Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Might get somre practice in tomorrow.

High Roller
    Chats: 0

Default Might get somre practice in tomorrow.

I work 4 10's and am normally off on Fridays and have a bunch of stops to make tomorrow which takes me right past my bowling alley. Might stop for a couple of quick games where there aren't a hundred people watching and I have the time. Got a new Black Widow Gold Tuesday and did ok with it but we were in really tight games so I was afraid to try different lines. My plan is to start out at the foul line to work on my release and follow through. After that I am going to work on my approach to try to get my timing down and also to try to get lower. My knees have been hurting since week 2 (3 weeks ago). I was wearing house shoes and my slide foot was sticking and I ended up twisting my knee so not sure if it hurts from that day or just hurting in general from doing something it isn't use to. Either way I haven't been sliding and have been releasing with my slide leg straight and no bend. Third I want to work on different lines. As a lefty my usual line is left toe on the 3rd dot from left and throw over the first arrow. I did this with my old Brunswick Cobalt Rhino years ago and it was almost automatic. This year I am having trouble hitting that first arrow so figured I would try different lines as it seems really dry outside the 7th or 8th board. I have also moved right and thrown 2nd arrow but want to try moving in a little more. Lanes have been very dry so might try getting more towards the center on release to get into some oil and then get it outside further down (more back end like the pros do). My old Rhino had no backend but rather a sweeping arc the whole length of the lane. Lastly I need to work on spares. I am going to try my Hammer Spike for my 7 pins. Been struggling with anything on the left side, partially because the balls I have been using have too much backend.

Sound like a good game plan? Not at all concerned with scores tomorrow but primarily learning and practicing. I haven't bowled for about 15 years so I have some catching up to do.

EDIT: I will be by myself but will try to get a good recording, including a few shots with tape to get a rev rate
    Last edited by boatman37; 02-08-2018 at 08:36 PM.

High Roller

k. just bowled 3 practice games. didn't follow my plan but that was because i threw the first couple just to see and it felt good and had 3 in a row to start so i just tried adjusting and tried a few different lines. i recorded about every shot but will have to edit it to post anything. i shanked a few shots to the inside but probably 90% of my shots were in the pocket. rolled a 180, 147, and 211 but scores weren't my objective.

High Roller

What are you guys using for video editing? I had tape on the ball to get rev rates but everything I have tried is too jerky. It jumps a few frames so I can't get a count

Super Moderator
    Blog Entries
    Chats: 554

Quote Originally Posted by boatman37 View Post
    What are you guys using for video editing? I had tape on the ball to get rev rates but everything I have tried is too jerky. It jumps a few frames so I can't get a count
    First you should check what frame rate your camera is using? You should use the cameras highest Frame Per Second (FPS) setting, this helps avoid motion blur and gives you better slow motion playback.

Most video cameras shoot at 30fps (30 fps is the minimum you should use), your video should be exported at the same rate. The more FPS you have the smoother the video will be.

As for software pretty much any video player which has a frame counter display and lets you step through frames one at a time will work for figuring revs.

For playing videos I use Potplayer it does fine for counting frames, for actual editing I use the open source program SHOTCUT https://shotcut.org/

Right handed Stroker, high track ,about 13 degree axis tilt. PAP is located 5 9/16” over 1 3/4” up.Speed ave. about 14 mph at the pins. Medium rev’s.High Game 300, High series 798

"Talent without training is nothing." Luke Skywalker

High Roller

I used my iphone 6S plus. no idea what the framerate was...lol. I will play around with it later

You could try taking the video off your phone, putting it on a thumb drive. If you have a smart TV you can watch it right off that and the video app you can use slow motion on. Mine, I have to hit play then pause then >> once and it's slow motion. Otherwise on a PC you can find all kinds of video players. VLC Media player does slow motion and you can slow it down in large or small increments. Just a suggestion.

High Roller

Well I timed my shots. Seems to be about 2.20 to 2.30 seconds per shot, which seems to be about 18.2 MPH? The lane sensor usually reads about 16.5 to 17.2 MPH but I think that is at the pins? As close as I can count I see about 10 revolutions going down the lane. If I had to guess I would have said I am about 300 RPM? From what I have calculated it looks like closer to 360?

Still trying to figure out how to post pics and videos.

High Roller

Here is one of my better shots. You can see how my form isn't great but it's the way I have been doing it.

High Roller

Here are some more clips. Don't have much of my actual approach. I was by myself and did the best I could to place my phone in a good spot to get as much as I could:

High Roller

Can only do 1 video per post...ughhhh

[video]

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast