Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: How snug?

Chats: 0

That's your call. If your bowling alley has a pro shop in it, it doesn't hurt to stop in and have it checked out. Personally that's what I'd do because your issues may not be limited to just your thumb. It sounds like you have a lot of doubts with your grip. Your PSO (pro shop owner) will be able to tell in a couple minutes and recommend what you need to do. Better safe than sorry. However in the meantime you can play with tape and experiment with the fit yourself. Just make sure when you remove the tape that the adhesive is cleaned out of your hole or it could have very undesirable results. As I mentioned I use 3M electrical tape but bowlers tape is better and probably leaves less adhesive that I was talking about. Rubbing alcohol will remove the adhesive on a paper towel pretty quick. Goof off or zippo fluid also work but they leave a residue in the hole that you don't want so I don't recommend it.

One more thing.... Even if you get your thumb refitted if that's what you do. Be aware that your thumb size can change before, during and after bowling. Sometimes it will shrink and sometimes swell a little or a lot. It completely depends on the person on what your thumb does. That's why bowlers tape is your friend, you can add it or take it out as your grip changes.

Quote Originally Posted by Phonetek View Post
    One more thing.... Even if you get your thumb refitted if that's what you do. Be aware that your thumb size can change before, during and after bowling. Sometimes it will shrink and sometimes swell a little or a lot. It completely depends on the person on what your thumb does. That's why bowlers tape is your friend, you can add it or take it out as your grip changes.
    I believe I will take the tape route to begin with and see how that goes because my thumb definitely swells as I get into about my third game. The PSO is the one who set me up in the beginning and did the drilling. My span seems good to where the edge of my finger holes line up between the first and second joints on my middle and ring fingers, maybe just a little closer to the first joint but I'll see how it goes with the tape. Thanks.

Best of luck to you. Feel free to give an update so we know how things worked out for you. Take care

Quote Originally Posted by Phonetek View Post
    Best of luck to you. Feel free to give an update so we know how things worked out for you. Take care
    Thanks I will, probably will bowl later this week, love it!

Going bowling today and was wondering what is a good thumb tape on the market?

Super Moderator
    Blog Entries
    Chats: 554

Quote Originally Posted by yetigreg View Post
    Their all different in someway, there's tape that goes in the hole and on your thumb itself So it's a matter of personal preference. Now your proshop won't necessarily stock them all. So if you don't like what they have you'll have to go somewhere else or shop online.

I use Powerhouse premium white tape a lot, But also some Real Bowler Tape brand.

Right handed Stroker, high track ,about 13 degree axis tilt. PAP is located 5 9/16” over 1 3/4” up.Speed ave. about 14 mph at the pins. Medium rev’s.High Game 300, High series 798

"Talent without training is nothing." Luke Skywalker

Yup thanks, I'll see what the pro shop has specifically to put on my thumb instead of in the thumb hole.

Chats: 256

I use the Vise Hada blue tape on my thumb. I use white textured tape inside the thumb hole. I mainly use on pad side in thumbhole, but sometimes use on back side of hole as well depending on swelling etc.
    High Sanctioned Scratch Game - 300(12) Hi Sanctioned Scratch Series - 822(3)
    2016/17 Book Average=221, 2017/18 Composite Average=223
    Equipment in the bag - Storm Crux Prime, Storm Physix, Roto Grip Idol, Roto Grip Idol Pearl, Roto Grip Hyper Cell Fused, Storm Sure Lock, Storm Drive, Roto Grip Winner Solid, Roto Grip Haywire, Storm Fever Pitch, Roto Grip Red ball spare.

Rev Rate 400. Speed 18 at heads, 16.5-17 at pins. Axis tilt 10, Axis Rotation 55. PAP 5 5/8 x 5/8 up

Cranker

Quote Originally Posted by yetigreg View Post
    I can't bowl without protective thumb tape. I used quite a few brands and my favorite one is the Motiv Flex tape. I really like the thickness of it. I have a friend who's thumb was swelling and he was using powder to try and get out of the ball. I gave him the tape to try and he loved it. He was hesitant at first because tape seems counter-intuitive when your thumb is swollen and sticking but the tape does reduce friction to give you a new release. Also it helps to snug up the hole too which helps your hand relax.

http://www.motivbowling.com/products...t-release.html

As for the fit tape that goes into the thumb hole, I find most brands are pretty comparable.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast