Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Do you use urethane or plastic ball for spare pickup?

Chats: 0

Default Do you use urethane or plastic ball for spare pickup?

Since I have been bowling I have used urethane for spare pickup since urethane came out. I don't use plastic because I can't throw a straight ball. My urethane has just a little hook when I throw it to pick up spares and I am just used to that. If I need it to hook more then I just release it differently. Sometimes though I have used my reactive ball to pick up certain spares like the 6/10 leave. I am left handed by the way. So what do you prefer for spare pickup?
    Arsenal: Raw Hammer Orange/Black Hybrid 14lbs, Blue Hammer urethane 14lbs, Columbia 300 Lava Ball Plastic 14lbs, Highest scratch series 710 Bowling 38 years Never hit that 300 game. Highest game 276, had 11 strikes and one spare in the middle of that game.

I was using a plastic ball for spares. But just recently I decided to free up the extra place in bag for another reactive. I am able to flatten my wrist and just throw straight with reactive for spares. To me it just made sense to have an extra reactive that I can use for different conditions.
    In my bag: Roto Grip Halo, Roto Grip Halo Pearl, Rot Grip Idol Pearl, Storm Fever Pitch, Storm Ice
    High Game: 300 (2), High Series: 783
    THS Average: 215

Plastic for 4,6,7,10 and any splits with any of the pins mention. Need to because of the bowlers I bowl with .

Super Moderator
    Blog Entries
    Chats: 554

Quote Originally Posted by Hammer View Post
    Since I have been bowling I have used urethane for spare pickup since urethane came out. I don't use plastic because I can't throw a straight ball. My urethane has just a little hook when I throw it to pick up spares and I am just used to that. If I need it to hook more then I just release it differently. Sometimes though I have used my reactive ball to pick up certain spares like the 6/10 leave. I am left handed by the way. So what do you prefer for spare pickup?
    You might reread your other thread from last year about this time to see how this compares:

Does anyone here use a urethane for spares instead of plastic?
    http://www.bowlingboards.com/threads...ad-of-plastic?

or You might check phonetek's thread about the same topic:

Spare balls
    http://www.bowlingboards.com/threads/21495-Spare-balls?
    Last edited by bowl1820; 02-12-2018 at 03:59 PM.

Right handed Stroker, high track ,about 13 degree axis tilt. PAP is located 5 9/16” over 1 3/4” up.Speed ave. about 14 mph at the pins. Medium rev’s.High Game 300, High series 798

"Talent without training is nothing." Luke Skywalker

I am a lefty as well. I actually use urethane for my strike ball and 6 10 because I am on dry wood lanes. I use plastic for the 4 7.

Chats: 1

I always use polyester. If you can find a couple of Rolf Gauger's Triax spare system, that would be a decent starting point,
    Style: Power Stroker/Tweener - 16.5 - 17.5 mph, PAP 4 1/2 x 0

In the bags:
    Retooled with 15 lb equipment.

In the Bag: Radical Ludicrous, 900Global Honey Badger Claw, 900Global Honey Badger, DV8 spareball

In the Bullpen : Radical Quick Fix, Radical Katana

The archives: Ebonite Grey Wolf (first 300), Red Wolf (first 700). Just can't let them go.

I am a proud member of Bowlingboards.com bowling Forums

Bowling Guru
    Chats: 13

Quote Originally Posted by JerseyJim View Post
    I always use polyester. If you can find a couple of Rolf Gauger's Triax spare system, that would be a decent starting point,
    Bowl1820 posted this link which still works a few years ago:
    http://home.earthlink.net/~litefroze...riax_spare.pdf
    John

Pin Crusher

Use a highly polished Motiv Rebel Tank (urethane). Works well for me, plus it's a great one to have on dry lanes.
    Old guy with power (15.5-16; 325). Current arsenal--Storm Summit, RotoGrip Idol Helios, Storm Phaze III, Storm SureLock (retired), Storm IQ Tour Nano and Motiv Rebel tank (spare/dry). High sanctioned game - 300 (4). High sanctioned series - 856. A.V. 300-s - 8. Longest string - 25.
    2023/2024 YTD highs--High game-289; high series-739

I use a Blue Hammer Urethane for most spares. And a plastic ball for the 10 pin.

Chats: 256

Polyester ball for all right side spares on house conditions. Poly ball for all spares on Sport conditions.
    High Sanctioned Scratch Game - 300(12) Hi Sanctioned Scratch Series - 822(3)
    2016/17 Book Average=221, 2017/18 Composite Average=223
    Equipment in the bag - Storm Crux Prime, Storm Physix, Roto Grip Idol, Roto Grip Idol Pearl, Roto Grip Hyper Cell Fused, Storm Sure Lock, Storm Drive, Roto Grip Winner Solid, Roto Grip Haywire, Storm Fever Pitch, Roto Grip Red ball spare.

Rev Rate 400. Speed 18 at heads, 16.5-17 at pins. Axis tilt 10, Axis Rotation 55. PAP 5 5/8 x 5/8 up

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast