Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Do you use urethane or plastic ball for spare pickup?

Chats: 0

Quote Originally Posted by bowl1820 View Post
    You might reread your other thread from last year about this time to see how this compares:

Does anyone here use a urethane for spares instead of plastic?
    http://www.bowlingboards.com/threads...ad-of-plastic?

or You might check phonetek's thread about the same topic:

Spare balls
    http://www.bowlingboards.com/threads/21495-Spare-balls?
    This only goes to show you you can't trust an old brain. I knew something about my post was familiar.
    Arsenal: Raw Hammer Orange/Black Hybrid 14lbs, Blue Hammer urethane 14lbs, Columbia 300 Lava Ball Plastic 14lbs, Highest scratch series 710 Bowling 38 years Never hit that 300 game. Highest game 276, had 11 strikes and one spare in the middle of that game.

I've got an old rubber ball I might toss in a bag....

Quote Originally Posted by Eddy View Post
    I use a Blue Hammer Urethane for most spares. And a plastic ball for the 10 pin.
    I use the Blue Hammer urethane also for spares. Sometimes I can use it as a strike ball depending on lane conditions.
    Arsenal: Raw Hammer Orange/Black Hybrid 14lbs, Blue Hammer urethane 14lbs, Columbia 300 Lava Ball Plastic 14lbs, Highest scratch series 710 Bowling 38 years Never hit that 300 game. Highest game 276, had 11 strikes and one spare in the middle of that game.

Quote Originally Posted by Hammer View Post
    This only goes to show you you can't trust an old brain. I knew something about my post was familiar.
    If it's any consolation I already forgot about that post and it was not all that long ago. For what it's worth, I'll probably use a super polished original black hammer for my spare ball once I make the switch to 15lbs since I already have it.

SandBagger

For spares on the left side I just use my reactive strike ball. For right hand spares (anything right of the head pin) I use plastic. Recently I have begun practicing my left-hand and center spares with the plastic, too just for better consistency on odd conditions.
    Averages: Right (THS):215 | Left (THS):175 | Sport:166 |High Game:300 | High Series:815
    Arsenal: Storm Tropical Storm, 900 Black Ops, Motiv Tank

Chats: 10

Plastic for 10 pin only. Everything else reactive.
    In my bag: Roto Grip UFO, Roto Grip Hyper Cell Fused and Roto Grip Hustle hyb

League High Series: 745 (12/23/19) High Game: 300 (11/23/15)

Proud member of BowlingBoards.com

Plastic for 10,6 or 3,6,10. Reactive for everything else. Steve
    Current arsenal...Roto Grip Nuclear Cell, Hustle PBR, Roto Grip Gem, Idle Helios and Own It Spare. 300 rev rate, 16 mph off hand, 13.3 tilt,61 degrees rotation pap 4 9/16 over 1 1/8 up.

Currently using urethane, Red Hammer Faball. It's an old ball that needs to be retired. So in the market for something new. Debating if I should go to plastic and get a White Dot or T Zone. Or go with something I'd curve just a little like Widow Spare, Maxim or even Storm Mix or Ice Storm.

Bowling Guru
    Chats: 13

Quote Originally Posted by Jeeper_12 View Post
    Currently using urethane, Red Hammer Faball. It's an old ball that needs to be retired. So in the market for something new. Debating if I should go to plastic and get a White Dot or T Zone. Or go with something I'd curve just a little like Widow Spare, Maxim or even Storm Mix or Ice Storm.
    A Maxim or a Storm Ice Storm are going to perform like a White dot or T-Zone. There's not really any thing different about them other than the logo and the colors. The Black Widow Spare is not in my opinion a true spare ball. It has a dynamic core and I suspect it very difficult to throw one straight. The Storm Mix, having a pancake core, can be thrown quite straight, but, because of the urethane cover stock, will react to any axis rotation that you give it.

My own recommendation, definitely in the "do as I say" category since I use a Mix, is get plastic and use it for any cpins left of the 2 pin and right of the 3.
    John

I picked up a new ball yesterday. Went in thinking I'd walk out with with either a WD or Maxim or even make an order for the Ice Storm but still had the thought of a possible urethane ball. Well my PSO had a Storm Pitch Black in the back that had about 5 throws on it, the holes were filled except the thumb. Offered a great deal on it, and I pulled the trigger on it. Once it got drilled, did some practice shots with it, and liked it.

It'll be my new spare ball, I was able to keep it straight with very minimum curve. Figured it'll hold up better than plastic and can be used on lanes that are rather dry. It'll be more versatile than a plastic ball.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast