Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Weight Change Recommendations?

Default Weight Change Recommendations?

Hey everyone I’m back! So back to it... I’ve been debating on a bowling ball weight change... Currently I have a Snap Lock 15 lbs and I’ve been looking to get a Quantum Black. I’m not sure if I should stick with a 15 or just go with a 14.. Will I have a better pin carry? More speed? My bowling form is off, I’m no pro and there aren’t really any coaches in my area and my pro shop is no help. I do have issues reading the lane (THS) and mostly get Brooklyn’s than hitting the pocket and I try to loft the Snap Lock but the ball seems to drop right on the foul line. I just genuinely love this sport and hope to play in the leagues hopefully later this year. On a good day I score 160-180 on a bad 110-130. Any suggestions?

I’m 22, 5’8, slim, 149 lbs, right handed bowler.

Bowling Guru
    Chats: 13

Quote Originally Posted by larossho View Post
    Hey everyone I’m back! So back to it... I’ve been debating on a bowling ball weight change... Currently I have a Snap Lock 15 lbs and I’ve been looking to get a Quantum Black. I’m not sure if I should stick with a 15 or just go with a 14.. Will I have a better pin carry? More speed? My bowling form is off, I’m no pro and there aren’t really any coaches in my area and my pro shop is no help. I do have issues reading the lane (THS) and mostly get Brooklyn’s than hitting the pocket and I try to loft the Snap Lock but the ball seems to drop right on the foul line. I just genuinely love this sport and hope to play in the leagues hopefully later this year. On a good day I score 160-180 on a bad 110-130. Any suggestions?

I’m 22, 5’8, slim, 149 lbs, right handed bowler.
    If I recall correctly from one of your previous posts, you have a 14# spare ball and another 14 that you used to use two-handed. I would suggest going with 14 lbs so you’re not changing weight on spare shots.

The down side to using a ball that is too light for you is not lack of pin carry. Modern bowling balls with reactive resin coverstocks carry quite well in lighter weights. The real risk is that you will get in the habit of “throwing” the ball instead of letting it swing. Without seeing you bowl, there is no way of judging if this will be a problem for you.

P.s. I’m 5’8”, 162 lbs, and have been using 15lb balls since I was 16 years old and weighed about 120lbs.
    Last edited by J Anderson; 02-05-2018 at 08:40 AM.
    John

Chats: 32

Ball weight won't fix any of these problems for you. You should limit yourself to one weight and it's distinctly possible the snap lock is to much ball for the conditions your bowling on. I would suggest getting something with a consistent roll until your game improves
    I am a proud member of Bowlingboards.com bowling forums and ball contest winner

Current arsenal

900 Global Badger Claw - Radical Ridiculous Pearl - Spare Ball Ebonite T Zone

Quote Originally Posted by J Anderson View Post
    If I recall correctly from one of your previous posts, you have a 14# spare ball and another 14 that you used to use two-handed. I would suggest going with 14 lbs so you’re not changing weight on spare shots.

The down side to using a ball that is too light for you is not lack of pin carry. Modern bowling balls with reactive resin coverstocks carry quite well in lighter weights. The real risk is that you will get in the habit of “throwing” the ball instead of letting it swing. Without seeing you bowl, there is no way of judging if this will be a problem for you.

P.s. I’m 5’8”, 162 lbs, and have been using 15lb balls since I was 16 years old and weighed about 120lbs.

Woah!

What type of bowling ball would you reccomend for a consistent roll?

Quote Originally Posted by Amyers View Post
    Ball weight won't fix any of these problems for you. You should limit yourself to one weight and it's distinctly possible the snap lock is to much ball for the conditions your bowling on. I would suggest getting something with a consistent roll until your game improves

Chats: 32

Quote Originally Posted by larossho View Post
    Brunswick Magnitude 35 or 55, Vintage Danger Zone. Storm Torrent, Hyroad or event a Matchup. The Black Quantam isn't a bad ball I own one but at least for me it's temperamental at times lol. Middle of the road balls from any brand really avoid the expensive stuff and the heavy oilers
    I am a proud member of Bowlingboards.com bowling forums and ball contest winner

Current arsenal

900 Global Badger Claw - Radical Ridiculous Pearl - Spare Ball Ebonite T Zone

Quote Originally Posted by Amyers View Post
    Brunswick Magnitude 35 or 55, Vintage Danger Zone. Storm Torrent, Hyroad or event a Matchup. The Black Quantam isn't a bad ball I own one but at least for me it's temperamental at times lol. Middle of the road balls from any brand really avoid the expensive stuff and the heavy oilers
    Thank you. I’ll definitely take a look at those!

magnitude is a great choice and u can get them for under a hundred online

Quote Originally Posted by larry mc View Post
    magnitude is a great choice and u can get them for under a hundred online
    I’ll definitely look into it!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast