Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: The "I've been out of bowling for years, and I'm back!" thread

Ringer
    Chats: 0

I don't know if it really counts as a long time layoff since I have never before been into it heavily or competed too much. I bowled a bit in a league in the mid 80's. I did however spend alot of time at the lanes as a kid and teen from the mid 70s to the mid 80s. some fond memories I still have was the sights, sounds and smells watching my parents league bowl. I remember the smell and the cigarette smoke and the old score overhead projectors. I loved to watch the ball cleaning machine in action. a little later on my dad tended bar a bit at the ritz classic in salt lake city plus we would stop in when he had his yard care company and he would park me on a lane or give me a pocket full of quarters for the video games (Tempest and centepede) while the cafe folks would make me a nice big burger and a plate of curly fries. then bowl a couple of lines. played a few games here and there since then but have only recently become more interested in playing more and improving my game a bit and possibly join a league and tourneys.

Pin Crusher

Glad you are back BUT
    You forgot to bring the million of others who quit back with you.

Quote Originally Posted by EMyers View Post
    Last bowled in 2014, last game was a 230 that would've been better if my thumb plug didn't break in the 7th. Getting back into it after recovering from some pretty major ankle surgery, heading to the pro shop to get a quote on some new gear and shoes.
    Welcome back! This is an incredible forum to be a member of.

Ugh. Ever have one of those nights that you felt you were throwing good, but just couldn't score? Yeah, a big part of my 540 was missing easy spares. By throwing good I meant hitting the pocket. I did that many times, but left a bunch of 10 pins, 4 pins, 4-7 combo. you get the idea. But at least I was getting the ball "out" to give myself a chance. You see, I pull the ball a lot and go high or crossover way too much. So to stay on the right side of the head pin most of the time was a step in the right direction.

Also, I've moved more left on the approach which mentally forces me to "get the ball out there" better. I really do throw a beautiful looking ball, I just want more consistent results. I plan on practicing more, period. I'm tired of averaging 175 when I know I'm capable of much more.

High Roller

Quote Originally Posted by Eddy View Post
    Ugh. Ever have one of those nights that you felt you were throwing good, but just couldn't score? Yeah, a big part of my 540 was missing easy spares. By throwing good I meant hitting the pocket. I did that many times, but left a bunch of 10 pins, 4 pins, 4-7 combo. you get the idea. But at least I was getting the ball "out" to give myself a chance. You see, I pull the ball a lot and go high or crossover way too much. So to stay on the right side of the head pin most of the time was a step in the right direction.

Also, I've moved more left on the approach which mentally forces me to "get the ball out there" better. I really do throw a beautiful looking ball, I just want more consistent results. I plan on practicing more, period. I'm tired of averaging 175 when I know I'm capable of much more.
    Sounds alot like me. Pulling my shots alot. I seem to better if I take a more inside line (normally throw first arrow but been more consistent throwing 2nd arrow). And yep, I miss more spares than I convert. I used to be Mr. Automatic with my spares.

Quote Originally Posted by boatman37 View Post
    Sounds alot like me. Pulling my shots alot. I seem to better if I take a more inside line (normally throw first arrow but been more consistent throwing 2nd arrow). And yep, I miss more spares than I convert. I used to be Mr. Automatic with my spares.
    That's why I started this thread, for replies like yours. To realize I'm not alone on the journey back. I was never "automatic" on spares, but was pretty good. But just hitting the pocket consistently made me somewhat happy. I know I'll get there, and be able to compete with the older "seniors", it just seems to take longer than I like. I guess we have to be more patient as older people and let life happen at whatever pace.

Ill try not to be long winded....but this might take a while.
    Wife and I bowled continuously for 14 years from 82-96. In the same league, on Sat. night. That was our night out, me for the competition, her for the social aspect, although she took it very seriously. We bowled in MD, wood lanes, urethane balls just came out then, still kept score manually. I averaged between 181-186. Threw one 299, and one 300...yep got the rings to prove it. We quit bowling in 1996 just got burned out, between local tournaments, Pot Games, Subbing for other teams, just got tired of it, which was weird....because I really loved the game.
    Fast forward 20 years, now I'm 64 years old, wife and I have retired moved to SWFL and have plenty of time on our hands. Havent thrown a ball in 20 years.....at all!! Local house 10 minutes away from us that I drive by daily. Glanced casually at it from time to time, noticed the parking lot is always packed. Didn't matter what time of the day it was. One day I stopped in to see what was going on...holy cow the house is full. One league middle of the day, 32 lane house, 32 teams in the league. I was blown away, last time we bowled, we struggled to get 16 teams in a league, things must be a lot different now. I picked up a league sheet off one of the tables, I had to do a double take.....I looked at the bowlers, and the balls they threw, and their was no way the averages matched up. High average 223 men, 196 woman, game scratch 289 high, set 740 scratch. Yes I must have been away a very very long time. These were SENIOR'S!!! Went home and told my wife, their is no way I am even competitive with my game, I was considering getting back into it, but its a little intimidating. As always she is the voice of reason.....you were good then, if you go back you will be good again, everyone didn't get that much better, that or all the best bowlers in the world moved to SW Fl.
    Hung around the pro shop, talked to the owner, started asking questions, he just laughed and said you have been away a long time. Synthetic lanes, Reactive balls, THS oil patterns, he gave a crash course in modern bowling. I had him recommend a couple of balls, and bought the rest of my equipment from him for taking time to explain what was going on and how I should approach my game after being out of it for 20 years.
    All I'll say is its been a learning experience. Ended last falls league with a 191, average, the highest of my life, my wife wanted to bowl again so we bowled last summer, just to make sure she would like it again. I averaged 203 and had the first 11 for a 289 game. She struggled with the modern conditions as she plays down the middle of the lanes, right in the heaviest oil, but we are working on her game too! Currently I am at 193 in one league and 201 in the other. Even when I had shot a 300 and 299 I never shot a 700 set, I have shot a 700, and 716, one with a 278 this fall.
    I am not posting this to brag. I am the same bowler I was when I quit in 1996 with a 181 average.....or even a little less, after battles with Cancer, Diabeties, and a Heart issue, my confidence isn't as strong as it used to be, I have lost some ball speed, Father time waits for none of us, he just marches on.
    With the modern game and lane conditions, new reactive equipment, not to mention, new coaching techniques to help improve your weak areas or work around them. Its possible to improve to levels once thought unattainable. If you would have told me in 1996 that in 20 years I would start bowling again and my average would be over 200, I would have been rolling on the floor laughing.
    Maybe its just the houses in SWFL that are set up to score like this.....I don't know, don't bowl any tournaments or bowl out of the state. Havent tried a sport condition either, I know they are tougher than the THS If you are thinking about getting back into it, don't be intimidated like I was do it.
    Had a Coach once tell me that Bowling was a Lifetime Sport, never understood what he meant, now I do.

Pin Crusher

How old are you?

65 in April. Old as dirt!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Outerlimits View Post
    65 in April. Old as dirt!!!
    Nah 65 is the new 30

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast