Thread: Skin Condition

Default Skin Condition

Curious what steps do you guys take as far as the condition of the skin on your hands. I have very dry skin which in the winter time can almost be painful. That said on days when I bowl I don't use any lotion in fear that it could affect my bowling. So what say you?

Bowling Guru
    Chats: 13

Quote Originally Posted by mx1alex View Post
    Curious what steps do you guys take as far as the condition of the skin on your hands. I have very dry skin which in the winter time can almost be painful. That said on days when I bowl I don't use any lotion in fear that it could affect my bowling. So what say you?
    I don’t share your problem, but I will share my opinion. Use the lotion early in the day. It should keep your skin from getting too dry, but the greasy feeling should be gone by the time you bowl.
    John

When I worked for a living, I suffered from dry skin, dry nose, etc. The skin on my thumbs and palms would feel like sandpaper and the sides of some of my fingers would crack especially in the winter time. Now that I'm retired I no longer have that condition. I was not bowling much during my working days, but got back into it these past few years. Don't use any lotion; however, I tend to like using protective tape like the Vise HADA tape or Turbo Grips protective tape or Storm's Thunder Tape. I use the Thunder Tape on both the top and on the pad side of my thumb. I often wrap protective tape on my middle finger and sometimes around the ring finger. The thumb tape keeps the feeling consistent as I see it. The finger tape keeps from roughing up the sides of the fingers while using a fingertip grip.
    Perhaps you can describe what kind of pain you're experiencing or maybe I'm lucky enough to have hit on it already... Good luck!

Cranker
    Chats: 0

I would suggest using some type of protective tape as well. I'm pretty dry as well and I would develop a callous on my thumb so I started using hada tape and now I can't bowl without.

Old school Corn Husker's lotion works great. Working with wire and being outside in all the elements like I was for years made my hands as soft as concrete. I used Corn Huskers and it fixed them right up. It's doesn't use oils or any foo foo scent and my hands weren't greasy. You could probably use it before bowling without a problem because it absorbs or dries pretty fast. It's a good workin man's lotion. You should be able to find it at any Walgreens, Osco or Walmart. It's a cloudy clear lotion in a clear bottle, pretty easy to spot.
    Read the bottle and don't get it in your eyes!

I was just more curious if you guys prefer for your hands to be dried out when bowling? It seems like that would be the preferred way given the use of rosin bags and fans.

I use the rosin that isn't the powder type that makes that poof, the stuff I use just absorbs moisture without the poof. However it almost makes it a little too dry if you will. After, I usually put my hand up to my mouth and blow on them like you do when your outside in cold weather to warm them up. Between the combination of the two I get the feel in the ball I like. It's not even something I think about, I've done that so long it's just automatic.

Cranker

Dry hands yes, dry skin no. There's a difference. Too much moisture on your hands and your thumb may stick. Dry skin as you said can be painful and lead to cracking.

I'm new to all of this. Joined a league this year and have been trying to learn as much as I can. I'd like to try the tape on the thumb stuff but the thumb hole in my spare ball is slightly smaller diameter than my strike ball so for now I have just used some tape inside my strike ball.

If it's a slight bit smaller, your PSO can open it up in a couple minutes. Probably wouldn't even have to put it on the press and wouldn't likely even charge you. You'll get the hang of it pretty quick. It won't take long with a little experimentation to find the grip that works for you. Since we are only talking micro changes here, rosin, tape, lotion. Just play around with it, it's not gonna hurt anything and when you finally get that perfect grip you like you will know it.