Thread: What was the thing that "clicked" for you with your game?

Default What was the thing that "clicked" for you with your game?

I am rebuilding from the ground up. I am working on grip, swing, approach and release. But, I am interested in knowing what was the first thing you remember working on and what was the last thing that you developed that really helped your game come together?

Chats: 256

No necessarily in this order, but for me was a couple things:

1. balance and posting my shots
    2. not muscling the ball
    3. spare shooting
    4. grip checked and changed
    High Sanctioned Scratch Game - 300(12) Hi Sanctioned Scratch Series - 822(3)
    2016/17 Book Average=221, 2017/18 Composite Average=223
    Equipment in the bag - Storm Crux Prime, Storm Physix, Roto Grip Idol, Roto Grip Idol Pearl, Roto Grip Hyper Cell Fused, Storm Sure Lock, Storm Drive, Roto Grip Winner Solid, Roto Grip Haywire, Storm Fever Pitch, Roto Grip Red ball spare.

Rev Rate 400. Speed 18 at heads, 16.5-17 at pins. Axis tilt 10, Axis Rotation 55. PAP 5 5/8 x 5/8 up

Wow! VDUBTX hit it on the nail head!
    I used to fall off my shot to the right very consistently. Didn't realize I was muscling the shot and had no idea how high my backswing was (way too high). With the reactive resin ball I couldn't hit spares worth a hoot. Also, I dropped the ball way too often with my reverse pitch thumb hole.
    Had bad experiences with coaches when I was much younger and never thought I'd go back to one. Found one about 15 miles from me and it was a God send. He helped me with each of these aspects and more. I even got switched from a full roller release to a semi-roller.
    It's been a good trip and still learning. Glad I have a good coach and pro-shop owner to help me out along the way. These two fellows have helped me to enjoy the game with all the changes that have come into this sport since 1980 or so...

Chats: 0

Opening my shoulders more using the modern swing when playing deeper, not muscling my forward swing, staying more behind the ball at the release area and using a light grip on the ball which gives me more revs and a better ball reaction.
    Arsenal: Raw Hammer Orange/Black Hybrid 14lbs, Blue Hammer urethane 14lbs, Columbia 300 Lava Ball Plastic 14lbs, Highest scratch series 710 Bowling 38 years Never hit that 300 game. Highest game 276, had 11 strikes and one spare in the middle of that game.

I'd have to say when I first learned the 4 step approach. Going from that little kid Fred Flintstone delivery to a nice smooth 4 step was my the biggest game changer. Later it was staying down posting my shot and watching my mark. THAT alone made all the difference from a 170-180 bower to a 200+ because to do it your timing has to be spot on thus increasing accuracy.

SandBagger

Switching to a five step
    Learning to slide
    Learning to throw a straight ball
    Learning to change angle of rotation

But that was when things were going well. Right now I have to figure out what's not clicking because I've been tanking the past three weeks.
    Averages: Right (THS):215 | Left (THS):175 | Sport:166 |High Game:300 | High Series:815
    Arsenal: Storm Tropical Storm, 900 Black Ops, Motiv Tank

Cranker

Something clicks for me every time and then I come back next week and find out I still suck. =P

That's the thing with bowling, there's lots of things that come into play, timing, arm swing, drift, targeting, pushaway, lane transition, learning how to read your ball. So anyone of these things can click for you but the special nights is when they all click together.