, 30 Clean 4, 700 Series 16.
    2021/2022, Hi Average 211, Hi Game 256 Hi Series 693, 30 Clean 0, 700 Series 0.
    Proud member of Bowlingboards.com Since 2013.

Chats: 0

She throws 15# equipment.

Chats: 2

In that case, if it were me, I would buy the original Hyroad, perhaps most popular ball ever for a reason, then after using it, decide what kind of second ball I wanted, more or less length etc. Never had the Hyroad, wish I had tried one while still at 14 lbs

Nonsense! All the layout does is position the core within the ball. The numbers will change some, but you cannot turn a sows ear into a silk purse, as the saying goes. The fact that you are indicating a layout as 5 x 4 x 3 says that you have a lot to learn. Take a look at the Dual Angle System to begin to understand what layouts can do, or can't do as the case may be.
    Well, being that I primarily throw storm equipment, I've used the Vector system for awhile now. Don't get me wrong, I understand dual angle, but I prefer to lay my own stuff out using vector.
    • Current Arsenal: Storm Timeless, Storm Phaze II, Storm Pitch Black, Storm Drive, Rotogrip Hot Cell, Rotogrip Show Off, DV8 Turmoil Pearl
    • High Game: 300 (3 11 in a row) / High Series: 799
    • Current Average: 202 / PAP: 5" over, 1/8" up
    • Rev Rate: 425rpm / 2-Hands

My comment had less to do with the system used, and more to do with the philosophy of using layouts to change what a ball was intended to do. I wrote an article for BTM a couple of years ago entitled "Making the Case for Limited Layouts." The jist of the article is that with all the hundreds and hundreds of balls available today, that there is really no reason to use more than one or two layouts that are proven successful for you to try and make a ball do something other than what it was designed to do. The idea is that if you use one or two layouts and learn about core numbers, it's easy to make additions to your arsenal and change bowling balls mid-game, with a plan rather than to see what they are going to do. Once you start using different layouts to alter ball reactions, your ball changes and arsenal additions become a crap shoot. I know that a lot of bowlers disagree, but the philosophy that I have is shared by many professional bowlers including, most notably, Pete Weber.

My comment had less to do with the system used, and more to do with the philosophy of using layouts to change what a ball was intended to do. I wrote an article for BTM a couple of years ago entitled "Making the Case for Limited Layouts." The jist of the article is that with all the hundreds and hundreds of balls available today, that there is really no reason to use more than one or two layouts that are proven successful for you to try and make a ball do something other than what it was designed to do. The idea is that if you use one or two layouts and learn about core numbers, it's easy to make additions to your arsenal and change bowling balls mid-game, with a plan rather than to see what they are going to do. Once you start using different layouts to alter ball reactions, your ball changes and arsenal additions become a crap shoot. I know that a lot of bowlers disagree, but the philosophy that I have is shared by many professional bowlers including, most notably, Pete Weber.
    Oh, I get where you are coming from. Pretty much everything I have in my arsenal is close to the same layout (5 x 4 x 3 on most). I mainly play with cores and surface. But, I still believe in the suggestions that I threw out.
    • Current Arsenal: Storm Timeless, Storm Phaze II, Storm Pitch Black, Storm Drive, Rotogrip Hot Cell, Rotogrip Show Off, DV8 Turmoil Pearl
    • High Game: 300 (3 11 in a row) / High Series: 799
    • Current Average: 202 / PAP: 5" over, 1/8" up
    • Rev Rate: 425rpm / 2-Hands

Quote Originally Posted by chip82901 View Post
    Oh, I get where you are coming from. Pretty much everything I have in my arsenal is close to the same layout (5 x 4 x 3 on most). I mainly play with cores and surface. But, I still believe in the suggestions that I threw out.
    And I still believe that balls with a low RG under 2.50 for a low speed, low rev player will lose way too much energy. I guess we'll just have to agree to disagree.

Super Moderator

Blog Entries
    Chats: 1305

I personally use 2 layouts on almost everything unless it's going to be condition specific and a Ball I may not throw a lot. I have one layout I like for asymmetric balls and one for symmetrical. My changes come in the form of balls and surface.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12