Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: How snug?

Chats: 0

Default How snug?

Hello everyone, I'm a new bowler just into it for about a month and I think that my thumb hole may be to big, not much but there are times when the ball comes off my hand way to soon. I've been working on my approach with a good straight back swing and trying to keep square to the pins with my shoulders and not leaning to much forward as I release. The other thing that I'm having a lot of trouble with is creating any kind of revs at all no matter how many video's I watch and articles I read I just can't seem to figure it out. One thing for sure is that I almost never follow through after my release bringing my hand up... it's like I'm shooting the ball on the lane. ugh! I think I read somewhere that you could hold your ball with not even having your fingers in the ball, just your thumb, is this true. Please help a 58 year old landscaper be a better bowler. Thanks.

There are people that bowl without the thumb in the ball by cupping it in their palm using only their finger tips in the ball. I've never seen it the other way around with only a thumb. If your ball is drilled for your hand and your thumb is a little loose then you can use tape in it to snug it up. They sell bowlers tape with different textures and such and it does the trick. I personally just use 3M electrical tape but bowling tape is wider and is rounded either on one side or both. As far as revs it depends on a great many things with your approach and release. Plus if your ball is drilled conventional (where your middle and ring finger go into the ball to the second knuckle) or fingertip (where your middle and ring finger go into the ball to the last crease by your finger tips). In order to really help, more information is needed and or a video of you bowling which would be a great help.

Hey Phonetek, thanks for your reply. What I meant by holding on to the ball and just let it hang off your thumb or you could basically stick your thumb in your ball and pick it up off the ground. I have a finger tip drilled ball it's the ball you see as my avatar, I like the ball I just want to be able to use it as intended lol. My thought was getting some tape and see if that will help. I do a 5 step approach and am left handed, will try to have my wife video me next time we go bowling... from the back and also from the side.

I'm having a bit of trouble trying to visualize what you mean with the thumb however here is a video that may help and get the grip you are looking for on the ball. I hope this helps.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wdmcS2luEf0

Super Moderator
    Blog Entries
    Chats: 554

Thumb fit is a very personal thing, The general rule (of thumb) is that a thumb inserted in and out of a hole, pressed to one side of the hole, should only barely touch the other side.

You should have your grip checked, span & pitches can affect how the ball comes off your thumb/hand also. You should also have a oval hole (if you don't have one now), very few bowlers need a actual round hole.

Right handed Stroker, high track ,about 13 degree axis tilt. PAP is located 5 9/16” over 1 3/4” up.Speed ave. about 14 mph at the pins. Medium rev’s.High Game 300, High series 798

"Talent without training is nothing." Luke Skywalker

Yup did the test and could probably use some tape in the thumb hole. Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by bowl1820 View Post
    Thumb fit is a very personal thing, The general rule (of thumb) is that a thumb inserted in and out of a hole, pressed to one side of the hole, should only barely touch the other side.

You should have your grip checked, span & pitches can affect how the ball comes off your thumb/hand also. You should also have a oval hole (if you don't have one now), very few bowlers need a actual round hole.
    I have a round hole for the thumb and when I put my thumb in I can wiggle it at least a 1/4 inch at the tip of my thumb. Question can I get it changed to an oval?

Cranker

I find beginners usually get the thumb hole way to big because they transition from house balls which they had to squeeze and grip hard. Which then when they get properly fitted with their own ball, they feel their thumbs stick because of the squeezing. The thumbs should be fairly snug because you want to be able to hold onto the ball with a relaxed hand as possible.

If you want to change to an oval, the PSO can insert a thumb slug and drill it out as an oval. Cheaper and faster than plugging it and redrilling.

Super Moderator
    Blog Entries
    Chats: 554

Quote Originally Posted by yetigreg View Post
    I have a round hole for the thumb and when I put my thumb in I can wiggle it at least a 1/4 inch at the tip of my thumb. Question can I get it changed to an oval?
    Sure it can be changed,

It can be plugged or slugged and redrilled with a oval, another option if the PSO can't drill a oval is a oval insert.

Right handed Stroker, high track ,about 13 degree axis tilt. PAP is located 5 9/16” over 1 3/4” up.Speed ave. about 14 mph at the pins. Medium rev’s.High Game 300, High series 798

"Talent without training is nothing." Luke Skywalker

Alright thank you all for your help, should I just go ahead and get it changed to an oval or experiment with tape right now?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast