Thread: Bought a new ball

High Roller
    Chats: 0

Default Bought a new ball

Well 4 weeks into my return after a 15 year break I bit the bullet. The reason I quit 15 years ago was an elbow injury. Any strenuous physical activity leaves my elbow and shoulder sore for days. Started out my first week back using a teammates 16lb right handed ball. Rolled a 510. Better than I expected but had a 193 average when I quit. 2nd week picked up a 16lb Storm Sync off a fellow left handed bowler. Rolled a 244 my first game with it but followed that up with a 124...lol. Finished with a 544 or something like that. Last week rolled a 476 and realized this Sync is really irritating me. The holes are slightly too big and the span too small. I am constantly squeezing the ball to hold onto it. Tonight used a Hammer Spike that I picked up but it is also drilled for a righty. Rolled decent but couldn't hit my marks (been a constant issue). Rolled a 145, 142, and 146. Hey, at least I'm consistent. Went to talk to the PSO and see about getting an Absolut Curve redrilled for me. He talked me into buying a Black Widow Gold instead...lol. So next week I should be rolling my new ball. Wish me luck!

Chats: 32

Good Luck. Haven't seen that one roll much not a huge hammer area
    I am a proud member of Bowlingboards.com bowling forums and ball contest winner

Current arsenal

900 Global Badger Claw - Radical Ridiculous Pearl - Spare Ball Ebonite T Zone

The Black Widow will be a hard hitting ball from what I know about it. Then again, a lot of balls are hard hitting these days. It will definitely give you a lot of hook if that's what you're looking for.

You and me are kind of in the same boat, as I took 20 years off and you 15. It will be interesting to compare journeys on the road back. Maybe we could start a thread about people getting back into it after many years off for support and what not.

I myself have been struggling of late, but have moments of brilliance which keeps me motivated to push on.

Quote Originally Posted by Eddy View Post
    The Black Widow will be a hard hitting ball from what I know about it. Then again, a lot of balls are hard hitting these days. It will definitely give you a lot of hook if that's what you're looking for.

You and me are kind of in the same boat, as I took 20 years off and you 15. It will be interesting to compare journeys on the road back. Maybe we could start a thread about people getting back into it after many years off for support and what not.

I myself have been struggling of late, but have moments of brilliance which keeps me motivated to push on.
    I'm at 10yrs off, so what's the cutoff Eddie? Did I make it? =)

Quote Originally Posted by Phonetek View Post
    I'm at 10yrs off, so what's the cutoff Eddie? Did I make it? =)
    Yeah, that sounds long enough to me.

YAY! I'm in "The In Crowd!" So go ahead and start the thread. Your idea, you get the honors. =)

High Roller

Got the new Black Widow Gold tonight. I like it but I am still struggling. The ball was consistent but the lane conditions weren't good. Threw 5 practice frames when I got there and had 5 pocket hits. 2 splits then 3 strikes. Lanes were very dry but hit the pocket almost every shot. Throwing first arrow like I usually do was creating too much angle at the pins and leaving 7's. Moved anywhere from first arrow to just inside the 2nd arrow. Was able to hit the pocket consistently no matter where I stood or threw but both teams were leaving 7's, 10's and getting splits all night. My spares suck. Forget 7's with this ball. I was able to pick it up twice with this ball but every time the ball would start hooking right before the pin and miss to the inside. The 2 times I made it I had to ride the gutter about 3/4 of the way down and hang it on the edge. Threw it about 16.0 to 17.4 MPH all night. Hoping for a little more oil next week. No oil track on my ball at all. Didn't see any on any balls tonight. Overall the ball is pretty easy to control and consistent.

Only rolled a 509 tonight (173, 183, 153). Struggled with spares and had about 4 or 5 splits. There were a bunch of splits on our lanes tonight from both teams. Pocket hits were leaving splits or 7s or 10's all night. Ball was consistent

Drilling:
    Ball is drilled pin just above ring finger. CG is just below the finger holes and the MB is about 1" to the left of the thumb hole (drilled for a lefty)
    Last edited by boatman37; 02-06-2018 at 11:25 PM.