Thread: Roto-Grip No Rules Exist - Question on Refinish

Chats: 55

Default Roto-Grip No Rules Exist - Question on Refinish

My bowling partner/mentor has a fairly new RG No Rules Exist that she absolutes hates the way it reacts. Her feeling is that it does not finish well. She has tried it on several different times....fresh oil, moderate use, a little burned - we rarely see much of a burnt situation on the lanes.

I just recently got a ball spinner, and she wants me to use this ball to "learn" on. She doesn't care if it never works for her, but is more interested in my learning the refinishing. I know how I like the covers on my own bowling balls, so I never had to decide what to do to change a reaction.

Any suggestions on what I should do to this No Rules Exist that will help make the backend reaction a little stronger?

And remember, I am a newbie at this so be specific...we are experimenting, but I do want to learn. No worries either, she doesn't care if I screw it up, but I figure anything is fixable.

Thanks for any help!
    Proud member of bowlingboards.com bowling forums & winner of bowling ball give-away!
    High Series - 704; High Game - 290 (a long time ago) Current Average - 150

Chats: 256

That ball has 2000 grit surface out of the box. I would take surface down to 1000 to get some more traction on the lane.
    High Sanctioned Scratch Game - 300(12) Hi Sanctioned Scratch Series - 822(3)
    2016/17 Book Average=221, 2017/18 Composite Average=223
    Equipment in the bag - Storm Crux Prime, Storm Physix, Roto Grip Idol, Roto Grip Idol Pearl, Roto Grip Hyper Cell Fused, Storm Sure Lock, Storm Drive, Roto Grip Winner Solid, Roto Grip Haywire, Storm Fever Pitch, Roto Grip Red ball spare.

Rev Rate 400. Speed 18 at heads, 16.5-17 at pins. Axis tilt 10, Axis Rotation 55. PAP 5 5/8 x 5/8 up

Cranker
    Chats: 0

Because your friend is saying it doesn't finish well, I would have went the other way and go 3000 or 4000 grit because it sounds like the ball is burning up.

Super Moderator
    Blog Entries
    Chats: 554

Quote Originally Posted by classygranny View Post
    My bowling partner/mentor has a fairly new RG No Rules Exist that she absolutes hates the way it reacts. Her feeling is that it does not finish well. She has tried it on several different times....fresh oil, moderate use, a little burned - we rarely see much of a burnt situation on the lanes.
    "moderate use, a little burned" those are not conditions for that ball. It has a aggressive cover and it's dull OOB, it needs to see some oil. If she's not playing deep and just out around the track area, It's probably burning up like JasonNJ said.

You could either go 2000/polish or 2000/4000 or for a even smoother surface 2000/3000/4000

That should let it clear the heads better and have more pop on the back end.

Right handed Stroker, high track ,about 13 degree axis tilt. PAP is located 5 9/16” over 1 3/4” up.Speed ave. about 14 mph at the pins. Medium rev’s.High Game 300, High series 798

"Talent without training is nothing." Luke Skywalker

Here is a great video that shows how to resurface if you would like the visual : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iSfhWoduwQk&t=10s

part 1
    Last edited by bowl1820; 02-12-2018 at 09:45 AM. Reason: changed to video bbcode
    If you or your company would like to advertise on BowlingBoards.com, PM me.

Add this to your signature to show your support for BowlingBoards.com and the Bowling Forums

I am a proud member of Bowlingboards.com bowling Forums

Super Moderator
    Blog Entries
    Chats: 554

Here's part 2 of that video

Note: This video is like 10 years old and what he's show is more what was called a full resurface, it was what was done to restore a ball to "Like New" condition and was for removing all nicks,scratches, etc.

Which is different than just refinishing and returning a ball too OOB surface or doing skip-a-grit sanding or just adjusting surface texture. Plus typically you would do wet sanding as opposed to dry sanding.

Wet vs Dry Sanding

This ball was sanded with the same grit, left-dry sanded, right-wet sanded.

Wet sanding produces a more sheen like finish, water acts as a lubricant to a point so the cutting isn't as aggressive.

Also wet sanding helps keep the dust and friction heat down, the water also helps reduce buildup of the cuttings in your pad/paper which let's them cut better and last longer.

Wet sanding is pretty much the standard when using a home spinner.

Dry sanding is a bit more aggressive and will give you a duller surface. But you get more friction which generates more heat and the pad can load up which can reduce the effectiveness of the cutting.
    Last edited by bowl1820; 02-12-2018 at 10:15 AM.

Right handed Stroker, high track ,about 13 degree axis tilt. PAP is located 5 9/16” over 1 3/4” up.Speed ave. about 14 mph at the pins. Medium rev’s.High Game 300, High series 798

"Talent without training is nothing." Luke Skywalker

Chats: 32

That is a very strong ball and should only be used on heavy oil conditions. The ball is most likely burning up Going to a higher surface grit would help some or polishing the ball but really it's putting lip stick on a pig the ball is designed for heavy oil conditions and should be used as such.
    I am a proud member of Bowlingboards.com bowling forums and ball contest winner

Current arsenal

900 Global Badger Claw - Radical Ridiculous Pearl - Spare Ball Ebonite T Zone

Quote Originally Posted by classygranny View Post

I just recently got a ball spinner, and she wants me to use this ball to "learn" on. She doesn't care if it never works for her, but is more interested in my learning the refinishing. I know how I like the covers on my own bowling balls, so I never had to decide what to do to change a reaction.

Any suggestions on what I should do to this No Rules Exist that will help make the backend reaction a little stronger?

And remember, I am a newbie at this so be specific...we are experimenting, but I do want to learn. No worries either, she doesn't care if I screw it up, but I figure anything is fixable.

Thanks for any help!
    Granny, Wonder why your mentor decided to purchase the No Rules Exist? I won a Wreck IT here and it had a length rating of 11 from Bowling This Month, whereas the No Rules Exist is rated at 10. I ended up having to take the surface up from 2000 grit to 3000 or 4000 grit to allow it to get down the lane before biting into it heavily. Then tried some polish on it, too. With the polish it became quite a bit weaker than my Hy-Road.
    Based upon the review by BTM and looking at a couple video reviews the NRE is a work horse primarily for flooded lanes. If she wanted to make use of this ball, she might have seen decent results on fresh lanes by standing on board 30 and tossing it somewhere between the third and fourth arrows. The ball definitely needs oil on the heads to get down the alley.
    My guess is that by going to a higher grit finish and perhaps polishing it up might do the trick for your friend.
    Hope this helps...

Chats: 55

Thanks all for the advice. Lots to think about.

I don't think the ball is losing energy, except on the later games where she's tried it. DJP1080, she got it as she wanted to be able to move inside on the fresh oil, as on our morning league most of the bowlers play the same general area. She wanted to be able to play inside of them, but when she does, it comes off the oil laboring and hits like a marshmallow.

She will probably never like the ball as now it could be a confidence buster, but it is something that we can play around with.

Again, thank for the ideas....will talk with her more and see which way we decide to go.
    Proud member of bowlingboards.com bowling forums & winner of bowling ball give-away!
    High Series - 704; High Game - 290 (a long time ago) Current Average - 150