Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: If only throwing 1 ball which one?

Bowler
    Chats: 0

Vdubtx - nice article!

Bowl1820 - when you say leak out do you mean a hot soak?

Super Moderator
    Blog Entries
    Chats: 554

Quote Originally Posted by mattmc82 View Post
    Bowl1820 - when you say leak out do you mean a hot soak?
    NO! When you "leak" a ball out, That means you rolled the ball too far to the outside. the opposite would be "pulling" or "tugging" the ball.

Right handed Stroker, high track ,about 13 degree axis tilt. PAP is located 5 9/16” over 1 3/4” up.Speed ave. about 14 mph at the pins. Medium rev’s.High Game 300, High series 798

"Talent without training is nothing." Luke Skywalker

Bowler

Thanks for clarification.

If I am going one ball I want a nice strong pearl. Can usually ride the rail for the tens if you flatten it out

Definitely leaning toward a pearl since I miss more to the right than to the left. My dilemma is how strong. For instance a Hy road pearl or Match up pearl.

Chats: 10

Also, limiting your Arsenal you bring to the alley will also ease the thinking process a bit. I know for me, I bring 4 balls, at times this is a problem as when I’m struggling, I may switch balls several times. By bringing one ball, or two, you limit your choices and know what your ball may do better than if you bring several.
    In my bag: Roto Grip UFO, Roto Grip Hyper Cell Fused and Roto Grip Hustle hyb

League High Series: 745 (12/23/19) High Game: 300 (11/23/15)

Proud member of BowlingBoards.com

Quote Originally Posted by yodes View Post
    Definitely leaning toward a pearl since I miss more to the right than to the left. My dilemma is how strong. For instance a Hy road pearl or Match up pearl.
    Take a look at the Roto Grip Hustle INK. It's likely one of the best balls for the money right now. It's a shiny solid cover ball and has some good reviews. I've had really good results with it primarily as a ball on drier lanes or once transition conditions occur in league play. You might even want to change the surface and take the shine off of it to possibly suit you better. Good luck...

Bowling Guru
    Chats: 13

Quote Originally Posted by yodes View Post
    Hello everyone. I'm looking for recommendations on what ball to purchase if only throwing 1 ball (including for spares) for THS. I know ideally I need at least 3 (2 hook and a spare) but that won't happen for awhile. My dilemma is I would lean more toward a solid for med-heavy but since I'll be using for spares as well I'm thinking maybe I should go with a pearl for light- med? I haven't bowled in many years but when I did I had a 175 avg. I'm a stroker with med speed and revs. Prefer up and in but can easily slow my speed and add revs to throw inside as well. Any input would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
    I am going to second Rob’s suggestion as I had the same thought as I read your post. As some one who grew up rooting for bowlers like Dick Weber and Gary Dickenson, I am not so much a stroker, but an anti-cranker. One of the leagues that I bowl in is not a USBC certified one, and this season I have bowled every game except for one using the Storm Mix that usually only use on spares. My average is at 198, with a high game of 256 and a high series of 690. Admittedly this is a urethane ball but with a pan cake core. It does tend to hook a board or two even with a flat, mostly end over end release. Given more axis rotation it gets a pretty good entry angle playing up seventh or eighth board.
    John

High Roller

Quote Originally Posted by mattmc82 View Post
    Thanks for clarification.

If I am going one ball I want a nice strong pearl. Can usually ride the rail for the tens if you flatten it out
    I'm trying...lol. I have been able to get a few 7's with my Black Widow Gold but miss to the inside more often than I make it. That said, it tells me if I hit it right I CAN get it but seems like a very small window. I have been using my right handed Hammer Spike for the 7's but still missing those too often too...lol

Brunswick Btu pearl , gives u the best of both worlds

Chats: 32

Truth is I wouldn't spend a huge amount of time worrying about shooting the corners with the strike ball. Buy a good medium ball and bowl with it some guys flatten their wrist and have enough speed to make it work some don't if you don't you'll figure it out quickly a spare ball is only about 60-80 dollars if its an issue buy one later.
    I am a proud member of Bowlingboards.com bowling forums and ball contest winner

Current arsenal

900 Global Badger Claw - Radical Ridiculous Pearl - Spare Ball Ebonite T Zone

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast