Thread: Ball too aggressive(?) What now?

Default Ball too aggressive(?) What now?

Hey folks, looking for some advice here. I've been bowling seldom over the years as a recreational activity. I decided I wanted to get serious about it and get myself in a league within the next 6 months or so. Learning to hook the ball is something I've been working on and have been at the lanes almost every other day for two weeks throwing 8-16 games trying to get it down. I'm wildly inconsistent scoring anywhere from 116-234 with a 150 average. When deciding what ball to buy for this newfound journey I stupidly read reviews online and got what seemed like the best for my intentions instead of asking the pro shop what they'd recommend.

I got myself a 15lb Hammer Black Widow Legend. When I went to get it drilled the pro shop owner told me it's too aggressive of a ball for someone learning this throwing style but I might be able to make it work. I really like the ball, when it hits, it works well. Sometimes I feel like it might be too specialized for my current ability but I tell myself that I'll grow into it. My technique is obviously not polished and far from it but I'm wondering if I had to start over what people might recommend instead-- or maybe the Legend is fine and I just need to keep rolling it.

I typically roll 15.5-17mph with low revs. I start on the right and put what spin I can on it to make it roll slightly left toward the pocket. I have a lot of trouble getting the same reaction from this ball between rolls. I use an old Ebonite Gryo 1 as my spare ball as the Legend won't roll straight.

High Roller
    Chats: 0

My suggestion would be to get something with a consistent arc that starts early. These are usually the flat finish balls with no shine. The reason I say this is that they 'roll' more than the slick polished ball that slides and skids. My old Brunswick Cobalt Rhino would start hooking (more of arcing the whole way down) almost as soon as I let go. This was the ball I used from about 1990 to 2002 when I quit. Since my return 5 weeks ago I have used a Storm Sync, Hammer Spike, and Hammer Black Widow Gold. All have 'slid/skidded' down the lane and snapped hard at the end. Imagine skidding a car down the road compared to rolling it down the road. My teammates throw rollers (I have used the one and it rolls for me too). You will have less revs with a 'roller' but more accuracy. Until you get consistent I would stick with this type of ball. You may be able to sand the new ball up to make it grip more but I am not an expert in that field so don't take my word for it.

Also, you don't want to 'spin' the ball. Are you meaning you 'twist' or spin like a helicopter? The proper way to throw a hook is 1) have a properly drilled ball with a fingertip grip 2) release the ball with your hand behind the ball, thumb releasing first then fingers following through your release as they slip out of the ball. This is what gets the rotation going and gets the correct action started to get the ball to hook.

I am not a coach and not a very good teacher so see what others say but that is my advice.

I am a coach and a very good teacher, and I have but one bit of advice for you. Before you go and spend a couple of hundred dollars on a bowling ball, spend a hundred or so on two lessons from a qualified coach, spaced about two weeks apart, and learn how to bowl first.

Chats: 32

Have to say I agree with Rob here. Your speed is adequate you say you have a low rev rate it's not a ball problem it a knowing what to do with the ball problem. Practice helps but it needs to be directed at something. If it's at all possible find a qualified coach
    I am a proud member of Bowlingboards.com bowling forums and ball contest winner

Current arsenal

900 Global Badger Claw - Radical Ridiculous Pearl - Spare Ball Ebonite T Zone

Rolled another 40 games over the last week or so. I simply cannot get it. There is no sweet spot that I can consistently hit with my throwing style. I’ve watched a hundred technique videos and dedicate several games to one specific aspect of it. I almost just left the ball on the house rack after 20 games of a 125 average. I wish I could start all over with a 14lb Hy-Road or Cyclone but I don’t know if that’s the answer. Extremely frustrated.
    Last edited by Winecaster; 02-12-2018 at 03:54 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Winecaster View Post
    Rolled another 40 games over the last week or so. I simply cannot get it. There is no sweet spot that I can consistently hit with my throwing style. I’ve watched a hundred technique videos and dedicate several games to one specific aspect of it. I almost just left the ball on the house rack after 20 games of a 125 average. I wish I could start all over with a 14lb Hy-Road or Cyclone but I don’t know if that’s the answer. Extremely frustrated.

Watching technique videos is great and so is bowling a butt load of practice games. It's difficult mimicking what a video is trying to show you if you don't have a qualified person to help put those things into motion on the lanes. As the guys above suggested, it may be worth paying a local coach for a few lessons. Realize, getting good at this game does not happen over night. Learning the basic fundamentals with a coach would be a great place to start.

There really is no "Sweet Spot" as you say that you hit on the lane to be successful. Lanes change with each ball that rolls down them, no two lanes are exactly identical. What works on one may not work on another or even what works well at one bowling alley won't work at another. Adjustments are constantly needed for whatever lanes you bowl on. These are things you will learn with coaching and experience.

By the way, there is also no magic ball either. A ball is only one part of the equation. Don't leave it on the house rack just yet. A better ball don't make a better bowler. Yes, they can help improve your game not because it's better but because it's more appropriate for the lanes you bowl on and your personal style. Lastly, have someone take a video of you bowling. You can post it here and there are people who can assist. Watching it yourself can also help you identify things you are doing wrong that you didn't know you were until you see it.

Watching technique videos is great and so is bowling a butt load of practice games. It's difficult mimicking what a video is trying to show you if you don't have a qualified person to help put those things into motion on the lanes. As the guys above suggested, it may be worth paying a local coach for a few lessons. Realize, getting good at this game does not happen over night. Learning the basic fundamentals with a coach would be a great place to start.

There really is no "Sweet Spot" as you say that you hit on the lane to be successful. Lanes change with each ball that rolls down them, no two lanes are exactly identical. What works on one may not work on another or even what works well at one bowling alley won't work at another. Adjustments are constantly needed for whatever lanes you bowl on. These are things you will learn with coaching and experience.

By the way, there is also no magic ball either. A ball is only one part of the equation. Don't leave it on the house rack just yet. A better ball don't make a better bowler. Yes, they can help improve your game not because it's better but because it's more appropriate for the lanes you bowl on and your personal style. Lastly, have someone take a video of you bowling. You can post it here and there are people who can assist. Watching it yourself can also help you identify things you are doing wrong that you didn't know you were until you see it.

Cranker

I know the others suggested but a qualified coach will go a long way. You may think you are copying the videos correctly but the reality may be something else. I was around a 185 average when I went down to Kegel Center in Florida last year for a lesson and when I finally saw myself on video, I was horrified at my form. I watched all the videos online and thought I was doing everything correctly but I was completely wrong. My average is still about the same but I know my technique is stronger now and I have less bad games now.

There's nothing wrong with your ball, you would probably struggle with the Hy-Road or Cyclone as both balls also hook a lot. I mentioned this before Diana Zajalova won the USBC Queens throwing a Cyclone and that is a major tournament. Now if you are throwing 40 games a week, you're probably only reinforcing bad habits which will make learning proper form even harder. So if you aren't going to get a coach, at the very least bring a buddy and have them video you and see if you can find what you are doing wrong. You could also post the video here and we'll see if we can help you.