Thread: "No thumb" bowling

Default "No thumb" bowling

I am intrigued at the notion of bowling with a "no thumb" release. For the heck of it, I recently tried two handed and found it fun but, being in my late 40's (though I'm not in horrible shape), I am not sure if it's something I could keep up.

When I thought about it, it was really the "no thumb" part about it that appealed to me the most. I was just wondering if anyone has had had success with this style and, if so, what are some of the caveats to consider when employing it?

Cranker
    Chats: 0

Quote Originally Posted by jaypeesmith View Post
    I am intrigued at the notion of bowling with a "no thumb" release. For the heck of it, I recently tried two handed and found it fun but, being in my late 40's (though I'm not in horrible shape), I am not sure if it's something I could keep up.

When I thought about it, it was really the "no thumb" part about it that appealed to me the most. I was just wondering if anyone has had had success with this style and, if so, what are some of the caveats to consider when employing it?
    Tom Daughtery is a one handed PBA bowler that doesn't bowl with his thumb except for spares. Like with any style in bowling, repeating your shots and accuracy. Will that be something you can do bowling no thumb. Also with the increased revs, you'll need more speed as well.

Bowling Guru
    Chats: 13

Quote Originally Posted by jaypeesmith View Post

The advantage of "no thumb" is you never have a problem with the thumb sticking or coming out of the ball late. You can still have timing issues, they just won't involve the thumb.

If I remember correctly, Mike Miller, the first pro to go "thumbless" started training with a 6lb ball and slowly worked up to 15 or 16 lbs.
    John

Honestly, for me, it's about finding a balance. I can repeat shots with consistency but, the rev/speed combination is a challenge. If I am not getting enough revs, my ball speed gets to 19+ MPH without trying. When I get a decent rev rate, the ball speed is about 15 MPH. But, I think it's more about me finding a style that suits me and building from there.

Chats: 0

Way back when on my kids league while bowling a blind team we'd horse around throwing without a thumb and such. Yes, it's a no-no but we were kids. Needless to say it didn't work out well for me. One of my teammates actually bowled better that way and ended up changing his game permanently to bowl thumbless. I'm not saying he was great back then but he had that white dot bending like a banana.

Super Moderator

Blog Entries
    Chats: 1305

I have been Bowling that way for about 15 years now. Started Bc when I came back to bowling I couldn't fit my thumb in the ball that I had so I just did without it lol I can also bowl with thumb in and due at times when needed.

Chats: 2

I've bowled 2-handed my entire life. I broke my wrist at a young age and never felt comfortable throwing a ball with 1 hand, and I'm pretty uncoordinated left handed. It took awhile to get to where I was decent. By the time I was a senior in HS, I was the best youth bowler in the state of wyoming. Some other issues have since made me dwindle down to decent at best, but that's besides the point. The accuracy, speed, timing, it can all be worked on to get better. My biggest issues was with balance. Once you're balanced at the line, everything else comes together.
    • Current Arsenal: Storm Timeless, Storm Phaze II, Storm Pitch Black, Storm Drive, Rotogrip Hot Cell, Rotogrip Show Off, DV8 Turmoil Pearl
    • High Game: 300 (3 11 in a row) / High Series: 799
    • Current Average: 202 / PAP: 5" over, 1/8" up
    • Rev Rate: 425rpm / 2-Hands

Quote Originally Posted by JaxBowlingGuy View Post
    I have been Bowling that way for about 15 years now. Started Bc when I came back to bowling I couldn't fit my thumb in the ball that I had so I just did without it lol I can also bowl with thumb in and due at times when needed.
    I am going to give it a go, at least for my strike ball. For that 9- or 10-spare, I am pretty sure it would be in my best interest to keep that thumb in.

Quote Originally Posted by chip82901 View Post
    I've bowled 2-handed my entire life. I broke my wrist at a young age and never felt comfortable throwing a ball with 1 hand, and I'm pretty uncoordinated left handed. It took awhile to get to where I was decent. By the time I was a senior in HS, I was the best youth bowler in the state of wyoming. Some other issues have since made me dwindle down to decent at best, but that's besides the point. The accuracy, speed, timing, it can all be worked on to get better. My biggest issues was with balance. Once you're balanced at the line, everything else comes together.
    Thanks. I'll keep this one in mind. What you're sharing sounds quite familiar to me (the balance part, that is)