Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: I have a plan and set goals, choices need to be made to set it in motion

Chats: 0

Here is what I come up with. I decided on 4 balls instead of 3. 1 heavy oil , 2 mid range and of course dry/spare

Heavy oil - Hammer - Rip'd (least used)
    Mid range #1 - Roto Grip - Hustle Hybrid
    Mid range #2 - Columbia 300 - Nitrous
    Dry/Spare - Orig Black Hammer - High polish since I have it already

I'm trying to cover the bases in general, I just need a starting point. Would these be good choices to start with then do surface changes from there?

Chats: 32

Quote Originally Posted by Phonetek View Post
    Here is what I come up with. I decided on 4 balls instead of 3. 1 heavy oil , 2 mid range and of course dry/spare

Heavy oil - Hammer - Rip'd (least used)
    Mid range #1 - Roto Grip - Hustle Hybrid
    Mid range #2 - Columbia 300 - Nitrous
    Dry/Spare - Orig Black Hammer - High polish since I have it already

I'm trying to cover the bases in general, I just need a starting point. Would these be good choices to start with then do surface changes from there?
    The Rip'd probably a good choice for flooded lanes only seen it once so far
    I'm not sure on the HYB. The Pow was dog food the Ink is great I'd wait for more consensus before purchasing the HYB I haven't seen a HYB yet
    I see no Columbia ever

The big flaw that I do see is HYB and the Nitrous are very much on the lighter end of the spectrum at least from the manufactures information. Looks like a huge gap from the Rip to either of those two balls.
    I am a proud member of Bowlingboards.com bowling forums and ball contest winner

Current arsenal

900 Global Badger Claw - Radical Ridiculous Pearl - Spare Ball Ebonite T Zone

Quote Originally Posted by Amyers View Post
    The Rip'd probably a good choice for flooded lanes only seen it once so far
    I'm not sure on the HYB. The Pow was dog food the Ink is great I'd wait for more consensus before purchasing the HYB I haven't seen a HYB yet
    I see no Columbia ever

The big flaw that I do see is HYB and the Nitrous are very much on the lighter end of the spectrum at least from the manufactures information. Looks like a huge gap from the Rip to either of those two balls.
    A gap huh?....crap this is not easy. Anyway, are you better off buying an aggressive ball and polishing it if it's too much or buying a less aggressive one and sanding it if it's not enough? I was looking at the Roto Grip Dare Devil Danger but figured it was overkill that's why I was looking at the HYB. I'm starting to get overwhelmed to be honest. There are too many choices. I know aggressive isn't the preferred term but neither is strong and weak.

To make it simple, what I'm looking for is a well rounded arsenal. I didn't really want to start out with 4 but I don't see any other way. I don't need the best of the best either. I'm only willing to buy one high end ball out of the 4 and that would be the Rip'd. The others, as long as I can make them work is all that matters. In the past my regular arsenal consisted of the Yellow Dot Legend, Blue Hammer and AMF RPM Swirl. Those days are gone though.
    Last edited by Phonetek; 02-13-2018 at 04:52 PM.

Phonetek, Rather than the Hustle HYB, you'd be better served by the Storm Hy-Road. It's been around for a long, long time and it can handle just about any condition you roll it on according to Bowling This Month. It's a hybrid cover like the Dare Devil Danger and the Rip'd. It's probably one of the best benchmark balls around.

I wasn't looking at the Storm line but it does look interesting too. I feel like that 90's band Bare naked ladies "If I had a million dollars" song. The price isn't all that much higher than the Hustle plus it's boysenberry, you can't go wrong with boysenberry. When you say "Benchmark balls" what do you mean? Is there a list that I can see these benchmarks?

A benchmark ball to me is one which you can use as a standard which you can get a good feel of the lanes as to which ball in your bag will do best. Perhaps it's the benchmark ball is best today.
    It's a ball you won't go wrong as the ball that is in the middle of your lineup. It's a hybrid where it's got a mix of the solid coverstock and the pearl coverstock. You get the best of both types of ball all wrapped up in one. It's won plenty of money for folks over the years.

I understand completely. At first I thought there yet more specs to learn LOL That's what I am looking for is a good all around ball or "1st out of the bag" as they say. If it's as versatile as you say then I can keep it to 3 choices. The AMF RPM Swirl was always that ball back then, that's why I got it. I still may pick up a plastic for grins. I know the PSO I was at stocks that Storm, I seen it on the wall tonight. Sadly I didn't think to sniff it.

I have two. The first one is 16 lbs. and I've had it several years now. The second one is 15 lbs. with a little different layout. Besides the aroma to me it looks how a bowling ball should look almost shiny black like my Black Beauty. Also, this ball has no filler. Coverstock and weight block. It should work well for years.

My 16lb Amf ball is at the pro shop as we speak with the plug hardening. Plus he fixed the thumb in my blue hammer. It's something for the meantime until I can start putting all this together. If this job goes through I'll start piecing it together. I'm gonna start with a bag and one ball. Bringing my bag into the pro shop tonight I about twisted my arm off pulling it. It tipped over while I was pulling it and flipped over. It's such a piece of crap. It's seen it's day.

Chats: 32

Personally I'd rather sand a polished ball than polish a sanded one myself. Don't buy 4 to start buy one middle of the road ball then decide on the others after you see what you need. Not all of these would I cinsider necessarily bench mark but probably middle of the bag at least.

Storm. Son!q. Hyroad, Torrent
    RotoGrip. Dare Devil or Dare Devil Trick Wrekem
    Hammer. Fierce Phobia, Dark Legend, BW gold

There are different shapes there decide if you want more of an earlier hook or more angular look then pick one out. All of these their are balls that are earlier hook or later so they are at least somewhere in the middle. Then fill out your arsenal from there.
    I am a proud member of Bowlingboards.com bowling forums and ball contest winner

Current arsenal

900 Global Badger Claw - Radical Ridiculous Pearl - Spare Ball Ebonite T Zone

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast