Thread: Ball recommendations

Default Ball recommendations

Hello!

I haven't posted much here, so I'll start at the beginning. When I was a kid, I was a fairly high average bowler (many 600 and 700 series, can't give an actual number to my average though). I had to quit due to shoulder injury at 17. Fast forward to two summers ago, I decided to get back into it, the shoulder is healed enough (I'll be 35 in March). I dropped ball weight from 16 to 14, got myself an Ebonite Cyclone and joined a no-tap league, the perfect place to figure out my technique again. I've been in a league ever since, watching my average climb steadily. A couple weeks ago I rolled my first 600 series as an adult, which made me very happy.

One problem, it was during a pre-bowling session because I couldn't make my normal Thursday commitment. The lanes were a little drier than they usually are during league play, and I was getting a ton of motion out of that Cyclone. I haven't seen carry like that in a LONG time in my game.

Basically, I want a good recommendation on a ball that will perform like that during my league. I don't have a clue as to what pattern the lane uses, the league is just an amateur mixed gender handicap deal. Everyone makes "high performance" balls, what's "the" one right now?. The Cyclone is fantastic for what its price point is and honestly was the right ball to re-enter the sport with, something more aggressive would've been a steeper learning curve. Now, I feel I'm ready to move up. I'll still keep the Cyclone in my bag, because obviously there are times when it will shine.

Thoughts? I physically can't move up to 15lb, the shoulder will never be 100% but it's good enough to have fun in a rec league... so if upping weight is part of a recommendation please pass on that.

Thanks!
    Last edited by BlueTrane2028; 02-02-2018 at 10:35 AM.

Chats: 32

There is nothing wrong with throwing 14 lbs. The cyclone is actually pretty aggressive for a entry level ball. Recommendations depends a little on what you want if you want a little more backend reaction I might consider something like a hypercell fused or daredevil by rotogrip. If I wanted just an overall more aggressive ball I'm seeing good results from the Brunswick Magnitude 55.
    I am a proud member of Bowlingboards.com bowling forums and ball contest winner

Current arsenal

900 Global Badger Claw - Radical Ridiculous Pearl - Spare Ball Ebonite T Zone

I mention weight because in my youth the mantra from everyone I heard was "if you weigh 160 or more, you roll 16lbs, anything less will kill your carry."

I think I'm looking for more backend than early at this time, but both can have their benefits. I should probably also do a resurface on the Cyclone.