Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: If only throwing 1 ball which one?

Default If only throwing 1 ball which one?

Hello everyone. I'm looking for recommendations on what ball to purchase if only throwing 1 ball (including for spares) for THS. I know ideally I need at least 3 (2 hook and a spare) but that won't happen for awhile. My dilemma is I would lean more toward a solid for med-heavy but since I'll be using for spares as well I'm thinking maybe I should go with a pearl for light- med? I haven't bowled in many years but when I did I had a 175 avg. I'm a stroker with med speed and revs. Prefer up and in but can easily slow my speed and add revs to throw inside as well. Any input would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

If you are only going to use one ball for everything, use a plastic spare ball. What you lose in carry for strikes will be more than compensated for by picking up spares. Because of degenerative bone disease, I can no longer generate enough speed to throw reactive. Over the past month or so, I've managed to average about 190 using only plastic. The extra added bonus is that when I occasionally throw a 220 game, I know that I really earned it... it was because of my bowling, not the ball.

Hmm. I did not expect that answer. You may very well be right but I know I won't be able to do that. I need to have some sort of hook and I'm sure I don't have the revs to hook a spare ball.

High Roller
    Chats: 0

I just bought a Hammer Black Widow Gold and got it drilled pin up. The only problems I have with spares are anything left of the 2 pin (4 and 8 aren't too bad). The 7 is pretty tough (I'm a lefty). The ball comes back in from the edge of the gutter and misses the 7 to the inside. I would think with a little less aggressive drilling pattern it might have a little less hook and be able to get those 7's. Talk to your PSO about it.

This is actually one of the balls I was considering. Just worried it may be too aggressive for my only ball. I thought pin up was the less aggressive drilling?

Chats: 256

If you can flatten your hand out to get corner pins, you could use any ball you want.

Also, a great article on pin up vs. pin down drilling.

http://news.stormbowling.com/2017/05...p-vs-pin-down/
    Last edited by vdubtx; 02-11-2018 at 11:30 AM.
    High Sanctioned Scratch Game - 300(12) Hi Sanctioned Scratch Series - 822(3)
    2016/17 Book Average=221, 2017/18 Composite Average=223
    Equipment in the bag - Storm Crux Prime, Storm Physix, Roto Grip Idol, Roto Grip Idol Pearl, Roto Grip Hyper Cell Fused, Storm Sure Lock, Storm Drive, Roto Grip Winner Solid, Roto Grip Haywire, Storm Fever Pitch, Roto Grip Red ball spare.

Rev Rate 400. Speed 18 at heads, 16.5-17 at pins. Axis tilt 10, Axis Rotation 55. PAP 5 5/8 x 5/8 up

I can somewhat but still hook away at the last second on the 10 pin. Assuming that wasn't an issue how aggressive of a ball. Solid or pearl, etc.

Super Moderator
    Blog Entries
    Chats: 554

Resin, Urethane or Polyester (Plastic), There's always a give and take.

IMO if you really only want one ball and Your only going to bowl on a THS then go with a Urethane ball.

It's more aggressive than plastic and while it's earlier than Resin, it's not going to over react to the dry like resin can. So you'll have more control especially when the lanes have been broken down.

It's more durable than plastic, Surface changes will allow you to play a wider range of conditions and you'll be able to create more entry angle than you could with plastic so you'll have better carry and as long as you know how roll a straight ball you'll still be able shoot your spares.

Right handed Stroker, high track ,about 13 degree axis tilt. PAP is located 5 9/16” over 1 3/4” up.Speed ave. about 14 mph at the pins. Medium rev’s.High Game 300, High series 798

"Talent without training is nothing." Luke Skywalker

Good info. Will urethane still hook some on oily conditions? Any particular balls you would recommend?

Super Moderator
    Blog Entries
    Chats: 554

Quote Originally Posted by yodes View Post
    Good info. Will urethane still hook some on oily conditions? Any particular balls you would recommend?
    Yes, Urethane will hook on oilier conditions.

Urethane was the "oil" ball before resin, Urethane balls just react earlier on the lane and have smoother move down the lane. Where as Resin goes long and has a hard, sharper reaction down lane.

I haven't used any of the new Urethane's, I have a old Burgundy Hammer which I'm looking to replace at some point though.

Pretty much the one you see most used on TV is the Storm Pitch Black.

There's also the Brunswick True Motion and the Hammer Black Widow Urethane, Motiv has some and Pyramid is supposed to becoming out with one.

I would prefer a two piece ball (cover and core without filler) if I can.

Some things to remember with urethane is , wipe it a lot and if you leak it out it's not going to recover like a resin ball (but more than plastic). Also some balls listed as urethane are not pure urethane, their just weak resin balls, Not a deal breaker just be aware of it.
    Last edited by bowl1820; 02-11-2018 at 01:08 PM.

Right handed Stroker, high track ,about 13 degree axis tilt. PAP is located 5 9/16” over 1 3/4” up.Speed ave. about 14 mph at the pins. Medium rev’s.High Game 300, High series 798

"Talent without training is nothing." Luke Skywalker

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast