Thread: fingertip question

Ringer
    Chats: 0

Default fingertip question

as I have been advancing a bit with my bowling I had a question regarding fingertip grip versus conventional grip. I have heard before that a fingertip grip may not be ideal for someone who suffers from Arthritis. is anyone aware of the validity of this and offer any suggestions? I would like to get a new ball fairly soon.

Bowling Guru
    Chats: 13

Quote Originally Posted by bdpeters View Post
    as I have been advancing a bit with my bowling I had a question regarding fingertip grip versus conventional grip. I have heard before that a fingertip grip may not be ideal for someone who suffers from Arthritis. is anyone aware of the validity of this and offer any suggestions? I would like to get a new ball fairly soon.
    I have not heard this before, and not being a doctor, physical therapist, or pro shop operator, I can not say if it’s true or not.
    I would suggest going to the PSO with the best reputation for fitting customers. They will assess your flexibility and adjust your pitches accordingly.
    John

I got back into bowling almost 9 years ago and have used exclusively fingertip grip. What I found was that after several years of practicing and league bowling sparingly was causing me some discomfort at my fingertips. Especially at the last joint of my middle and ring fingers. The solution was to change from a zero pitch on the fingers to some reverse pitch which has solved the irritation completely.
    If I look at the difference of gripping ability of my fingers of my left and right hands, there is a definite viewable difference. My right hand fingers can't bend like those on my left hand anymore. You should likely discuss this topic with your local pro shop operator/owner. He should pay special attention to the flexibility of your fingers.
    While I was at it, I talked to my PSO about thumb hole pitches, too. I tried several variations as I had previously had a tendency of dropping my ball at times. Too many times. The thumb hole was reverse pitch (away from the palm of the hand) and so we tried a few moves forward (toward the palm) which led to my relaxing my hand much more. Less stress on the fingers and the thumb is a good thing.
    Hope this helps...

Ringer

thank you all for your help. sounds like finding a good PSO is the key.

Recently I have spoken to my local pro shop professional and he recommended anyone with arthritis to change their pitch. The topic came up because my son's pitch was drilled for someone similar to arthritis (he didn't drill the ball) as we were looking at my son's measurements for a new ball. If arthritis is something you are suffering from, I would definitely recommend going to your local pro shop and inquiring about a pitch that is right for you.

Pin Crusher

If you ever plan to get better you will need a finger tip ball. You are young to have arthritis. Is it in your shoulder, elbow, wrist or fingers? If you get it fitted correctly a 14 lb. ball shouldn't do much damage. I am not a DR. but I have to see them all the time. Old but Wise.

Ringer

thanks fordman and MRomero for the responses. next ball I get drilled I will definitely ask PSO about the pitch.

it is my fingers mostly that give me trouble but I have some hip and knee issues also according to my physician. and yes i am fairly young to have these issues (48).