Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Flare variance between two balls

Chats: 0

Quote Originally Posted by boatman37 View Post
    Yeah. back then if you had a 200 average you were a rock star. we had about 3 or 4, maybe 5 bowlers with a 200 average back then and the highest average was about 207. my current league we have at least 20 that are over 200 average (7 over 220) and the highest is about 228. from what i have been told the difference is the synthetic lanes and more forgiving and effective bowling balls
    Yes the game has definitely change and the averages are much higher from what I hear. I haven't gotten out there on any leagues or competition just yet to know first hand. I gotta get my new stuff first. I'd like to check out these "220+" guys out here to see if just why they are at that level. Skill or technology? I know in the past when you ran across your basic ringer because of technology most times you could still beat them because they'd usually choke under pressure when skill was required to win.

I'm looking forward to getting out into this new world of bowling and seeing all the challenges that I have to face ahead.
    Last edited by Phonetek; 02-11-2018 at 02:32 AM.

Yeah. back then if you had a 200 average you were a rock star. we had about 3 or 4, maybe 5 bowlers with a 200 average back then and the highest average was about 207. my current league we have at least 20 that are over 200 average (7 over 220) and the highest is about 228. from what i have been told the difference is the synthetic lanes and more forgiving and effective bowling balls
    You've missed the biggest difference: the oil patterns. Today the USBC does nothing to monitor or control how the oil is applied to the lane. The only rule the USBC has is that there must be at least three units of oil from gutter to gutter for the length of the pattern. Modern bowling balls don't even recognize three units of oil, and the USBC doesn't monitor individual bowling centers other than once a year at a predetermined time, so the rule is basically useless. On a "Typical House Shot" there is relatively heavy oil applied from the second arrow to the second arrow, with less oil to the outside. If you have a mediocre bowler playing the second arrow with a modern bowling ball that hooks all by itself, if he misses to the outside, the ball hits more friction and hooks back to the pocket. If he misses to the inside, the ball skids further in the oil and stays in the pocket. This is why there are so many inflated averages today; the balls combined with the oil patterns have all but eliminated the need for accuracy.

High Roller

Quote Originally Posted by RobLV1 View Post
    You've missed the biggest difference: the oil patterns. Today the USBC does nothing to monitor or control how the oil is applied to the lane. The only rule the USBC has is that there must be at least three units of oil from gutter to gutter for the length of the pattern. Modern bowling balls don't even recognize three units of oil, and the USBC doesn't monitor individual bowling centers other than once a year at a predetermined time, so the rule is basically useless. On a "Typical House Shot" there is relatively heavy oil applied from the second arrow to the second arrow, with less oil to the outside. If you have a mediocre bowler playing the second arrow with a modern bowling ball that hooks all by itself, if he misses to the outside, the ball hits more friction and hooks back to the pocket. If he misses to the inside, the ball skids further in the oil and stays in the pocket. This is why there are so many inflated averages today; the balls combined with the oil patterns have all but eliminated the need for accuracy.
    Highly likely but I know very little about oil patterns so didn't mention it. I rarely bowled in tournaments or different centers unless it was a high school tournament so just did what I did every week, give or take a few boards. I do know in the 6 weeks I have been back I have yet to see any oil on my ball and lots of bowlers commenting about how dry it is. I have been trying to see the track out of curiosity but can't see it. My typical shot is anywhere from the first arrow to the second arrow. Seems like if I can hit anywhere between them I can hit the pocket. If I throw 3rd arrow my ball won't come back. I could probably adjust to make it work but don't really see a need to so far.

Quote Originally Posted by RobLV1 View Post
    Is it that bad? You almost make it sound like it's a waste of time and money or lost cause for skilled bowlers because Joe bowlers ball is on auto pilot. Did I pick the wrong time to come back to the sport? Next time I go I'll try purposely missing 12 times a row and see if I can get a perfect game. =)

Super Moderator
    Blog Entries
    Chats: 554

Quote Originally Posted by Phonetek View Post
    Is it that bad? You almost make it sound like it's a waste of time and money or lost cause for skilled bowlers because Joe bowlers ball is on auto pilot. Did I pick the wrong time to come back to the sport? Next time I go I'll try purposely missing 12 times a row and see if I can get a perfect game. =)
    No you didn't pick the wrong time to come back, I've been on all the boards for 20+ years and they said same things back then when I started.

Not to say that today's conditions and equipment don't help bowlers to a degree. But go into most regular houses, the majority of bowlers are not sitting around wishing for tougher conditions, they don't have 200+ averages. They figure they'll never have a 200 average, but they are wishing to God that they could at least shoot one 300 game in their life.

And frankly most of the ones that are complaining about the "easy" conditions, if they got their wish and it was harder. They would be complaining because their averages would go plop! (Which you can see happen, when bowlers go to a sport/challenge league and bowl on harder conditions for the first time. )

Right handed Stroker, high track ,about 13 degree axis tilt. PAP is located 5 9/16” over 1 3/4” up.Speed ave. about 14 mph at the pins. Medium rev’s.High Game 300, High series 798

"Talent without training is nothing." Luke Skywalker

Quote Originally Posted by bowl1820 View Post
    No you didn't pick the wrong time to come back, I've been on all the boards for 20+ years and they said same things back then when I started.

Not to say that today's conditions and equipment don't help bowlers to a degree. But go into most regular houses, the majority of bowlers are not sitting around wishing for tougher conditions, they don't have 200+ averages. They figure they'll never have a 200 average, but they are wishing to God that they could at least shoot one 300 game in their life.

And frankly most of the ones that are complaining about the "easy" conditions, if they got their wish and it was harder. They would be complaining because their averages would go plop! (Which you can see happen, when bowlers go to a sport/challenge league and bowl on harder conditions for the first time. )
    Yeah, that has been going on forever. Most of those guys are just blow hards, I've dealt with my share in the past. Some things never change. Personally I'll bowl on whatever the conditions are and do my best. Even if conditions are considered "easy" that doesn't apply to everyone. Some people can dominate better on a sport or pba pattern vs. THS, it all depends on the bowler. In my personal experience I've struggled the most on mid level oil conditions more than anything. I've scored best on bone dry and or soaked lanes.

If people REALLY want difficult conditions then the Peterson Classic tournament used to be where it was at. 100yr old warped lanes, offset racks, pins off spot, oil sprayed on certain areas and wiped off from others. Your ball would zig zag down the lane. It was all done on purpose to make it hard. You're ball and hands were filthy by the end of the night. Now THAT was anything but easy. I think the tournament still exists but the place where it used to be held was decrepit and was demolished some years ago. I'm not sure the re-creation is as good as the authentic original.

EDIT: In case you were wondering the tournament was in Chicago at least back then. I'm not sure where it's at now. It's still in IL but in one of the northern burbs.
    Last edited by Phonetek; 02-11-2018 at 04:42 PM.

High Roller

No, that won't work. I've missed my mark 12 times in a row (and not on purpose) and no 300

No, that won't work. I've missed my mark 12 times in a row (and not on purpose) and no 300
    LMAO, It may only work with righty's

Bowler

Yeah, that has been going on forever. Most of those guys are just blow hards, I've dealt with my share in the past. Some things never change. Personally I'll bowl on whatever the conditions are and do my best. Even if conditions are considered "easy" that doesn't apply to everyone. Some people can dominate better on a sport or pba pattern vs. THS, it all depends on the bowler. In my personal experience I've struggled the most on mid level oil conditions more than anything. I've scored best on bone dry and or soaked lanes.

If people REALLY want difficult conditions then the Peterson Classic tournament used to be where it was at. 100yr old warped lanes, offset racks, pins off spot, oil sprayed on certain areas and wiped off from others. Your ball would zig zag down the lane. It was all done on purpose to make it hard. You're ball and hands were filthy by the end of the night. Now THAT was anything but easy. I think the tournament still exists but the place where it used to be held was decrepit and was demolished some years ago. I'm not sure the re-creation is as good as the authentic original.

EDIT: In case you were wondering the tournament was in Chicago at least back then. I'm not sure where it's at now. It's still in IL but in one of the northern burbs.
    This sounds like my league. Filthy lanes, pins are water logged / dead, they only strip once a month to the pins (not to the end) so you see pins sliding instead of falling (had a 6 pin end up in the 7 position last week) and of course sticky and gross all over to the point we have had people jam their knee on their approach and fall head first into the lane.

I wish I had a more “modern” house for a league home for sure. But the averages play out. Top 5 averages range from 150-165. Have had maybe 5 200 games all season between 32 bowlers and we are in week 7.

I invite anyone to come out. Don’t care what your average is. $100 says you can’t get a 600 series.

High Roller

Quote Originally Posted by mattmc82 View Post
    This sounds like my league. Filthy lanes, pins are water logged / dead, they only strip once a month to the pins (not to the end) so you see pins sliding instead of falling (had a 6 pin end up in the 7 position last week) and of course sticky and gross all over to the point we have had people jam their knee on their approach and fall head first into the lane.

I wish I had a more “modern” house for a league home for sure. But the averages play out. Top 5 averages range from 150-165. Have had maybe 5 200 games all season between 32 bowlers and we are in week 7.

I invite anyone to come out. Don’t care what your average is. $100 says you can’t get a 600 series.
    That stinks. Glad we don't have those conditions. You bowled at our lanes so you see how it compares. We have about 90 bowlers in our league (17 teams, 5 per team) and about 30 or so have 200+ averages (just counting those worth over 20 games I came up with 29) and about 7 over 220.
    Last edited by boatman37; 02-18-2018 at 07:23 PM.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast