Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What do you do to get out of a funk?

Chats: 10

Default What do you do to get out of a funk?

Last two weeks, during 6 league nights, I have bowled below average. My timing is off. I roll the ball of my shoe, I hit the side of my leg, I’ll roll it right into the gutter, can’t hit my mark, my speed varies, I’ll over rotate my hand during my release, nothing feels right. I finally had time to go into practice today, but Lane was dry andcontinued to struggle.

What do you do when you struggle? It’s been getting to the point I’m not looking towards Bowling. HELP!
    In my bag: Roto Grip UFO, Roto Grip Hyper Cell Fused and Roto Grip Hustle hyb

League High Series: 745 (12/23/19) High Game: 300 (11/23/15)

Proud member of BowlingBoards.com

Pin Crusher
    Chats: 0

Quote Originally Posted by Blomer View Post
    Last two weeks, during 6 league nights, I have bowled below average. My timing is off. I roll the ball of my shoe, I hit the side of my leg, I’ll roll it right into the gutter, can’t hit my mark, my speed varies, I’ll over rotate my hand during my release, nothing feels right. I finally had time to go into practice today, but Lane was dry andcontinued to struggle.

What do you do when you struggle? It’s been getting to the point I’m not looking towards Bowling. HELP!
    I started a few weeks back, when I seemed mired in the high 5, low 600's, with concentrating on my first step. My brother had noticed that my first step was either 6" long, or a foot. No in-between. I started making a point of making sure that first step was consistent. I can't really say that's what started my upswing, but I've been better since.
    Old guy with power (15.5-16; 325). Current arsenal--Storm Summit, RotoGrip Idol Helios, Storm Phaze III, Storm SureLock (retired), Storm IQ Tour Nano and Motiv Rebel tank (spare/dry). High sanctioned game - 300 (4). High sanctioned series - 856. A.V. 300-s - 8. Longest string - 25.
    2023/2024 YTD highs--High game-289; high series-739

Quote Originally Posted by Blomer View Post
    Sometimes you just gotta go back to the basics. See if you can get someone to take a video for you. Take it home and watch yourself, maybe you can point out what and when things are going wrong. Post it on here, and I'm sure you can get some help with a fresh set of eyes too. I'm sure you'll get back in sync. Best of luck

Probably you should try a game or two of one step drills making sure that you post your shot. If things work well doing that, then test your timing. Start randomly as far as distance away from the foul line and start walking toward the line. Get your ball into a swing when you feel like you should and let it go. That should get you to start feeling your timing again. Hopefully you'll not hit your leg or throw it directly into the gutter. Keep your hand behind the ball. Try a few more one step drills and then try a few regular releases. Hopefully you'll be back in business pretty quickly.
    Good luck...

SandBagger

I look at slumps as part of getting my average. When I began the year averaging 225 for six weeks I didn't stop to think what was wrong with me because I had six weeks of not bowling average. The same happens when I turn around and have six sub par weeks to balance it out. I get hot, I get cold. It can be anything from changing weather, not enough sleep, something causes me to lose focus, I just forgot something I was doing the previous week, etc. Three weeks ago I shot 755. Last week I shot 517. It balances out.
    Averages: Right (THS):215 | Left (THS):175 | Sport:166 |High Game:300 | High Series:815
    Arsenal: Storm Tropical Storm, 900 Black Ops, Motiv Tank

Chats: 256

As was said by Phonetek, get back to basics. Get a good practice session in where you work on your timing, shot making and spare shooting. I use video to help, if you have an app like Hudl Technique, you can record and view your video in slow motion. Helps to determine issues with footwork and also with your swing plane.
    High Sanctioned Scratch Game - 300(12) Hi Sanctioned Scratch Series - 822(3)
    2016/17 Book Average=221, 2017/18 Composite Average=223
    Equipment in the bag - Storm Crux Prime, Storm Physix, Roto Grip Idol, Roto Grip Idol Pearl, Roto Grip Hyper Cell Fused, Storm Sure Lock, Storm Drive, Roto Grip Winner Solid, Roto Grip Haywire, Storm Fever Pitch, Roto Grip Red ball spare.

Rev Rate 400. Speed 18 at heads, 16.5-17 at pins. Axis tilt 10, Axis Rotation 55. PAP 5 5/8 x 5/8 up

Chats: 1

When I slump, the easiest way for me to get out of it is to just work on spares during practice. Once I'm able to get into that repetitive groove throwing at the 7 or 10 pin, it feels like it just yanks my game back into place.
    Style: Power Stroker/Tweener - 16.5 - 17.5 mph, PAP 4 1/2 x 0

In the bags:
    Retooled with 15 lb equipment.

In the Bag: Radical Ludicrous, 900Global Honey Badger Claw, 900Global Honey Badger, DV8 spareball

In the Bullpen : Radical Quick Fix, Radical Katana

The archives: Ebonite Grey Wolf (first 300), Red Wolf (first 700). Just can't let them go.

I am a proud member of Bowlingboards.com bowling Forums

I have a second Captain Morgan and coke. It perks me up every time.
    Arsenal: Raw Hammer Orange/Black Hybrid 14lbs, Blue Hammer urethane 14lbs, Columbia 300 Lava Ball Plastic 14lbs, Highest scratch series 710 Bowling 38 years Never hit that 300 game. Highest game 276, had 11 strikes and one spare in the middle of that game.

Chats: 10

Well since I wrote original post, I continued to struggle. I went in Wednesday to practice to work, and the lanes were dry so that didn't help, as well as worn out from work. I had league today and shot below average by 30 pins. Missed a 7 pin spare and 10 pin spare and continued to leave 3 opens per game. But during the second game, I realized that I have been muscling the ball down the lane instead of letting the ball work itself. I started to hit the pocket more. A few times I have pulled the ball, thats probably the biggest issue besides letting the ball work. I generally have a short and low back swing to avoid missing my mark. Have league again tomorrow and Tuesday and will work on these two things. I also need to get a ball to work on drier lanes, thinking the Hustle. I also am learning how to throw my Fused Cell. I have the pin kicked out, very strong ball. Once I get it done, Im sure it will help.
    In my bag: Roto Grip UFO, Roto Grip Hyper Cell Fused and Roto Grip Hustle hyb

League High Series: 745 (12/23/19) High Game: 300 (11/23/15)

Proud member of BowlingBoards.com

High Roller

hmmmm....sounds exactly like me. and i was 25 below my average every game last week.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast