Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: The "I've been out of bowling for years, and I'm back!" thread

Been away from here for a while, but working 64-70 hours a week may have something to do with it, lol. Shot a 547 tonight with my "new" release. I've always had a wrist device of some sort in the past, or a heavily ace bandaged wrapped wrist, so my second week with an "au natural" wrist is actually going good. I kind of like the freedom I now have, being able to vary my release as I see fit. Granted, it was a total disaster the first night I went without. (460, ouch)

So considering it's only the second week, 547 is not bad. But I believe in my new approach and will continue to practice and work hard. Ultimately, I want to join the big money league next fall and kick butt. I think getting rid of the wrist device is the first step in the right direction.

Chats: 0

Bold move to ditch a wrist device which you probably came dependent on over the years. Way to go. I hope you get re-acclimated doing it naturally. When big changes like that happen it's common to get worse before you get better so don't fret. I bet your wrist felt like jello at first. Good luck with your endeavor

Quote Originally Posted by Phonetek View Post
    Bold move to ditch a wrist device which you probably came dependent on over the years. Way to go. I hope you get re-acclimated doing it naturally. When big changes like that happen it's common to get worse before you get better so don't fret. I bet your wrist felt like jello at first. Good luck with your endeavor
    Actually my wrist wasn't jello at all. I do physical jobs and am in pretty good shape, so it's not a big deal as far as my wrist. It's just getting used to a different feeling. I do notice 10 pins are A LOT easier without a brace. I just have to be careful of over-relaxing, as I missed 2-3 10 pins because I didn't hold my wrist just right. Things I'm learning on the fly. I did slam the pocket enough to feel good about my decision.

High Roller

Horrible night. Couldn't hit my mark for anything. Had a 147, 151, and 167. Couldn't make spares either. My form was bad, my speed was way too high (most were close to 19 at the pins. Usually I'm closer to 16.7). Teammate told me at the end of the night it looked like I was running up to the line. I didn't notice it. Thought I was normal speed.

Quote Originally Posted by boatman37 View Post
    Horrible night. Couldn't hit my mark for anything. Had a 147, 151, and 167. Couldn't make spares either. My form was bad, my speed was way too high (most were close to 19 at the pins. Usually I'm closer to 16.7). Teammate told me at the end of the night it looked like I was running up to the line. I didn't notice it. Thought I was normal speed.
    That's quite a jump in speed it could have been your feet causing it. Did you drink a 6 pack of Red Bull's before league or what? When I can bowl again I'm definitely gonna take my speed down a few pegs, 19-20 is just too much. With my knee being fragile my feet will definitely have to be slower anyway. Doc said the x-ray looked okay but 7 dislocations is bad. If I keep it up I'll be needing a replacement for sure. It's so hard to tell myself I'm 46 not 26, when I do my multiple personalities argue with my inner demons and nothing changes.

My first post here. Just came back to bowling after a 15 year hiatus. Didn't touch a ball over that timeframe. Then my wife and I decided to go bowling one Saturday and I grabbed my 20 year old redrilled Storm Sensor II and threw a 629 series right out of the gate! (My old average was 180). I was hooked and my wife and I joined a Friday night couples league. Three weeks in I threw my first ever 700 series (right on the nose).

Then I decided I wasn't doing it right and started to change EVERYTHING...my average dropped to 175 (From 192). Truth is I was doing everything wrong. My ball never went above my waist...I rushed to the line from the back dots in four steps and heaved the ball at 16-18mph. So once I started messing with everything my game went to crap and I'm currently still there trying to figure it all out. Yes I was fairly consistent before...but I was doing it so wrong that even though I could hold a 190 or so average I knew I could never get above 200 throwing that way. I did buy new equipment....Storm Marvel Pearl, Motiv Forza GT and Storm Pitch Blue (my spare and "dry" ball). The Forza is my benchmark...but with such an inconsistent approach and release right now it doesn't matter too much what I throw.

I want to learn the new release...there are no coaches here (small town). I want to have a much higher backswing...I'm 51 but in good shape with no physical limitations...no physical reason I can't bring it higher....just force of habit. Oh, I also use a wrist brace (Storm C4) and I grip the damn ball WAY too hard....gave myself tendonitis in my forearm which I'm still working on.

So...I want to grip lighter (started using tape in my thumb hole), I what a higher backswing to maintain my speed but let gravity do most of the work instead of heaving it. I want to learn the modern release and ditch the brace and I want to get my average above 200. Wish me luck.

I'm a traditional "stroker" up the 2nd arrow bowler right now. I "lift" the ball at release as I bring my hand around the side of the ball. I often drop it early and I often miss my mark.....long way to go. I was thinking about making my own "Rev Trainer" like Eileen's has to work on the release?

Am I overthinking it? Should I just settle with my old waist high backswing and heave? Or am I making the right choice to revamp my entire game? I'm normally a quick study but with no coach and limited practice time not sure what to expect.

- Adam

Adam, if you have the means.....next time you go bowling have someone take a video of you. There are coaches on here and many knowledgeable bowlers that would be more than happy to help critique it for you.
    Bowling Center Manager
    Arsenal consists of mainly 15# Motiv balls, I have several now and they are the bomb! Too many to list and carry. Still have a couple Hammer balls and my AMF RPM Swirl (old reliable) & 25+yr old Linds worth a mention
    Currently 535+ Rev Rate @ 19 MPH (This probably needs to be updated, I think I've toned each down a click or two these days. I'm letting the ball do more of the work as I get older.)

Bump....Anyone new that just came back that would like to add anything? Probably unlikely since it's now summer but I figured I'd bump it to keep it from getting lost.
    Bowling Center Manager
    Arsenal consists of mainly 15# Motiv balls, I have several now and they are the bomb! Too many to list and carry. Still have a couple Hammer balls and my AMF RPM Swirl (old reliable) & 25+yr old Linds worth a mention
    Currently 535+ Rev Rate @ 19 MPH (This probably needs to be updated, I think I've toned each down a click or two these days. I'm letting the ball do more of the work as I get older.)

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345