Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Who's in the West Burbs

Chats: 0

Default Who's in the West Burbs

I'm brand new to the West Suburbs. When I used to bowl out here as a kid it was at Lombard Lanes but they are gone. I didn't see that coming. I've shot over at Fox Bowl so far and it seem like a nice house and they have sports leagues. I've been inside Wheaton Bowl which was like stepping into Peebody & Sherman's "Way Back Machine" but I didn't bowl there. I would though, I just went past figured I'd check it out.

There are several houses very close within about 15-20 minutes. Right now after 10yrs I'm back to it. I'm not on a league because it's past mid season and I'd rather start fresh. Plus I need to put together a fresh arsenal because what I have is junk. Normally I don't do summer leagues but I might just to get back into it full swing. Anyone around here? I wouldn't mind having a practice partner or possibly shoot in a doubles tourney or some low level pot games for the fun of it. I know nobody around here and I'd rather not get slapped on a random team. Although that can work out well, I'd prefer to join with people I know. It's only Feb so there is plenty of time. Chime in if your interested.

SandBagger

I'm so far in the west suburbs that it's actually quiet, peaceful, and low traffic around here. That means that I'm actually not in the west suburbs.
    Averages: Right (THS):215 | Left (THS):175 | Sport:166 |High Game:300 | High Series:815
    Arsenal: Storm Tropical Storm, 900 Black Ops, Motiv Tank

LOL Yeah then you are "Far West Burbs" No traffic around here means it only takes 10 minutes to pull out of my subdivision

That also probably means to come here to bowl with me would be too long of a drive

SandBagger

I live 40 minutes from the West suburbs, actually. I consider ten minutes a long way to get to a bowling alley because I live 2 minutes away from one center and 5 minutes away from the next.
    Averages: Right (THS):215 | Left (THS):175 | Sport:166 |High Game:300 | High Series:815
    Arsenal: Storm Tropical Storm, 900 Black Ops, Motiv Tank

Yeah that's a definite NO then for you coming east. LOL Who knows, once I get hot and heavy in the tournaments I may end up out by you at some point. Once I get things rolling I plan on hitting every tournament I can find like I did in the old days. I used to travel all over the place. When I was 14 I bowled in Maine, New York and Niagra Falls for different youth tournaments. When I got older I went to the ABC's in Vegas once and another in Florida but I don't remember what it was called. So although I have several houses very close to home, 40 minutes to your lanes wouldn't phase me.

I wish there was more of you guys local within a reasonable travel distance. I'd love to put together a "Bowlingboards event" It would be a breeze for me to do where I work. Bowling would be cheap as heck and a great way to get to know each other outside of the board. Unfortunately everyone is so wide spread on here. I see there are quite a few from the boards past who were from around here but they haven't been on in a long time, some many years.

I try to spread the word about this site but not dealing with many serious bowlers it's hard to get new people. If more members could spread the word to their fellow league bowlers or team mates maybe one day we could get some events together in each state. Maybe even have a state little competition? That's a heck of a stretch and probably not very realistic but it would be cool. My guess is we have about 50 regulars on the site and that's probably a high number but a guy can dream can't he? I wish I was around when this site was at it's peak of popularity. It's ashamed it's not like it was back in the day.

Super Moderator
    Blog Entries
    Chats: 554

Quote Originally Posted by Phonetek View Post
    I wish there was more of you guys local within a reasonable travel distance. I'd love to put together a "Bowlingboards event" It would be a breeze for me to do where I work. Bowling would be cheap as heck and a great way to get to know each other outside of the board. Unfortunately everyone is so wide spread on here. I see there are quite a few from the boards past who were from around here but they haven't been on in a long time, some many years.

I try to spread the word about this site but not dealing with many serious bowlers it's hard to get new people. If more members could spread the word to their fellow league bowlers or team mates maybe one day we could get some events together in each state. Maybe even have a state little competition? That's a heck of a stretch and probably not very realistic but it would be cool. My guess is we have about 50 regulars on the site and that's probably a high number but a guy can dream can't he? I wish I was around when this site was at it's peak of popularity. It's ashamed it's not like it was back in the day.
    It's peak of popularity wasn't that much different than it is now.

We also had two "Bowlingboards events" They were called the "The florida mini-gathering" since most of the users of the site were from Florida. The site was called BBAM (Bowling Balls and More) then it changed a little later.

The Mini was Named After the larger annual multi forum 2-3 day event called "The Gathering" at Ron Cliftons Creekside Lanes in Winston-Salem, NC. which happened for 6-7 years.

Right handed Stroker, high track ,about 13 degree axis tilt. PAP is located 5 9/16” over 1 3/4” up.Speed ave. about 14 mph at the pins. Medium rev’s.High Game 300, High series 798

"Talent without training is nothing." Luke Skywalker

Quote Originally Posted by bowl1820 View Post
    It's peak of popularity wasn't that much different than it is now.

We also had two "Bowlingboards events" They were called the "The florida mini-gathering" since most of the users of the site were from Florida. The site was called BBAM (Bowling Balls and More) then it changed a little later.

The Mini was Named After the larger annual multi forum 2-3 day event called "The Gathering" at Ron Cliftons Creekside Lanes in Winston-Salem, NC. which happened for 6-7 years.
    That is a surprise that back in the day it was similar to now. I see where it says there was 387 members online in 2014 so I figure that was it's hayday. Must have just been more bots then. LOL

That's awesome that there was events like that. I know first hand how difficult it is to put them together. I did an even with my FB groups a couple years back. They are specific muscle car enthusiast groups. I had a huge turnout. I rented all the pavilions at a state park where I used to live and we had a car show, parts swap meet, bbq, live music and a 200 mile cruise afterward. It was a weekend event and everyone had a blast. I had people come from a dozen different states for it, very cool.

That was easy though. I had over 10k members in my groups at the time. You tell a bunch of gear heads about a car show and swap meet with food, music and a cruise and they will come out of the wood work. My groups are still running on FB and still successful but I had to walk away and hand the reigns over to my co-admins. They took over my life. It's a long story but lets just say I did the right thing. This is a different community than gear heads but I'm sure it's every bit as fun.

Super Moderator
    Blog Entries
    Chats: 554

Quote Originally Posted by Phonetek View Post
    That is a surprise that back in the day it was similar to now. I see where it says there was 387 members online in 2014 so I figure that was it's hayday. Must have just been more bots then. LOL
    Yes the majority of those are bots, spiders, crawlers from search engines and spammers.

Right handed Stroker, high track ,about 13 degree axis tilt. PAP is located 5 9/16” over 1 3/4” up.Speed ave. about 14 mph at the pins. Medium rev’s.High Game 300, High series 798

"Talent without training is nothing." Luke Skywalker

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast