Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Seeking advice for overreacting ball

Chats: 32

Well with your ball speed something like a sure lock is out. The lower surface grit will help with reducing the backend but I figure that will bring back your roll out problems.

Something like a high road or match pearl should work for you. I'm thinking the problem maybe more where your playing from getting the ball out to 2-3 boards is pretty dry. Have you tried playing 13-15 at the arrows with the break point more in the 7-9 area?

Hopefully this would keep the ball more in the oil and avoid ball just turning left. If the ball doesn't turn increase surface or turns to early do to higher grit

Quote Originally Posted by Amyers View Post
    Well with your ball speed something like a sure lock is out. The lower surface grit will help with reducing the backend but I figure that will bring back your roll out problems.

Something like a high road or match pearl should work for you. I'm thinking the problem maybe more where your playing from getting the ball out to 2-3 boards is pretty dry. Have you tried playing 13-15 at the arrows with the break point more in the 7-9 area?

Hopefully this would keep the ball more in the oil and avoid ball just turning left. If the ball doesn't turn increase surface or turns to early do to higher grit
    This might be a good approach. I've tried it, and the ball doesn't over-hook. The main reasons I haven't really pursued this are: (1) in order to hit my slide far enough to the right on the approach, I have to walk parallel to the gutters but face to the left and throw the ball out to the left: this is a little challenging for me since I've always been "old school" and walked towards my target; and (2) I've always felt that, as a lefty, I shouldn't have to play the middle of the lane, and should be trying to stay outside if possible. But maybe it's time for fresh thinking.

High Roller
    Chats: 0

Not sure how much I can help but being a lefty it sounds like you are playing a similar line to me. I stand with my left toe on the 3rd dot from the left and throw over the first arrow for normal conditions. Usually about mid-way through the 2nd game that dries up so I start moving in closer to the 2nd arrow and sometimes on the 2nd arrow. I just got a new Hammer Black Widow Gold tonight and it was biting really hard on the backend. I ended up putting my left toe on the center dot and throwing over the 2nd arrow. Anything outside of the 2nd arrow and I was leaving solid 7's, I assume because my angle into the pins was too sharp. And I was throwing just over 17 MPH according to the lane sensors. I am not a hi-rev bowler, maybe 300 or so RPM but that ids just a guess. I will have to check that some day.

Not sure if it helps but yes, as a lefty I usually end up moving in by the end of the first game to get back into some oil.

Bowler

Quote Originally Posted by SaxTheSlayer View Post
    There are a number of people who throw the ball straight. There aren't too many lefties, but given I'm not playing parallel to the gutter (I can't since it hooks too much), I do have to deal with oil carrydown from other bowler.

I have tried moving further right on the approach. When I do that, the ball often doesn't come back, and I leave ugly washouts.

And I use a 15-pound ball.
    Ok so I am thinking ball adjustment. How are the balls drilled? Pin up pin down?

Chats: 32

Quote Originally Posted by SaxTheSlayer View Post
    This might be a good approach. I've tried it, and the ball doesn't over-hook. The main reasons I haven't really pursued this are: (1) in order to hit my slide far enough to the right on the approach, I have to walk parallel to the gutters but face to the left and throw the ball out to the left: this is a little challenging for me since I've always been "old school" and walked towards my target; and (2) I've always felt that, as a lefty, I shouldn't have to play the middle of the lane, and should be trying to stay outside if possible. But maybe it's time for fresh thinking.
    Your right most lefties don't have to play that way but you have to adjust to what your capable of doing and what the lanes will give you. if that means you have to line up more like a righty then so be it. Do what works the nice thing about it is you really shouldn't have anyone on your line lol.
    I am a proud member of Bowlingboards.com bowling forums and ball contest winner

Current arsenal

900 Global Badger Claw - Radical Ridiculous Pearl - Spare Ball Ebonite T Zone

Quote Originally Posted by boatman37 View Post
    Not sure how much I can help but being a lefty it sounds like you are playing a similar line to me. I stand with my left toe on the 3rd dot from the left and throw over the first arrow for normal conditions. Usually about mid-way through the 2nd game that dries up so I start moving in closer to the 2nd arrow and sometimes on the 2nd arrow. I just got a new Hammer Black Widow Gold tonight and it was biting really hard on the backend. I ended up putting my left toe on the center dot and throwing over the 2nd arrow. Anything outside of the 2nd arrow and I was leaving solid 7's, I assume because my angle into the pins was too sharp. And I was throwing just over 17 MPH according to the lane sensors. I am not a hi-rev bowler, maybe 300 or so RPM but that ids just a guess. I will have to check that some day.

Not sure if it helps but yes, as a lefty I usually end up moving in by the end of the first game to get back into some oil.
    I start at the first row of dots, and typically place my right toe halfway between the two rightmost dots. I really can't move my starting point much farther right. However, I tend to walk towards my target, so I end up closer to the middle of the lane -- two boards left of center. Consequently, one thing I've tried doing is forcing myself to walk parallel to the gutter so I end up farther to the right at the foul line, but still throwing it out. It does give me more room, but I've never been successful at getting that line to work for me. It's definitely one of my options, though.

Quote Originally Posted by mattmc82 View Post
    Ok so I am thinking ball adjustment. How are the balls drilled? Pin up pin down?
    Pin up. I think most of my bowling balls have the pin about 1/2" above the ring finger.

So I bowled in two leagues this week, and had a 543 in my Wednesday league and a 602 in my Thursday league. I made a concerted effort to (a) stay farther to the right on the approach by walking parallel to the gutter instead of towards my target, and (b) tried to make sure I kept the ball out. As a result, I carried a lot of light pocket strikes, and when the ball grabbed, I got a solid strike or a slightly high strike.

With this approach, I only had two splits all night (a 4-6, and a 2-7 baby which I picked up). Surprisingly, I had NO washouts. On the rare occasion when if I missed left, the ball still hooked enough to come back and hit the head pin.

My only complaint about the evening is the easy spares I missed. That's just going to take time to fix.

High Roller

wow. i can't stand that far right but i went out Friday and recorded myself. i was standing with my left heel 1 or 2 boards left of the 3rd dot from left and throwing over the 7 board (just inside the first arrow). this was working good but i did notice that i drift right on my approach so my right foot is actually at about the 3rd dot from the right when i release.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12