Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Helicopter / UFO style

Bowler
    Chats: 0

Default Helicopter / UFO style

I have so far been unable to locate any videos or tutorials that accurately show or explain how the release works for this throw. Any throw this style or do I need to try some website in taiwan?

interested on people's thoughts on doing this release with non dominant hand and my normal tweener roll with my dominant.

many thanks

Cranker

Here's probably the best video of it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YaBj2y7oEJU

From what I've seen it's all about deflection. They use about a 12lb ball and they almost flip it backhanded. The best carry seems to crossover Brooklyn. To me it doesn't look too hard to do but I have never tried it.

Almost forgot to ask. Why would you want to do this with your non-dominant hand? Usually leagues or competitions you're not allowed to switch hands bowling.
    Last edited by JasonNJ; 02-08-2018 at 01:49 PM.

Pin Crusher

I have seen another video where it was girls. They threw what looked like plastic off the corner and very hard. Everything looked like they were trying to hit Brooklyn. This video was more traditional looking.

Chats: 2

Quote Originally Posted by JasonNJ View Post
    Here's probably the best video of it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YaBj2y7oEJU

From what I've seen it's all about deflection. They use about a 12lb ball and they almost flip it backhanded. The best carry seems to crossover Brooklyn. To me it doesn't look too hard to do but I have never tried it.

Almost forgot to ask. Why would you want to do this with your non-dominant hand? Usually leagues or competitions you're not allowed to switch hands bowling.
    That looks like my wrist would be done after the 2nd shot lol
    • Current Arsenal: Storm Timeless, Storm Phaze II, Storm Pitch Black, Storm Drive, Rotogrip Hot Cell, Rotogrip Show Off, DV8 Turmoil Pearl
    • High Game: 300 (3 11 in a row) / High Series: 799
    • Current Average: 202 / PAP: 5" over, 1/8" up
    • Rev Rate: 425rpm / 2-Hands

Super Moderator
    Blog Entries
    Chats: 554

Quote Originally Posted by chip82901 View Post
    That looks like my wrist would be done after the 2nd shot lol
    Which is why most use light weight 10-12 pound balls for this style.

Right handed Stroker, high track ,about 13 degree axis tilt. PAP is located 5 9/16” over 1 3/4” up.Speed ave. about 14 mph at the pins. Medium rev’s.High Game 300, High series 798

"Talent without training is nothing." Luke Skywalker

Super Moderator
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by mattmc82 View Post
    I have so far been unable to locate any videos or tutorials that accurately show or explain how the release works for this throw. Any throw this style or do I need to try some website in taiwan?

interested on people's thoughts on doing this release with non dominant hand and my normal tweener roll with my dominant.

many thanks
    You need to look at Asian video's mainly, because their about the only ones that use that style. Virtually no one uses it here, they had the extreme conditions that allowed the release to work for them.

Typically plastic balls are used and You need to use light weight 10-12 pound balls, because heavy balls really increase the chances doing damage to your elbow, wrists etc.

And as Jason said why use your non-dominant hand? you can't switch back and forth during competition.
    Last edited by bowl1820; 02-08-2018 at 06:03 PM.

Right handed Stroker, high track ,about 13 degree axis tilt. PAP is located 5 9/16” over 1 3/4” up.Speed ave. about 14 mph at the pins. Medium rev’s.High Game 300, High series 798

High Roller

I know a guy that bowled left handed but could throw it to hook left like a right hander would. And he could consistently get strikes. He didn't normally throw that way but just for fun he would do it once in awhile. I was impressed. Guess maybe it would help with 7's?

Anyway, back to our regularly scheduled program:

Bowler

Quote Originally Posted by bowl1820 View Post
    You need to look at Asian video's mainly, because their about the only ones that use that style. Virtually no one uses it here, they had the extreme conditions that allowed the release to work for them.

Typically plastic balls are used and You need to use light weight 10-12 pound balls, because heavy balls really increase the chances doing damage to your elbow, wrists etc.

And as Jason said why use your non-dominant hand? you can't switch back and forth during competition.
    The reason is so I do not screw up my delivery with my dominant arm. I would only be using this in a league I am in that doesn't strip the oil from the lanes. We have 32 people, we are in week 6 of our third season and only one person has had a 600 series (1 time). the top 3 scores for a single game were all straight ballers (246, 245, 235) but none of them even have had a 550 series. just looking for a way to win on garbage lanes that use used pins from other alleys and dont strip oil

Chats: 32

it's not something that your going to pick up and do. It has its own timing and release that has to be mastered. It's like deciding your going to bowl two handed on oily conditions.
    I am a proud member of Bowlingboards.com bowling forums and ball contest winner

Current arsenal

900 Global Badger Claw - Radical Ridiculous Pearl - Spare Ball Ebonite T Zone

Super Moderator
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by mattmc82 View Post
    The reason is so I do not screw up my delivery with my dominant arm. I would only be using this in a league I am in that doesn't strip the oil from the lanes. We have 32 people, we are in week 6 of our third season and only one person has had a 600 series (1 time). the top 3 scores for a single game were all straight ballers (246, 245, 235) but none of them even have had a 550 series. just looking for a way to win on garbage lanes that use used pins from other alleys and dont strip oil

If the league has already started and you started the league right-handed you can't switch to left-handed (except under certain circumstances and you'd have to get the leagues permission and you'd have to reestablish your average.)

Since you say the straight ballers are scoring high games, Instead of trying to learn and use a new unconventual style with your non dominate hand.

You'd be better off practicing and rolling a straight ball with your dominate hand.
    Last edited by bowl1820; 02-09-2018 at 12:47 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast