Thread: ^5's and fist bumps

Chats: 0

Default ^5's and fist bumps

So not only am I teaching my 13yr old son about lane etiquette but also team etiquette. I told him after your teammate gets a mark it's custom to give a ^5 to acknowledge them. It shows support for your team and keeps morale positive. I also said that if they have an unfortunate frame that it's typical to solemnly bump fists to help them shake it off. At the end of the match you shake hands with your opponent and say "Good Game".

He tells me that when he was in baseball, basketball and soccer they did the fist bump as a congratulatory thing like a high five. I asked him then what do you do if something didn't work out for them? He just said they do or say nothing. I know I've been out of it 10yrs but that's not being very supportive for your team member. So if not the fist bump for them to shake it off I'm curious just what does everyone do now a days? What do you do to show support to your team members for good and bad?

Super Moderator
    Blog Entries
    Chats: 554

HIGH FIVE!, fist bump who gets one?
    http://www.bowlingboards.com/threads...-who-gets-one?

High Five! - They Might Be Giants

Right handed Stroker, high track ,about 13 degree axis tilt. PAP is located 5 9/16” over 1 3/4” up.Speed ave. about 14 mph at the pins. Medium rev’s.High Game 300, High series 798

"Talent without training is nothing." Luke Skywalker

Pin Crusher

You should do what ever you are comfortable with. Just acknowledge their shot. A head nod, fist bump, high five or just an atta boy or good shot. If they miss same thing only shake it off. It isn't a big deal.

High Roller

I high 5 and fist bump for a 'better luck next time' but have heard that some don't like shaking hands or high 5'ing because of germophobia or whatever. In my mind either is ok if you are acknowledging their success or providing support when they have a bad shot. We have one guy that doesn't like any fist bumps or anything when he has a bad shot. He says it doesn't deserve recognition. I'm fine with that too.

Thanks, I know questions like this post may seem a little silly. However if my son cares enough to ask these questions, as his coach I should care enough to get him an answer no matter what. I still stand by the high 5 and fist bump myself but it never hurts to get others input which I will be sure to convey to him.

Chats: 10

I do all the high fives and bumps and all. But what I can’t stand is when they give different forces with them. Sounds lame, but when someone gives you a regular old high five and then after gives a harder one. I know they may more excited before but just like some consistency. Lol
    In my bag: Roto Grip UFO, Roto Grip Hyper Cell Fused and Roto Grip Hustle hyb

League High Series: 745 (12/23/19) High Game: 300 (11/23/15)

Proud member of BowlingBoards.com

How about "The Zipper"? Anyone do that anymore? It was my teammates favorite thing to do to the opposing anchor man to put a hex on him in the 10th during a close one. LOL I never quite got that one and I was waiting for him catch himself in his zipper. I don't know that it ever worked but boy he loved doing it. What a goof and a blast to bowl with.

SandBagger

I personally don't care for high fives, fist bumps, or the age old "shake it off" but I will do it if teammates want to. I have no problem cheering for a good shot, expressing disappointment in an unlucky break, or giving tips to a teammate (or taking the same from them).
    Averages: Right (THS):215 | Left (THS):175 | Sport:166 |High Game:300 | High Series:815
    Arsenal: Storm Tropical Storm, 900 Black Ops, Motiv Tank

Nothing wrong with a little fist bump. Encouragement is always welcome.