Thread: Increasing Rev Rate

Default Increasing Rev Rate

Hey! So recently I've been training with a coach to improve my mechanics, and it's going some-what well, even though the scores aren't there yet.

When I started off bowling, I did the typical, off-the-top release that created minimal hook to the ball, and just dropped it onto the lane, rather than going into the lane.

So that's the contrast, my release now is my hand is behind the ball at the point of release, the thumb comes out and my fingers attack the ball using my entire hand to create rotation on it, this created a much smoother release for me! And I believe I'm seeing improvement in my rev rate.

However, my release isn't set in stone yet. I'm not very consistent with it yet, muscle memory and all that.

I just wondered, if there are any good drills that work towards maintaining a higher rev rate. I'd love to throw the ball somewhere in the 300's, at some point!

And also, any good videos on this subject is appreciated as well. I tried looking at some, but it's pretty controversial and people have their own opinions on the matter.

With all that being said, any general knowledge would be greatly appreciated as well. Such as where my hand should be at the point of release, when does my thumb come out of the ball? (I've heard the quicker the thumb comes out, the better. The more momentum will be generated for your hand and fingers to torque that baby!) Hand positions, and all that.

Like I said I am currently doing a few lessons here and there. I just decided to post this primarily if there are drills to get my fingers comfortable hooking the ball, in hopes of strengthening them to maintain a higher rev rate at some point.

On top of all this, I believe the amount of hook applied to a bowling ball doesn't rely on the speed of an approach, simply because I see some great bowlers, walk pretty slow, probably not even their full speed honestly, and torque that ball with probably far over 500 rev's per minute!

The motion of their hand is truly terrific, and I can't understand how they can do that o_o

Thank you very much for reading this!

I see you have some serious misconceptions about modern bowling. First, your hands and finger don't "torque that baby." The core of the ball has built in hook, and the more you try to hook it, the less it will hook. You don't throw the ball, you roll it, and unlike the old days, your timing should not be late, it should be leverage (neutral) timing. The idea is to get the thumb out first, and keep the fingers in the ball for as long as possible as you rotate through the ball rather than around it.

Since you are working with a coach (smart idea), I would suggest that you communicate your desire to increase your rev rate to him/her. Some of the advice that is offered up here and other bowling discussion sites can get you seriously screwed up.

Good Luck!

Rob Mautner
    Last edited by RobLV1; 02-05-2018 at 02:37 PM. Reason: Add sig line

Chats: 0

Hey RobLV1 can you elaborate more on how to rotate through the ball and not around it. I too am having a time with putting any revs on the ball and what you also said about not throwing the ball and rolling it has also been one of my problems. Hope I did not hijack this thread.

Quote Originally Posted by yetigreg View Post
    Hey RobLV1 can you elaborate more on how to rotate through the ball and not around it. I too am having a time with putting any revs on the ball and what you also said about not throwing the ball and rolling it has also been one of my problems. Hope I did not hijack this thread.
    The best way to explain it, is to show you. Find one of the old U Tube videos of Mark Roth bowling against Marshall Holman. I believe Holman was really the first modern bowler. Note that Roth has very late timing. He plants his left foot at the line with the ball well behind him, then pulls the ball from behind him as he throws it. Holman, on the other hand, uses neutral timing as he pushes through the ball. Watch Holman and compare him with some of the modern players who you want to emulate. I hope this helps.

I really like Marshall Holman's release. I'm going bowling tomorrow so will see what happens, thanks.

Well went bowling today and emulated Marshall Holman's approach and release.... strike the very first throw and it actually had revs on the ball with a hook omg! Highest score was 175 out of 6 games the rest averaged around 150. It feels very comfortable to me with this approach and release and it also has slowed me down which was I think one of my biggest problems. Thanks so much RobLV1!!! Oh I forgot to mention the 1 turkey and 4 strikes in a row.

Glad I could help.

Hey, so I just wanted to ask another question.

Would you say it's totally possible for a lower-rev player, in which my revs are probably defined somewhere in the 200's, to improve to 300 rpm's or more??

How difficult would it honestly be to improve revs for somebody in my range? Does physical strength have anything to do with it??

Thanks

Chats: 32

Quote Originally Posted by BowlerGuy1500 View Post
    Hey, so I just wanted to ask another question.

Would you say it's totally possible for a lower-rev player, in which my revs are probably defined somewhere in the 200's, to improve to 300 rpm's or more??

How difficult would it honestly be to improve revs for somebody in my range? Does physical strength have anything to do with it??

Thanks
    It can be done it's much easier for someone in the 200s to go to the 300s than it is to go to 300 to 400. It's about technique more than strength. It's something you really need a good coach to work on with though.
    I am a proud member of Bowlingboards.com bowling forums and ball contest winner

Current arsenal

900 Global Badger Claw - Radical Ridiculous Pearl - Spare Ball Ebonite T Zone

Chats: 1

Once you learn something new, it does take a while for it to gel. I had a lesson with Teata Semiz, and it really wasn't a full out coaching session. He was drilling balls, and watching me through the pro shop window. He would then come out and show me what I should be working on. He basically tweaked my stance, and my pushaway. Both felt strange, but when it clicked I averaged over 210 for the last 8 weeks of the season. That was after 3 weeks of practicing what I learned before league.
    Style: Power Stroker/Tweener - 16.5 - 17.5 mph, PAP 4 1/2 x 0

In the bags:
    Retooled with 15 lb equipment.

In the Bag: Radical Ludicrous, 900Global Honey Badger Claw, 900Global Honey Badger, DV8 spareball

In the Bullpen : Radical Quick Fix, Radical Katana

The archives: Ebonite Grey Wolf (first 300), Red Wolf (first 700). Just can't let them go.

I am a proud member of Bowlingboards.com bowling Forums